Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Oct 28, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #2,706 of 3,700
  Has anyone heard both the Gustard U12 and Audio-GD DI-2014? I'm on the prowl for a good (but not OR5 level) USB->SPDIF converter. Thanks!

Bit of an old post, but I had a Gustard U12 and compared it to my Audio-GD DI and was terribly disappointed with the Gustard U12 in comparison. USB audio is a really new thing and the technology is quickly evolving, but it seems AGD still is on the cutting edge of what's going on. 

With all the hype in this thread, I was really expecting the Gustard to be a knock out, but in reality, I think it hits at about a $100 USB converter. It sounded dull, grainy and undetailed compared to the Audio-GD. 

Good luck in your search! 

Oct 29, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #2,707 of 3,700

Bit of an old post, but I had a Gustard U12 and compared it to my Audio-GD DI and was terribly disappointed with the Gustard U12 in comparison. USB audio is a really new thing and the technology is quickly evolving, but it seems AGD still is on the cutting edge of what's going on. 

With all the hype in this thread, I was really expecting the Gustard to be a knock out, but in reality, I think it hits at about a $100 USB converter. It sounded dull, grainy and undetailed compared to the Audio-GD. 

Good luck in your search! 

Well that's one vote against - and many for it.  But after doing my own USB bridge shootout - the Gustard U12 was near the bottom of the list.

The Hydra Z and Audio Breeze are really on another level.

Now the Gustard U12 I used - I had upgraded the PS caps - so it was modded.  Same for the Melodious MX-U8 (which is better IMO then the U12).   The iDAC2 was at the bottom - but is really a DAC, as it can be used as a USB bridge as well.

The thread is very popluar with over 215,000 views and a mention in a StereoTimes Review:

http://www.stereotimes.com/post/yellowtec-puc2-lite-usb-converter/
Which brings us back to USB converters. So, as I was saying (writing), I bought the Gustard U12 32-bit XMOS converter on the recommendation of rb2013 (among others), and it was… excellent! It was definitely as advertised. It had mproved bass and dynamics, over and above my Audiophilleo, and a bit more “relaxed” sounding. Then rb2013 threw a curveball at his Head-Fi faithful, he had an affair with another converter he said greatly bettered the U12, which in turn, had bettered a lot of the “high priced” spread.  He then decided to boot the U12 and move in with said new converter on a more permanent basis. That new converter was the equally cheerful, equally Chinese (though not equally cheap at $230 USD) Melodious Audio MX-U8.  Similarly capable in terms of high sample rate conversion and employing the highly regarded up-to-date programmable XMOS multicore microcontroller topology but with a more robust power supply, improved circuit isolation and perhaps more accurate digital clocks, the MX-U8 sez rb2013 was better; punchier, more detailed, weightier in the bass, bigger soundstage, the works. So I bought one.  And it was! Somewhat. Not as warm/pleasant (?) as the Gustard, but slightly more detailed, forward and punchier and with a bit more expansive stage. The Gustard was good. Very good. I could actually still see preferring it in certain systems, but my preference perhaps leaned toward the not-night-and-day-better MX-U8.

I don't think you've been reading this thread in a very long while - so maybe you should do more reading before firing the flame thrower.
This thread had moved past the U12 - I least have and many of the regular posters have about a hundred pages ago.  Alex even spun off a great thread on the Melodious MX-U8 and some really innovative mods.  

From what I read the Audio-GD DI  2014 is more expensive then the $150 Gustard U12 or $150 Audio Breeze.  Their website has it listed for $310 with the TXCO clocks (they look like the same ones Gustard, Melodious and Breeze use).  That's with the R-core transfomer.

The PUC2 Lite is another one I'd like to hear - but at $500 it's in another price level.  Same for the beautiful Tanly at $600.  So there have been many fine USb bridges (and better then the U12's) talked about here.

I do want to try the DIYinHK DXIO PRO3A before I write my mini-review on the ones I've compared.  It's $168.
http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/97-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wmanual-power-switch.html

Oct 29, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #2,708 of 3,700
THANKS!! the Lite DAC60 is far from my budget!!! I´ll go for the SMSL!!! THANKS A LOT!!! =P ...muchas gracias!!! ...desde mexico =)

Hi
Yes. The U12 works like a bridge from usb to other digital standards.
A nice thing with the U12 is its flexibility.
that you can connect almost any dac around.

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB16mPGGXXXXXb6XpXXq6xXFXXXz/201638448/HTB16mPGGXXXXXb6XpXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

I have both the U12 and the Melodious MX-U8 also mentioned and i like the Melodious better (without any modifications).
I understand that the U12 benefits a lot from mods ... but this is for skilful people.

However if you have the chance try to listen as many dacs as possible in your system before buying them.
Some older dacs still have a very good sound and can be found for very nice prices on the market.
For istance i have found a very nice sound Cambridge Audio Dac3 for the equivalent of 150 USD.
And it sounds quite musical to me.
Read reviews and put down a list of most wanted ... then look for them.
Also some professional units are not bad at all.  Maybe you will get satisfaction with not big money.
Then with the time you will understand more how high you want to go.  Maybe.
Good luck !
Regards,  gino

Oct 29, 2015 at 4:21 AM Post #2,709 of 3,700
I connected my lightly mod U12 to my newly built AK4495SEK DAC via the HDMI/I2S output, the replay is detailed and great.

This HDMI cable enable me to abandon the 5V from U12, and feed it from an external linear power supply,

Oct 29, 2015 at 6:35 AM Post #2,710 of 3,700
Old 'Prot' you sure love spending my money. :wink_face:

But thanks for sharing that - I love TotalDAC's tube DAC - but $4K for a 'reclocker' that's kinda spendy.

Being TheExpert does not come cheap :)

I didnt even check the price of that total reclocker cause I knew it would be ugly .. but $4k is wildly exagerated even by audiophile standards. Even the super-duper berkeley ddc 'only' costs $1500.

And btw, there were some PUCs on ebay.de recently for about €190... maybe you can still find one.

Oct 29, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #2,711 of 3,700

Hi
Yes. The U12 works like a bridge from usb to other digital standards.
A nice thing with the U12 is its flexibility.
that you can connect almost any dac around.

http://g01.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB16mPGGXXXXXb6XpXXq6xXFXXXz/201638448/HTB16mPGGXXXXXb6XpXXq6xXFXXXz.jpg

I have both the U12 and the Melodious MX-U8 also mentioned and i like the Melodious better (without any modifications).
I understand that the U12 benefits a lot from mods ... but this is for skilful people.

However if you have the chance try to listen as many dacs as possible in your system before buying them.
Some older dacs still have a very good sound and can be found for very nice prices on the market.
For istance i have found a very nice sound Cambridge Audio Dac3 for the equivalent of 150 USD.
And it sounds quite musical to me.
Read reviews and put down a list of most wanted ... then look for them.
Also some professional units are not bad at all.  Maybe you will get satisfaction with not big money.
Then with the time you will understand more how high you want to go.  Maybe.
Good luck !
Regards,  gino

Great advice!  Check out Audiogon for used DAC listings - https://app.audiogon.com/categories/digital-da-converters

Here is a DACMagic for $200 - maybe you can negotiate a lower price.  https://app.audiogon.com/listings/da-converters-cambridge-audio-dacmagic-digital-to-analog-converter-2015-10-16-digital-32837-orlando-fl

I connected my lightly mod U12 to my newly built AK4495SEK DAC via the HDMI/I2S output, the replay is detailed and great.

This HDMI cable enable me to abandon the 5V from U12, and feed it from an external linear power supply,

Nice!  Which LPS?  The TeraDak? 

Being TheExpert does not come cheap
smily_headphones1.gif

I didnt even check the price of that total reclocker cause I knew it would be ugly .. but $4k is wildly exagerated even by audiophile standards. Even the super-duper berkeley ddc 'only' costs $1500.

And btw, there were some PUCs on ebay.de recently for about €190... maybe you can still find one.

I'll check that out - thanks!
tongue.gif
   BTW not 'TheExpert' I'll leave that moniker to old 'Prot'.
blink.gif

Oct 29, 2015 at 10:48 AM Post #2,712 of 3,700
I'm just hoping that one day I am walking down the street I'll see a Empirical Audio Off-ramp with all the options sitting with the garbage cans. I did find the parts to build my first music server in a snowbank, so there is always hope :)

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:30 AM Post #2,714 of 3,700
I'm just hoping that one day I am walking down the street I'll see a Empirical Audio Off-ramp with all the options sitting with the garbage cans. I did find the parts to build my first music server in a snowbank, so there is always hope
smily_headphones1.gif

I need to visit Toronto in the winter!  Yes the OR5 is a very sweet unit.  And well the reason I was so intrgiued by these relatively inexpensive DDC's.  A 'basic' OR5 is $1300 - full decked out $2000+

Precisely, The TeraDak.

I really like that varibable voltage adjustment.  Some USB bridges need 5VDC (like the Hydra Z) and some units like the Regen need 6-8 VDC - these TeraDaks can do either.  Both the X1 and the R-Core SB30W have the adjuster (little blue box with the tiny brass screw).

TeraDak X1:

TeraDak SB30W R-Core:

Oct 29, 2015 at 11:40 AM Post #2,715 of 3,700
Well this talk of the Emperical Audio Off Ramp 5 - had me back over on their website - haven't been there in a long time.

Discovered this little jem:
f you want the S/PDIF or AES/EBU output to be improved, add the S/PDIF Hynes Reg option. AES is a lesser improvement. 

So over to the Hynes website to research this Hynes Regulator - not super expensive - will use one for the S/PDIF coax on my DIY USB bridge project.  Maybe one on the USB - but I think the Regen I plan to directly wire in - may be enough.  Only listening will tell.  Steve Nugent seems to very keen on these.

Possibly will try one in my Lite DAC60 mod project on the tube circuit.

http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page6.html  Reasonably priced at about $45 each.

More on regulators from Paul Hynes.
http://www.paulhynesdesign.com/page3.html

Supply Regulation

Many audio equipment manufacturers use industry standard solid state regulators in their products because they are readily available, cheap and easy to apply. They offer reduced power supply ripple breakthrough from the rectifier / energy storage capacitor. This allows a much smaller energy storage capacitor to be used, which in turn reduces component costs considerably, more than offsetting the cost of the regulator itself. Multiple regulator systems can also be applied cheaply. The main benefit of using these devices is essentially one of cost reduction. Whilst this is a laudable aim, most enthusiasts will generally prefer to look for performance improvement before cost considerations.

So let us look at regulator performance with a typical industry standard, the 317 / 337 type adjustable regulator. Starting with power supply rejection (PSRR) of these regulators with respect to frequency. At 100Hz this is 60-70dB (60dB is a ripple reduction of 1000 times). At 1KHz, the PSRR begins to drop due to the regulator's internal frequency compensation reducing gain at higher frequencies, leaving less loop gain available for error correction
. At 10 KHz, the regulators manage 50dB (316 times ripple rejection). At 100KHz they only achieve 20dB of PSRR (10 times ripple rejection) and at 1MHz only 10dB (3.16 times ripple rejection). At low audio frequencies both devices offer usable PSRR, but this situation deteriorates rapidly above 1KHz, becoming relatively ineffective at frequencies above 100 KHz where radio frequency interference and digital clocking load current transients may have to be dealt with.Output impedance shows the regulator's ability to control the load with respect to frequency. The 317/337 graphs show 10 milliohms from DC to 1KHz. At around 1KHz the frequency compensation capacitor comes into operation to aid regulator stability, reducing the loop gain and negative feedback with respect to frequency. The output impedance is a function of available negative feedback and as this feedback reduces with rising frequency, the output impedance rises. At about 10MHz the regulator runs out of gain and is no longer functional.
The internal frequency compensation capacitor used in these devices has another, more important, effect on their behaviour. This capacitor has to be charged and discharged by the internal circuitry before the feedback loop can apply error correction. Inadequate charging current causes Transient Inter-modulation Distortion (TID) and Slew Induced Distortion (SID) giving line and load transient settling times of up to 5 microseconds with these devices.

This is what I've been saying about the Audio Breeze use of the LM2941s - twice in two stages.  Vs the MX-U8 and U12.  The LM2941s maintains a high level of NR well into the 100kHz + band.  Where many other ultra low noise regulators drop off steeply.

http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/lm2941.pdf  Note the PSRR chart - Figure 9 page 8.  68dB at 1Mhz!~

Users who are viewing this thread

Back