Gustard U16 - the first USB Interface featuring ESS USB chip
Mar 25, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #841 of 1,697
""@peteg the SU-6 is superb, doesnt need any isolation with the power stage design. AGD M-11S sounds better without the iFi Nano Galvanic in the USB part of the chain. How the Cyrstek femtoclocks line up against Accusilicon i don't know, but this DAC is an earlier build that doesnt have HDMI I2S so I can't try the U16 with it. In any case, vs the Amanero USB, SU-6 improved the sound of the M-11S tremendously. Give it a go if you're seriously considering it""

Hi, do I understand you correctly in that you have the External, CMOS, Singxer SU-6? or do you have an internal board that plugs into your DAC that is an SU-6 board?

I've been interested to know what kind of improvements the SU-6 has utilized over the F-1. In my system, even with the built in power supply, - the Gustard U16 just kills the F-1. (And the F-1 was much better than the SU-1).

But at 3 times the price, - no way am I going to try the SU-6 without an enormous consensus of U-16 folks who've moved to the SU-6.

Thanks,

Mar 25, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #842 of 1,697
I am not aware of SU-6 internal board, but that would be interesting. F-1 is same as SU-1 except it can be supplied by internal or extenal LPS, with extremely shirt I2S path (skip the HDMI ) |, hence can be better, esp if SU-1has no DC LPS,
Does the U-16 have Linear regulator inside? I know it is plugged as AC

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #843 of 1,697
""@peteg the SU-6 is superb, doesnt need any isolation with the power stage design. AGD M-11S sounds better without the iFi Nano Galvanic in the USB part of the chain. How the Cyrstek femtoclocks line up against Accusilicon i don't know, but this DAC is an earlier build that doesnt have HDMI I2S so I can't try the U16 with it. In any case, vs the Amanero USB, SU-6 improved the sound of the M-11S tremendously. Give it a go if you're seriously considering it""

Hi, do I understand you correctly in that you have the External, CMOS, Singxer SU-6? or do you have an internal board that plugs into your DAC that is an SU-6 board?

I've been interested to know what kind of improvements the SU-6 has utilized over the F-1. In my system, even with the built in power supply, - the Gustard U16 just kills the F-1. (And the F-1 was much better than the SU-1).

But at 3 times the price, - no way am I going to try the SU-6 without an enormous consensus of U-16 folks who've moved to the SU-6.

Thanks,

Yes, the SU-6 is an external unit like the SU-1. I decided to buy it primarily because it has RJ45 I2S which i need for my 2017 AudioGD Master-11 Singularity, and I chose it over the old SU-1 as it has a much cleaner power supply design and has Crystek 957 femtoclocks. I can only compare it against the previous isolated USB setup - Matrix element H PCIe card (Crystek 957 femtoclocks, external iFi low noise DC power) -> iFi Mercury cable -> ifi Nano Galvanic -> MPS OCC USB cable -> AGD Amanero USB. With SU-6 I2S instead of USB, the background is so black, and dynamics, heft & realism of sounds from the DAC improved tremendously.

Buying this sort of gear can be a leap of faith. If you are happy with your U16 and it works flawlessly with your gear, just enjoy your music and put the SU-6 out of mind. :)

All i can say is that i wish i had read this thread more thoroughly beyond the glowing sound reviews, as the U16's firmware issues, static and playback problems via HDMI I2S with my other AGD DAC, R2R-R1, is immensely frustrating and just outright deserving of a 1-star rating. I posted a day or two ago about finding one fixed setting that finally worked with the kind help from others here in this thread... after a system restart, it's now all static again. I give up on the U16 for now, will hook it up again when Gustard removes their proverbial finger out of their behind and fixes the damn thing.
IMG_20190208_152115.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2019 at 12:29 PM Post #844 of 1,697
Yes, the SU-6 is an external unit like the SU-1. I decided to buy it primarily because it has RJ45 I2S which i need for my 2017 AudioGD Master-11 Singularity, and I chose it over the old SU-1 as it has a much cleaner power supply design and has Crystek 957 femtoclocks. I can only compare it against the previous isolated USB setup - Matrix element H PCIe card (Crystek 957 femtoclocks, external iFi low noise DC power) -> iFi Mercury cable -> ifi Nano Galvanic -> MPS OCC USB cable -> AGD Amanero USB. With SU-6 I2S instead of USB, the background is so black, and dynamics, heft & realism of sounds from the DAC improved tremendously.

Buying this sort of gear can be a leap of faith. If you are happy with your U16 and it works flawlessly with your gear, just enjoy your music and put the SU-6 out of mind. :)

All i can say is that i wish i had read this thread more thoroughly beyond the glowing sound reviews, as the U16's firmware issues, static and playback problems via HDMI I2S with my other AGD DAC, R2R-R1, is immensely frustrating and just outright deserving of a 1-star rating. I posted a day or two ago about finding one fixed setting that finally worked with the kind help from others here in this thread... after a system restart, it's now all static again. I give up on the U16 for now, will hook it up again when Gustard removes their proverbial finger out of their behind and fixes the damn thing.
Hiya!

Thanks for your reply and thoughts..... I hear you. The funny thing is, - I was happy with the F-1 until I plugged in the U-16. (I have had zero problems with the U16: but I certainly can appreciate the fact that others here have, - and I understand their frustrations. I must say that I use the U-16 in a very limited capacity, that would likely cause ZERO of the same issues that most others have. Namely, - I use it with a Sonore ultraRendu and only use SPDIF COAX (RCA) as that's what the digital input of my APL Universal player will accept. And, - there is no capacity for hi-rez).

I have owned 5 USB to SPDIF converters: the first of which was a pretty good & given to me for free by my Universal Player's designer, way back in 2003.

I also owned the Matrix2, - and it was not nearly in the same league as either the F-1 or the U-16.

So, - I appreciate all comments regarding comparisons between the SU-6, the F-1 and the U-16. But it would be silly for me, (in my limited use-case), to jump from the U-16 to the triple the price SU-6 without a significant bump in SQ. But, - if the SU-6 is definitely better than the U-16, - I am going to go for it as I can afford it. Also, - my "mistake" with the Matrix2 does loom up there in the forefront.... what was really a "no-brainer" was the sub-$200 price of the F-1.

i think that those "glowing" reviews of the U-16 aren't out of line depending on the application that they are being applied. For those of us running SPDIF only, - the F-1, SU-1, Matrix2, - are not even close. Of course, that being said, if I were trying to run i2s, and DSD files, - I would be frustrated.

I have heard your Audio-GD DAC several times and know it to be an excellent performer and very good value for the money.

Thanks again for your comments.

Mar 26, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #845 of 1,697
Anyone compared the U16 vs. U12, especially when using the SPDIF COAX (RCA) out?
I currently own U12, and my DAC (Metrum Amethyst) does not support AES or I2S, so I use Coax only...
Also, 90-95% of my library is FLACs either 44.1/16 or (few) 96/24. Nothing above 96K or 24bit (and no DSD).

Thanks!

Mar 26, 2019 at 5:13 PM Post #846 of 1,697
Hiya!

Thanks for your reply and thoughts..... I hear you. The funny thing is, - I was happy with the F-1 until I plugged in the U-16. (I have had zero problems with the U16: but I certainly can appreciate the fact that others here have, - and I understand their frustrations. I must say that I use the U-16 in a very limited capacity, that would likely cause ZERO of the same issues that most others have. Namely, - I use it with a Sonore ultraRendu and only use SPDIF COAX (RCA) as that's what the digital input of my APL Universal player will accept. And, - there is no capacity for hi-rez).

I have owned 5 USB to SPDIF converters: the first of which was a pretty good & given to me for free by my Universal Player's designer, way back in 2003.

I also owned the Matrix2, - and it was not nearly in the same league as either the F-1 or the U-16.

So, - I appreciate all comments regarding comparisons between the SU-6, the F-1 and the U-16. But it would be silly for me, (in my limited use-case), to jump from the U-16 to the triple the price SU-6 without a significant bump in SQ. But, - if the SU-6 is definitely better than the U-16, - I am going to go for it as I can afford it. Also, - my "mistake" with the Matrix2 does loom up there in the forefront.... what was really a "no-brainer" was the sub-$200 price of the F-1.

i think that those "glowing" reviews of the U-16 aren't out of line depending on the application that they are being applied. For those of us running SPDIF only, - the F-1, SU-1, Matrix2, - are not even close. Of course, that being said, if I were trying to run i2s, and DSD files, - I would be frustrated.

I have heard your Audio-GD DAC several times and know it to be an excellent performer and very good value for the money.

Thanks again for your comments.

I just bought a wireworld UV7 coax cable to use with the U16 / AGD R1 so that i can at least run in the clocks while hoping Gustard fix the I2S. At least it works now, though not my intended I2S use.

I can probably do a A/B with the SU-6 using COAX for both my R1 and the Master-11 Singularity in coming weeks and let u know my impressions of how the U16 compares.

Mar 27, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #847 of 1,697
I just bought a wireworld UV7 coax cable to use with the U16 / AGD R1 so that i can at least run in the clocks while hoping Gustard fix the I2S. At least it works now, though not my intended I2S use.

I can probably do a A/B with the SU-6 using COAX for both my R1 and the Master-11 Singularity in coming weeks and let u know my impressions of how the U16 compares.
Hi,
That would be most awesome!! Thank you, - and i know that I'm not the only one would look forward to your comparisons.
Cheers,

Mar 30, 2019 at 3:00 AM Post #848 of 1,697
Over at audiosciencereview.com people are discussing Gustard X26 and the problems of its usb connection. They have actually gotten an answer from Gustard saying "Currently, the ESS team is working of this Linux audio driver compatibility related issue. If there is an update that can solve this problem, we will contact you as soon as possible."

Is ESS really working on the driver for the chip or or do they mean the ESS team at Gustard, I wonder.

Mar 30, 2019 at 6:37 AM Post #849 of 1,697
Over at audiosciencereview.com people are discussing Gustard X26 and the problems of its usb connection. They have actually gotten an answer from Gustard saying "Currently, the ESS team is working of this Linux audio driver compatibility related issue. If there is an update that can solve this problem, we will contact you as soon as possible."

Is ESS really working on the driver for the chip or or do they mean the ESS team at Gustard, I wonder.
I think they mean the u16 firmware should be fixed so that it works without any issue with Linux. This would be awesome. I use Volumio, which is Linux-based.

Mar 31, 2019 at 4:16 AM Post #854 of 1,697
Unless ESS has announced that the support has ended and Gustard has bought these chips from a reseller's remaining storage (against advice) because somebody found them to have exceptional sound quality.

That is the story, isn't it?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back