Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Oct 28, 2015 at 12:56 AM Post #2,686 of 3,700
Hi hi!

I got the GUSTARD U12 a Mac Mini and a Analog Hi-Fi sistema… SEA/NAD/VIENA ACUSTICS. I am using my Mac as sound machine… but I do not know how to connet my GUSTARD U12 to the analog sistme… can somebody help!!

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #2,687 of 3,700
[COLOR=2B2B2B]Hi hi![/COLOR]

[COLOR=2B2B2B]I got the GUSTARD U12 a Mac Mini and a Analog Hi-Fi sistema… SEA/NAD/VIENA ACUSTICS. I am using my Mac as sound machine… but I do not know how to connet my GUSTARD U12 to the analog sistme… can somebody help!![/COLOR]

If I understand you correctly, you are trying to connect the digital output of the U12 to the analog input of your preamp. That's a no no. The U12 only changes the USB digital feed from your mac mini to another digital output like coaxial spdif. You have to have a DAC in your system after the U12.

Oct 28, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #2,688 of 3,700
  Hi hi!

I got the GUSTARD U12 a Mac Mini and a Analog Hi-Fi sistema… SEA/NAD/VIENA ACUSTICS. I am using my Mac as sound machine… but I do not know how to connet my GUSTARD U12 to the analog sistme… can somebody help!!

You need a DAC.  The U12 is only a USB bridge.  That is between the PC and a DAC.  The DAC connects to your analog hifi

Oct 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM Post #2,690 of 3,700
Sold the iFi iDAC2 - not a very good USB bridge, or DAC for that matter.  Lifeless, 2D sound stage, constricted dynamics.  At least compared to my tubed DACs (to be fair they are much more expensive - the APL is 15X more).

It ranked last in my USB bridge shootout.

Tried it with both the Li Ion power and the TeraDak linear power supply.

Not a great, but not a terrible HP amp.  Could have had more gain on my HD800's and Senn 450's.  Way overpriced IMO.

I see iFi has a new iUSB 3.0.  Would be interested in trying that.  Looks interesting  - but the marketing hype is over the top extreme.  All this fighter jet stuff - Ugg!  How about some technical stuff on how you:
Total USB Solution+® banishes ALL USB audio gremlins
UTSM.png

The micro iUSB3.0 addresses all 8 significant USB audio gremlins that lead to poor
quality computer audio in one fell swoop:
• Corrects signal balance
• Suppresses frame noise
• Suppresses packet noise
• Ultra clean power
• Eliminates ground noise
• Corrects impedance mis-match
• Eliminates USB Jitter
• Restores signal integrity
Where many of USB audio’s short comings are not considered, iFi has already solved them.
All-new, tack sharp technology

USB Hub 2xDual-Ports® just add DAC and HDD
iusb3.02.png

http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusb3-0/

They also now tout the USB 'regeneration' thing without giving the details, like Uptone does.  I believe it's like $400 in the US.
I guess trying to hop on the Regen bandwagon.  Still I'm curious.

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #2,691 of 3,700
Hi!!! And Thanks a lot for your fast reply!! 

Well,  I thought I got a DAC... to bad.

Well now I have to buy one... I have an other question... what should I buy to take  thought of the Gustard u12??? or is it better to forget the unit and buy an other DAC or a reall DAC?? or I can complement it and make a better soud?

Or can you suggest something?

Pre amp SAE 2100L (Scientific Audio Electronics)
Amp NAD THX 2400
Speakers Viena Acustics
Mac mini 
No Digital entries...

Thanks a lot stuartmc, Rb, gino!!

Felipe

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:21 PM Post #2,693 of 3,700

Can this do the job?? SMSL M6 32Bit/384KHz USB asynchronous DAC Decoder golden

http://www.amazon.com/SMSL-M6-384KHz-asynchronous-Decoder/dp/B00WQXLY6I/ref=sr_1_262?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1437784083&sr=1-262&keywords=dac

Is it worth it?? Can I used one with the other?? will it soud beber than only the SMSL???

Thanks again!!

Felipe

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #2,694 of 3,700
Hi!! can the SMSL M6 32Bit/384KHz USB asynchronous DAC work with the Gustard U12?? is it worth it?? Can they work better together than only the SMSL?? 

How can I hook them bouth??

Thanks... I am Really new at the digital world!! ...sorry =P

Felipe

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,696 of 3,700
  Hi!!! And Thanks a lot for your fast reply!! 

Well,  I thought I got a DAC... to bad.

Well now I have to buy one... I have an other question... what should I buy to take  thought of the Gustard u12??? or is it better to forget the unit and buy an other DAC or a reall DAC?? or I can complement it and make a better soud?

Or can you suggest something?

Pre amp SAE 2100L (Scientific Audio Electronics)
Amp NAD THX 2400
Speakers Viena Acustics
Mac mini 
No Digital entries...

Thanks a lot stuartmc, Rb, gino!!

Felipe

I'd get the Lite DAC60 - for $650 it's killer good!  The U12 would feed the DAC60 by S/PDIF cable - very easy and inexpensive to find.  Just plug and play.

So it would look like this PC or Laptop>U12>DAC60>SAE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-DAC-60-Hi-Fi-D-A-Convertor-Tube-Output-Brand-New-/321461674743?hash=item4ad89be2f7:m:mgXlNbdDKrmZ-P4iZSyEzUQ

Oct 28, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #2,697 of 3,700
  Hi!! can the SMSL M6 32Bit/384KHz USB asynchronous DAC work with the Gustard U12?? is it worth it?? Can they work better together than only the SMSL?? 

How can I hook them bouth??

Thanks... I am Really new at the digital world!! ...sorry =P

Felipe

You can feed the SMSL with the U12 by optical or coax S/PDIF - that would likely sound better then going directly in to the SMSL USB.

Good Luck and welcome to the asylum!
beerchug.gif

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,698 of 3,700
rb2013
Here's an intersting DDC for you to test ... it even has a fancy audiophile name: reclocker :) .. expect audiophile prices too
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-digital-eng.htm

glip
The graphic on that page should be useful for you too .. the red component is basically your u12.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #2,699 of 3,700
@rb2013
Here's an intersting DDC for you to test ... it even has a fancy audiophile name: reclocker
smily_headphones1.gif
.. expect audiophile prices too
http://www.totaldac.com/D1-digital-eng.htm

@glip
The graphic on that page should be useful for you too .. the red component is basically your u12.

Old 'Prot' you sure love spending my money.
wink_face.gif

But thanks for sharing that - I love TotalDAC's tube DAC - but $4K for a 'reclocker' that's kinda spendy.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:15 PM Post #2,700 of 3,700
Ok So I have a Regen amber coming - paid a $10 premium to not have to wait 4 weeks.

Assuming it does sound good - My plan is to mount it directly inside one of the USB DDC's - bypass the Chinese USB adapter and the dangling off the back of the DDC - wire with Mundorf solid silver teflon wire from the USB outputs directly to the DDC's USB inputs.  Then mount it inside - keep the PS completely separate - use an R-core on the DDC (get rid of the Toroidal) and a R-Core LPS on the Regen (ditch that SMPS it comes with).  Add some RFI/EMI shielding.  Use only a data USB cable -
Thinking of replacing the optical isolators with some thing better.

Basically a DIY USB bridge project.

Found out something cool about the TerDak R-core SB30W linear power supply - it has a voltage adjustment inside.  Since the Regen will take from 6VDC to 8.5VDC (at 9VDC it starts to run very hot), and see at what voltage it sounds best.  That'll take awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back