Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Mar 2, 2019 at 1:01 AM Post #751 of 1,697
After my first unit stopped working, I was able to send it back and exchange it for a new one. After doing this trick, I was able to remove the pre-emphasis flag the U16 sends my PS Audio Directstream DAC:

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/getting-oppo-dsd-output-to-the-direct-stream-dac/2744/102

After a few days listening to this DDC (with the HDMI mod I did) I think it sounds wonderful. It's smooth and very natural sounding to me. This is an excellent product for the price. They still need to work out a few software bugs, but I think, as it stands, this is a solid product more people should try.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #756 of 1,697
Does this mean a new firmware has been issued? Cause it's not available on Shenzen Audio 's download page.
I have 1.61 installed, PSA I2S mode enabled on the U16 and no issues getting sample rates from 44.1 to 192khz, 16 or 24 bit. DSD 64 and 128 work as well. With prior firmwares I used to get odd sounding artifacts (pops and ticks) and now that seems to be gone. I did have to cover pin 15 on my HDMI cable to remove the pre-emphasis flag however. I have a PS Audio Directstream DAC.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #757 of 1,697
I have 1.61 installed, PSA I2S mode enabled on the U16 and no issues getting sample rates from 44.1 to 192khz, 16 or 24 bit. DSD 64 and 128 work as well. With prior firmwares I used to get odd sounding artifacts (pops and ticks) and now that seems to be gone. I did have to cover pin 15 on my HDMI cable to remove the pre-emphasis flag however. I have a PS Audio Directstream DAC.
Maybe that pin covering is the key. Gustard is slow to address those issues I find.

Mar 2, 2019 at 10:57 AM Post #758 of 1,697
My understanding is that we cannot expect too much from Gustard for updating the software/firmware as quickly as want them to. My impression is that this is a tiny company with a very small engineering team and no software team at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back