Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Mar 7, 2019 at 7:18 PM Post #796 of 1,697
Have you tried the Schiit -https://www.schiit.com/products/eitr

It can only do PCM up to 24/192, more than what you need. Dedicated to PCM only. Only has Coax but it seems that is all you will need. Won't need to deal with the firmware ****.
Would Eitr be an upgrade to my U12 (that just works)?

Mar 7, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #797 of 1,697
@Chopin75 The U16 does sound great with 44 - 96k PCM. I have spotty results 176k PCM and above. Not a lot of luck with DSD but only have a few files.

Again I would not rush to upgrade if you need or can’t tolerate less than 100% operational performance. Wait and see if the issues get resolved. The U16 can be frustrating until understood but rewarding enough when it works!

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:32 PM Post #799 of 1,697
Would Eitr be an upgrade to my U12 (that just works)?
Not sure, I never tried it. You can find a forum for that and ask. It is supposed to be one of the best DDC for PCM only with no I2S, but if Coax is all you need, it may be perfect. It has 2 separate clocks for 44hz and 48hz which supposedly would work better. It already has its own LPS . so no need to plug anything else to it. 15 day trial period.

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:46 PM Post #800 of 1,697
Not sure, I never tried it. You can find a forum for that and ask. It is supposed to be one of the best DDC for PCM only with no I2S, but if Coax is all you need, it may be perfect. It has 2 separate clocks for 44hz and 48hz which supposedly would work better. It already has its own LPS . so no need to plug anything else to it. 15 day trial period.
Anyone on this thread compared the U12 to U16, and/or to Schiit Eitr?

Mar 7, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #801 of 1,697
Anyone on this thread compared the U12 to U16, and/or to Schiit Eitr?
Check out post 172, someone wrote:
"Just a heads up for those with the Job Integraged amp. I have had it with the U16 for about a week now and the improvement is significant, using the Job's inbuilt dac. I had the Schiit Eitr before and it made little difference with the Job but this is completely different. The soundstage is much better and there is more clarity. It was a bit rough in the trebble initially, but that is wearing off, and I am using a PC with the Jcat USB card but no extra isolation."

You can ask him directly, check if he uses I2S or Coax etc

Mar 8, 2019 at 1:18 AM Post #802 of 1,697
Heads up to those who are using SOtM streamers with U16.
I wrote to May from SOtM regarding native DSD support and apparently SOtM doesn't support native DSD streaming for U16.
However - I do understand that there are some people here who have managed to successfully stream DSD to U16 via their SOtM streamer - this puzzles SOtM as well.
The good news is that an upcoming firmware update will allow the SOtM streamer to stream native DSD to U16 - hopefully by then the clicks and pops is a thing in the past

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:26 AM Post #803 of 1,697
Agree w dacladder I experience the same.
I do not have alot of dsd files also.
Hopefully gustard can come up with better firmware on dsd issues
It's matter of compatibility here. Gustart to Gustard play perfect. I never experience any issue and play DSD every day.

Mar 8, 2019 at 5:44 AM Post #804 of 1,697
Works problemless in PCM & DSD Native modes with my Honor 10 (via Hiby Music player), but sound isn't so good as for Gustard ASIO driver for Windows, imo.

Hi,

I am using Huawei phone as well, try switch it to "super power saving" mode and turn on airplane mode, the sound will much much improved.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2019 at 2:46 PM Post #806 of 1,697
I owned the Schiit Eitr a couple of years ago. It had pinpoint imaging, that was sure, but also coarseness which left me unhappy. My system had different components at the time, but U16 seems more pleasant in the long run, little doubt about that.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 3:54 AM Post #808 of 1,697
Has anyone compared sound qualities against a modded Singxer SU-1 (like Kitsune or Magna Hifi)? I did recent comparisons with the regular SU-1 and F1 and the U16 still has the edge in the sound department. Nothing stood out as way better but in generally a little bit better everywhere and definitely noticeable.

Anyway just wondering how the U16 compares in the sound department to the modded SU-1.

yes, as stated some post before, I compared U16 with "singxer su-1 magna version" and could not tell a real difference.

U16 is really annoying. I tested some new headphones this weekend and after some time notice slightly bass distortions, mids and highs were ok. After initially blaming the headphone, amp and dac I found out it's the U16, but only the bnc port. this was completely unexpected, as I played 44 and 48khz music. I2s had no distortion. even off/on could not solve the problem.

this is completely frustrating.

before its was clear when music starts if it plays correctly with u16 or not, as distortion were heavy and therefore clearly noticeable.

I switched back the su-1, no distortion, no problem...

it's a pitty, I like the display and the additional toslink port of the u16, but if I can not trust, if its plays correctly when it plays, its again annoying.

Mar 10, 2019 at 6:56 AM Post #810 of 1,697
There are some comments regarding firmware 1.61 vs 1.4 psa and distrtion some pages back...this might help..

I know, some of the comments are coming from myself.

but as I wrote, until now distortions were clearly noticable and dedicated to specific sample rates.

the distortion I discovered now, started after some listing and were not so obvious at the beginning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back