Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #421 of 1,697
Does this work with Audio GD Master 7??

I have not used such an DDC before. what should i be aware of before making the purchase?
Can i just use a regular HDMI cable to connect my dac to this U16?
Ya, the cables are the regular HDMI cables. Difference is in devices.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #423 of 1,697
Does this work with Audio GD Master 7??

It works fine if you have the HDMI I2S adapter board in the Master 7. Most M7s shipped with the RJ45 I2S input.

Best advice on HDMI cables and the AGD DACs is to use the shortest HDMI cable for your need. These DACs like low jitter sources And at 0.5m lengths and below it is hard to distinguish between cheaper and expensive cables. But it is fun to compare cables and find what you like best. I have 1.4, 2.0, and 2.1 HDMI cables and they all work and sound good (short lengths).

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 10:24 AM Post #425 of 1,697
I second @FredA 's enthusiasm for the Allo Usbridge driving the USB input on the U16 (w/ 1.4 psa f/w). Sounds exceptionally well using the AGD R7 DAC and its 'V3A' f/w (HDMI I2S input).

But I think I may have a defective U16. Always and never any exception after a power-on start I get static noise on the first playback. To correct I attempt play at a few different sampling rates and then suddenly all is OK. This happens connected to Windows or the Usbridge USB. I tried both 1.4 and 1.58 f/w on the U16. It's like the U16 has to warm up for a few minutes before it functions properly.

Jan 15, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #427 of 1,697
Did you try to play from PC to see is it same effect?

The U16 functions the same way whether connected to Windows or the Usbridge. I've had the U16 since late Nov. 2018 and use it every day. Same static noise on first play attempts.

But I tolerate the initial noise and flaky 176/192khz play because my system never sounded better! I wish the U16 operated like the Singxers in my system. They never give me one bit of issue.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #428 of 1,697
I second @FredA 's enthusiasm for the Allo Usbridge driving the USB input on the U16 (w/ 1.4 psa f/w). Sounds exceptionally well using the AGD R7 DAC and its 'V3A' f/w (HDMI I2S input).

But I think I may have a defective U16. Always and never any exception after a power-on start I get static noise on the first playback. To correct I attempt play at a few different sampling rates and then suddenly all is OK. This happens connected to Windows or the Usbridge USB. I tried both 1.4 and 1.58 f/w on the U16. It's like the U16 has to warm up for a few minutes before it functions properly.
The depth is excellent with this setup and the hdmi cable you use will make a difference.

Anyone has any thoughts about the pi audio group UberBuss power conditioner? Still experiencing some annoying sound quality fluctuations.

Last edited:
Jan 15, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #429 of 1,697
i bought my AGD M7 second hand, the previous owner was using it with a Singxer su-1 and recommended me to get one DDC as well.

So i reckon if it worked with the Singxer su-1, it should work with this u16 too?

As mentioned above, best to double check that your Master 7 has the HDMI style i2s connection in the rear panel...
(It is doubtful, but if the prior owner was using some SU-1 SPDIF connection then you may have other DDC options to consider...)

Jan 15, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #431 of 1,697
Just a comment I bought this; http://www.hdtracks.com/arnesen-magnificat at 352kHz/24bit WAV and did a quick test.
Plays fine; U16->NOS7, (WIN2012 server, AO, JPlay Mini, Hibernate, dedicated fanless i5 PC with ATX LPS, PPA stuff, etc...)

I ordered another U16 for my R1...

what fw do you use?

how long was the test?
for some seconds it seems to work fine for me, with sample rates of 176/192 and higher, but than suddenly to sound starts to disturb heavily.
and even during the seconds it seems to work, the data transfer through the u16 is not bit perfect, according to the RME ADI-2 Pro. for sample rates up to 96khz it is.

Jan 16, 2019 at 9:15 PM Post #432 of 1,697
what fw do you use?

how long was the test?
for some seconds it seems to work fine for me, with sample rates of 176/192 and higher, but than suddenly to sound starts to disturb heavily.
and even during the seconds it seems to work, the data transfer through the u16 is not bit perfect, according to the RME ADI-2 Pro. for sample rates up to 96khz it is.
Hi,
I am using the PSAudio 1.4 firmware.
I only played about half the Magnificat album, maybe 4 tracks total ...
But I have played a few full albums at 176 and 192 PCM... no problem, files work as expected without stuttering, hiss, etc..

Jan 16, 2019 at 10:29 PM Post #433 of 1,697
With Volumio and 1.4, 176 and 192 seem to work when maxing the output buffer to 12Mb.

I listened to a 96k album earlier. Best rendition ever of this album (Stanley Turrentine Sugar).

However, the transition from 176 to. 192 is problematic. When doing so, the 192 track is full of artefacts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back