Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Aug 15, 2019 at 12:44 PM Post #1,261 of 1,697
May also want to try one of the Studer900 linear supplies. They have gotten stellar approval from various corners of this hobby, including DAC designer John Westlake. Some rudimentary measurements at diyaudio puts noise at only a few uV, which I think is substantially lower than the previously mentioned (Jay's Audio?) Talema and a member even ranked it with both Salas and Uptone Audio supplies - high praise. The Studer is way underpriced for such performance.

Aug 15, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #1,262 of 1,697
:beerchug: i was sceptical, and you where right as you suggested -> Wait - the u16 needs to burn in/ the V2A boards are clearly better/ the acusilicon clocks are a must have...
So to try the OCXO with the linear power source is a clear way for me, but i will also wait for the C16 feedback here…
Thank you very much @FredA, @JaMo and @DACLadder for sharing this!

Aug 15, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #1,263 of 1,697
I got this lps. i dont know how much diff it makes in itself, only it does not contaminate the power line like a switching supply does. The form factor is perfect as it can sit on top of the u16 right next to the ocxo, they are both the same size. Another plus is it does not run hot. It is a quality unit IMO.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/25W-TALEMA-Ultra-Low-Noise-linear-power-supply-DC-12V-2A-upgrade-your-device/143331836888?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

I also got a silver-plated copper dc cable from Ghentaudio. It is shielded to avoid rfi contamination. And also has a star quad config for the same purpose.

Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it ASAP, however do you thinking it's ok to stack LPS on top or underneath of U16? I had major interference when I had Apple Airport Express on top of U16

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:37 PM Post #1,264 of 1,697
Thanks for the recommendation, I will look into it ASAP, however do you thinking it's ok to stack LPS on top or underneath of U16? I had major interference when I had Apple Airport Express on top of U16
The airport airport express emits wifi, not the ocxo. I believe gustard has made its clock the same size as the u16 to be able to stack them.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #1,265 of 1,697
The airport airport express emits wifi, not the ocxo. I believe gustard has made its clock the same size as the u16 to be able to stack them.

Thanks again @FredA, looks like initial review of C16(Gustard Clock) is favorable, but consider the price is between 500~550USD, not sure how much of improvement to what I already have, I'm on the fence of ordering one.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #1,266 of 1,697
Thanks again @FredA, looks like initial review of C16(Gustard Clock) is favorable, but consider the price is between 500~550USD, not sure how much of improvement to what I already have, I'm on the fence of ordering one.
I would never put such money. They is not much margin of improvment over what i get with my 200$ investment IMO. Don't know why Gustard ask so much for its unit.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:30 PM Post #1,267 of 1,697
Hello guys
You have tempted me again with this clock artifact for the U16!!
But I've got a little lost. Wich external clock would you recomend exactly?
If the results are similar, I would much prefer the one with out the GPS.
Its clear that a great LPS for the price is the Studer 900, if I decide to buy any clock.
On the other hand, could you please describe again the improvements in sound with the external clock?
Thank you!!

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:43 PM Post #1,268 of 1,697
I would never put such money. They is not much margin of improvment over what i get with my 200$ investment IMO. Don't know why Gustard ask so much for its unit.

I totally agree, with what we have now, it's hard to imagine C16 will be much better or if any improvement at all. My go to guy whom has some communication with Gustard thinks as Chinese brand is starting to figure out the benefit of clock, they are charging as much as they can before the others jumping into the bandwagon.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #1,269 of 1,697
Hello guys
You have tempted me again with this clock artifact for the U16!!
But I've got a little lost. Wich external clock would you recomend exactly?
If the results are similar, I would much prefer the one with out the GPS.
Its clear that a great LPS for the price is the Studer 900, if I decide to buy any clock.
On the other hand, could you please describe again the improvements in sound with the external clock?
Thank you!!
The quality of the ocxo is what matters the most, i don't think ths gps synching helps at all. And note that whatever the ocxo, they are all better than the Accusilicons on paper by a big margin.

You get better imaging, better rendered ambience details, echos, resonnances. Thighter bass, the sound gets more liquid. It reduces sound quality variability. Since i have the ocxo properly setup, i pretty much have the best sound possible all the time.

Aug 15, 2019 at 11:52 PM Post #1,270 of 1,697
The quality of the ocxo is what matters the most, i don't think ths gps synching helps at all. And note that whatever the ocxo, they are all better than the Accusilicons on paper by a big margin.

You get better imaging, better rendered ambience details, echos, resonnances. Thighter bass, the sound gets more liquid. It reduces sound quality variability. Since i have the ocxo properly setup, i pretty much have the best sound possible all the time.

Thank you Fred!
Can you please post again the web link of the clock you have bought?

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #1,271 of 1,697
Aug 16, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #1,272 of 1,697

That is a very interesting experience about the Airport Express... good to know.

I checked a few of my LPS's with a Trifield 100XE meter, and the LPS's I have (China made popular models) emit substantial magnetic interference from the body and some electrical interference from the power inlet area. I have no idea if this would affect the U16 ( I doubt it, the U16 and SU-1 have a similar magnetic signature themselves).
...but I usually distance my LPS's from source circuits (sometimes use a separate final regulator closer to the circuit) and audio cables, and/or use MuMetal sheets
Last I checked, 2 pcs of 1mm thick MuMetal sheets = approx. 18 CM of distance for magnetic, 1 sheet does a pretty good job eliminating the small electric interference.
But I doubt any of that is necessary, I often see manufacturers sales images showing power supplies stacked with components.
For temperature considerations, I am using a free-standing approx. 2.5A LPS for the GPS clock box, and the LPS is not generating excess heat - the top is pretty much at room temperature (sometimes 32C + this time of year). I have had similar LPS's get very hot under heavy current draw (ie. charging Uptone LPS 1), so it seems that the GPS clock is not pressuring the LPS much, but if you are stacking maybe an idea to consider a LPS with some extra amperage headroom and/or good heat sinks to keep temps under control.. and keep a little extra space between the components.

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:59 AM Post #1,273 of 1,697
That is a very interesting experience about the Airport Express... good to know.

I checked a few of my LPS's with a Trifield 100XE meter, and the LPS's I have (China made popular models) emit substantial magnetic interference from the body and some electrical interference from the power inlet area. I have no idea if this would affect the U16 ( I doubt it, the U16 and SU-1 have a similar magnetic signature themselves).
...but I usually distance my LPS's from source circuits (sometimes use a separate final regulator closer to the circuit) and audio cables, and/or use MuMetal sheets
Last I checked, 2 pcs of 1mm thick MuMetal sheets = approx. 18 CM of distance for magnetic, 1 sheet does a pretty good job eliminating the small electric interference.
But I doubt any of that is necessary, I often see manufacturers sales images showing power supplies stacked with components.
For temperature considerations, I am using a free-standing approx. 2.5A LPS for the GPS clock box, and the LPS is not generating excess heat - the top is pretty much at room temperature (sometimes 32C + this time of year). I have had similar LPS's get very hot under heavy current draw (ie. charging Uptone LPS 1), so it seems that the GPS clock is not pressuring the LPS much, but if you are stacking maybe an idea to consider a LPS with some extra amperage headroom and/or good heat sinks to keep temps under control.. and keep a little extra space between the components.

Luckily I read about interference from this forum, as soon as I remove airport express from U16, music was fully balance again.

Our clock box I don't think generate too much heat, I only turn it off few times since it was in my possession. Yeah, the weather has been 32~36 average daily, check both U16 and clock daily to ensure it doesn't get too warm. I think I will just place LPS away from U16 regardless to be safe. Did you notice the difference after you add LPS to the clock? I am wondering if sound can be improved by LPS?

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #1,274 of 1,697
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:13 AM Post #1,275 of 1,697
Luckily I read about interference from this forum, as soon as I remove airport express from U16, music was fully balance again.

Our clock box I don't think generate too much heat, I only turn it off few times since it was in my possession. Yeah, the weather has been 32~36 average daily, check both U16 and clock daily to ensure it doesn't get too warm. I think I will just place LPS away from U16 regardless to be safe. Did you notice the difference after you add LPS to the clock? I am wondering if sound can be improved by LPS?

I setup up the GPS clock with a LPS from the start, so never had the chance to compare against the wall-wart..
I am going to add a DR 12V LT3045 regulator box in a few weeks - will report if any change.. I do not mind investing in power supplies as they always seem to be useful sooner or later.
I am just a little North of Shenzhen, sometimes hot, but LPS's are pretty cheap and freight is almost free.. so pretty easy for me to not have any switching PS in my stereo room..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back