Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Feb 7, 2019 at 3:53 AM Post #601 of 1,697
Hi,

To those lowfi-heads and other interested out there like me whom use only oldschool highres files (max. 24-192) stored at home (no streaming) and connect the DDC with a good spdif coax to their DACs:

The Gustard U16 plays without any problems just fine and 100% reliable.
The 'MUSIC' which comes out of this item after aprx. 200h of playing is incredible good; clean, neutral, transparent, full of details and on the other hand very involving, musically and 'warm'.

For those, whom don't need too much comfort because its all about the music: probably the best result you will get using the new wtfplay linuxbased playerOS - I can strictly recommend.

Greetings,
Thomas

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2019 at 7:52 AM Post #604 of 1,697
My experience corroborates Thomas' observation. Last week end, I played a few rips made from vinyl records. They are 24-96, 24-192, etc, I did not have any problem to play them in the following set up:

windows 10 + foobar2000/wasapi -> USB to U16 -> I2S to Gustard X20 dac

I remember it correctly, I think foobar2000 with U16's ASIO driver also worked well

Feb 7, 2019 at 9:04 AM Post #608 of 1,697
My experience corroborates Thomas' observation. Last week end, I played a few rips made from vinyl records. They are 24-96, 24-192, etc, I did not have any problem to play them in the following set up:

windows 10 + foobar2000/wasapi -> USB to U16 -> I2S to Gustard X20 dac

I remember it correctly, I think foobar2000 with U16's ASIO driver also worked well

Hi,

And thank you.

This is what I tried to say: if you have a simple setup with local stored musicfiles up to 24-192 (oldschool hires :wink:) and you'd like to play these with foobar or jriver on windows or any player linux the Gustard U16 as normal as delivered is a best buy and reliable and sounds, as mentionend, especially with an audiophile tuned computer which runs with wtfplay incredibly good.

If you play DSD files streamed from elsewhere with a 'modern' streaming app you'd like to connect your ddc to a ps-style dac it might be better to wait or having a highfrustration tolerance level.

Feb 8, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #609 of 1,697
I think the bnc spdif connection sounds much better than the rca. Even though I have to use rca at the dac end.
Thank you for this tip. There is a huge difference between the RCA and the BNC. The BNC is with much more clarity and wider sound stage.

As this BNC output is configurable either for S/PDIF or Word Clock output, it means it may have something to do with the firmware.
I use the Gustard mode (displayed as GSD) in 1.61, as it must be the default and cannot be worse than any other modes.

Feb 8, 2019 at 8:50 AM Post #610 of 1,697
If I remember it correctly, the difference between RCA and BNC has something to do with the impedance. BNC is easier to maintain the 75 ohm impedance than RAC.

I might be wrong since it was a long time ago when I was interested making cables.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:18 AM Post #612 of 1,697
If I remember it correctly, the difference between RCA and BNC has something to do with the impedance. BNC is easier to maintain the 75 ohm impedance than RAC.

I might be wrong since it was a long time ago when I was interested making cables.

That is correct. Its impossible for the RCA architecture to carry the 75 ohm required for BNC, so a BNC cable with RCA phono connections on the end aren't strictly any different to any other RCA cable.

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #614 of 1,697
Are your coax cables and BNC connectors truly 75 ohm versus 50 ohm? Here's how to visually verify BNC connectors. 50 ohm connectors (and cables) employ more Teflon dielectric material around the center conductor. 75 ohm BNC connectors do not have the added Teflon dielectric material. Take a look at the diagram below...

BNC-50-ohm-75-ohm.jpg

Feb 8, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #615 of 1,697
There is the question of correct 75 ohm impedance, slightly higher output voltage and it may also bypass the isolation transformer which the rca output uses.
In the manual,
COAX 同轴接口: 输出阻抗75 Ohm,输出电平500mV P-P @75 Ohm 负载
多功能BNC 接口:输出阻抗75 Ohm,输出电平750mV P-P @75 Ohm 负载

Users who are viewing this thread

Back