Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Apr 17, 2015 at 11:34 AM Post #1,277 of 3,700
Just want to report that I opened my master 7, looked at the configurations and made three more i2s cables, finally made one that worked perfectly with MX-U8. Such a long night

Apparently audio-gd did not make my DAC's i2s port configured as with pin outs that I sent them

Apr 17, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #1,278 of 3,700
does anyone know what sort of DC regualtors and diodes used in Tanly.

i believe 50% of good sound comes from DC regualtors.

Apr 17, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,279 of 3,700
  Just want to report that I opened my master 7, looked at the configurations and made three more i2s cables, finally made one that worked perfectly with MX-U8. Such a long night

Apparently audio-gd did not make my DAC's i2s port configured as with pin outs that I sent them

Wow... congratulations.. if you get the chance, please report on the SQ differences vs. the M7 USB32... thanks...

Apr 18, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #1,281 of 3,700
hi,
the Gustard U12 is a great product, no doubt about it.
I can't find if you already talked about it but instead of spending time & money in tweaking the U12, you should lokk at this thread : http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/corning-optical-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-experiences-23437/
The Corning 3.Optical usb cable works perfectly with the U12 and brings it a few step beyond, nothing compared to internal tweaks.
Rgds

Apr 18, 2015 at 8:32 AM Post #1,282 of 3,700
  hi,
I can't find if you already talked about it but instead of spending time & money in tweaking the U12, you should lokk at this thread : http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/corning-optical-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-experiences-23437/
The Corning 3.Optical usb cable works perfectly with the U12 and brings it a few step beyond, nothing compared to internal tweaks.
Rgds

Maybe it's a very nice additive to have, but saying it's better than the mods we did, especially with more as twice the value of psu caps with very low ESR (Panasonic FC), NDK / Chrystek crystals, MUR120 rectifiers instead of cheap M4 rectifiers (1N4001), is a bit premature. Did you compare heavily modded U12 to standard version with Corning3 cable? If not, please don't post this kind of messages.

The U12 I have is thát good that I'm not so sure if I wanna sell it. And I didn't test with 2-headed USB cable with external linear power supply (that's were the Corning could come in,,,,,,,).

And, btw, you are talking about cables that are more expensive than the whole U12 INCLUDING mods.

But, anyway, thank you for bringing it up! Maybe we can test how SQ improves if someone wants to buy and try,,,,

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #1,283 of 3,700
  hi,
Rgds

A very good suggestion, but we must aware TOSLINK requires a change in format from an electrical to an optical medium. No such change, including similar changes from digital-to-analogue or from analogue-to-digital, is without cost. 

So, why not just opt for a product which offers 'USB-32'?

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #1,284 of 3,700
hi Abartels, 
I understand your reply & apologize, my post was to "sharp".
I follow carefully all the debate about tweaking the U12, honestly I found what you do very smart, but as I have no know-how to tweak as you do, that kind of tweak is forbidden for me. I'm just like 90% of people, just able to buy stuff, plug & hear if it brings something or not.

Regarding this cable, I must explain : what this cable brings is fairly simple : it is all about galvanic isolation, no more no less.
As the data flows through metallic medium then through optical leads to a galvanic isolation between in & out of the cable. Meanining that all electrical noise created upstream (NAS/computer/SMPS) is stopped (or nearly). 
The point is that noise can be heard very clearly, thus it is a point to clear 1st. I just point out that point. Whatever you setup, low or high, that kind of solution brings your setup to another level.
OK it is not "audiophile", it is made for data transfer, but audioplile recycle the good idea of others :)

@ hgpsemaj, 
the corning cable can not be compared to Toslink. Technology is different. In toslink you transfer "audio", but in the corning you transfer "data".
It explains why a toslink is limited to a few meters, but this corning remains 100% reliable up to 50meters.
The other point is the price, 120eur. In some extend it is cheaper than many other solutions.
I just saw there is a new thread about it... but no reply on it : http://www.head-fi.org/t/762483/corning-usb-3-optical-cable
Rgds

Apr 18, 2015 at 12:34 PM Post #1,285 of 3,700
Showing my ignorance here, but I'm sure people will help me become knowledgeable. So the USB out on the computer goes to the Gustard USB in, then I would use the AES out from the U12 to my M51s AES in. I think that is correct so far. So given this what I am confused about is why the need for a driver for Windows at all. It is still the M51 running through Windows for JR to work with so I just don't get where the U12 driver comes into the picture? Help clear up my ignorance. Thanks.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #1,287 of 3,700
  the usb drivers are needed for the u12 xmos chip/usb 2.0 audio when using windows.

Thanks, just realized my brain cramp, of course, the U12 takes the USB from the computer. Not sure why I missed that, I don't think anything could be more obvious
redface.gif

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #1,288 of 3,700
hi Abartels, 
I understand your reply & apologize, my post was to "sharp".
I follow carefully all the debate about tweaking the U12, honestly I found what you do very smart, but as I have no know-how to tweak as you do, that kind of tweak is forbidden for me. I'm just like 90% of people, just able to buy stuff, plug & hear if it brings something or not.

Regarding this cable, I must explain : what this cable brings is fairly simple : it is all about galvanic isolation, no more no less.
As the data flows through metallic medium then through optical leads to a galvanic isolation between in & out of the cable. Meanining that all electrical noise created upstream (NAS/computer/SMPS) is stopped (or nearly). 
The point is that noise can be heard very clearly, thus it is a point to clear 1st. I just point out that point. Whatever you setup, low or high, that kind of solution brings your setup to another level.
OK it is not "audiophile", it is made for data transfer, but audioplile recycle the good idea of others :)

@ hgpsemaj, 
the corning cable can not be compared to Toslink. Technology is different. In toslink you transfer "audio", but in the corning you transfer "data".
It explains why a toslink is limited to a few meters, but this corning remains 100% reliable up to 50meters.
The other point is the price, 120eur. In some extend it is cheaper than many other solutions.
I just saw there is a new thread about it... but no reply on it : http://www.head-fi.org/t/762483/corning-usb-3-optical-cable
Rgds

Ok, understood, but followed link you posted and it seems usb 5v isn't galvanic isolated, only signal.

Confused,,,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back