Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:06 PM Post #766 of 3,700
  I read up on this a bit and yes the D18 can only play 24/192 because it doesn't use USB or I2s as you said. I think its a bit ridiculous that they state it is a 32 bit DAC when it doesn't actually have the inputs to support this. As I would have to buy a U12 to use the D18 anyway as a converter I am very tempted to sell the Yulong and buy the Gustard X12 instead as it works out as the same price but is able to run 32bit recordings. The X12 can be used directly out of my PC via USB right?

You indeed can connect the X12 directly to you pc via usb.
But, it's better to use it together with the U12 for best performance.

Maybe first buy X12 and in the future the U12 to upgrade performance, or, just wait a little bit more for the upcoming X20,,,,,,,

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:16 PM Post #767 of 3,700
Those are actually "too good to be true" prices. Here are some typical ones
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15003&langId=-1&storeId=10194&categoryId=800000004553&sort=P_ATT_BASE_VALUE_1012358_EN_US&pageSize=25&beginIndex=1&showResults=true

So called audiophile parts go for a lot more, e.g. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/258789-pulsar-clock-ultra-low-noise-ocxo-4.html#post4101798

On the other hand, at that price you can order a bag full of them and try every conceivable mod
smily_headphones1.gif

Btw, my gustard just left china, cant wait to try it. Hope it's not another one of those inaudible "mods" cause I'm quite tired of that already.

I don't know if we have to exchange the TXCO's, maybe it's better not, this thing sounds incredible with the little mods i made so far!
Best one was the caps (Panasonic FC 4700uF-25V), and "shield" everything with 3M AB5100S. I used it also underneath the pcb and in the top-cover.

I was thinking about changing the LM317D for a powerreg, but not sure which one to use. The 330uF=16V caps have to be replaced when using some of the powerregs.

to be continued,,,,

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #768 of 3,700

You indeed can connect the X12 directly to you pc via usb.
But, it's better to use it together with the U12 for best performance.

Maybe first buy X12 and in the future the U12 to upgrade performance, or, just wait a little bit more for the upcoming X20,,,,,,,

I have to sell the D18 first so I have a fair while to contemplate what to buy. Will the X20 be in a similar price range? Or has this information not been released yet.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:52 PM Post #769 of 3,700
Is there anything at all about the X20?
All I know is that it is coming and it the X12's analog stage is based on it :D

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #770 of 3,700
... I am very tempted to sell the Yulong and buy the Gustard X12 instead as it works out as the same price but is able to run 32bit recordings....

You do know that those "32 bit recordings" do not exist !? And most prolly never will.
In fact, there isnt so much stuff recorded above 16 bit and I'm not even sure that there is anything above 20 bit.

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #771 of 3,700
I don't know if we have to exchange the TXCO's, maybe it's better not, this thing sounds incredible with the little mods i made so far!
Best one was the caps (Panasonic FC 4700uF-25V), and "shield" everything with 3M AB5100S. I used it also underneath the pcb and in the top-cover.

I was thinking about changing the LM317D for a powerreg, but not sure which one to use. The 330uF=16V caps have to be replaced when using some of the powerregs.

to be continued,,,,

Doubt the modding itch ever stops :). If it's possible, someone will try it. Even if it means putting $500 clocks in a $150 device

Mar 2, 2015 at 5:48 PM Post #772 of 3,700
You do know that those "32 bit recordings" do not exist !? And most prolly never will.
In fact, there isnt so much stuff recorded above 16 bit and I'm not even sure that there is anything above 20 bit.

I'm pretty sure 24 bit is commonly used in recording and production. 32 bit no, not currently but why not have audio equipment capable of this for the future if 32 bit recordings do come about? (even if the difference over 24 bit is inaudible to humans)

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #773 of 3,700
  I'm pretty sure 24 bit is commonly used in recording and production. 32 bit no, not currently but why not have audio equipment capable of this for the future if 32 bit recordings do come about? (even if the difference over 24 bit is inaudible to humans)

You are right about the recording industry using 24 bit - even DxD is 24 bit.  But for my own digitalized LP archive I did hear a slight difference using 32 bit/176K vs 24 bit/176K.  The software was Wavelab 6.0 and the ADC's 32bit AKM DAC's.   Funny after over a month of trying different sampling rates the 32/176 sounded consistently better then 32/192k or 24/192k.  I had many LPs to archive and didn't want to have to do it twice.

In feeding my DAC's one a true R2R 24bit DAC (PCM1704K) - it will not accept these files native - I have to change the bit level to 24 in Foobar.  But my other DAC uses 32bit AKM DACs (6 per channel in a ladder configuration) and it does accept the 32 bit stream in native format.

They both sound pretty awesome.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #774 of 3,700

You are right about the recording industry using 24 bit - even DxD is 24 bit.  But for my own digitalized LP archive I did hear a slight difference using 32 bit/176K vs 24 bit/176K.  The software was Wavelab 6.0 and the ADC's 32bit AKM DAC's.   Funny after over a month of trying different sampling rates the 32/176 sounded consistently better then 32/192k or 24/192k.  I had many LPs to archive and didn't want to have to do it twice.

In feeding my DAC's one a true R2R 24bit DAC (PCM1704K) - it will not accept these files native - I have to change the bit level to 24 in Foobar.  But my other DAC uses 32bit AKM DACs (6 per channel in a ladder configuration) and it does accept the 32 bit stream in native format.

They both sound pretty awesome.

Interesting. Wish I could try it myself but my gear restricts me from this :D

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #775 of 3,700
  How about: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.40.cNOUDD&id=41154083487&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

They are available at the frequencies we need for U12, but, i suppose we need extra psu for them?

@abartels That OCXO is pretty nice for its price, it reminds me of what this guy did with a Teradak converter:
https://onedrive.live.com/?cid=1EB7027489224A7D&id=1eb7027489224a7d!526&v=3

I'm still on the fence about the 3M stuff, but I'm interested. I'm still mulling on what areas need application, need to read up the spec sheet on that material as well.

@rb2013 The atomic clock stuff is pretty crazy lol. I'm a bit tin eared, I don't think I could appreciate the difference but who knows. If I had that kind of money I'd probably get TOTL headphones, I think mechanical distortion at the transducer is probably a bigger contributor than the rest of the signal chain at that point.

@prot I saw that Pulsar clock a while ago too on diyaudio. I had a chuckle because I couldn't imagine why an OCXO would be export restricted lol.

@the i2s discussion:
As for i2s, one needs to be very careful since there is no standard pinout. In fact, you can just assume that everyone is doing whatever the hell they want. For example Audio-GD and Yulong both have i2s through a RJ45 port. Same port no problem right?

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/diy/I2Skits/I2SEN.htm
http://yulongaudio.com/en/product_detail.asp?pid=23

But they are actually using completely different pinouts. And the Gustard U12 forgoes the RJ45 port entirely for an HDMI port. With something DIY like the Buffalo it's no big deal. However if you bought into a brand, you are pretty much stuck with it lol.

Thankfully if you have deep pockets and buy something $2k+, you wouldn't even need an external usb interface.

@gustard x20

I'm curious what the X20 will be like too. But I didn't wait to find out, I just bought the X12 since I doubt I could afford the X20 anyways.

My idle speculation on the X20:

- Integrated DAC/AMP combo, like the Yulong and Audio-GD offerings
- Possible balanced headphone out along with single ended, since people love balanced and it's all the rage (I still like SE lol)
- Around or slightly below $1k MSRP

OR

They could pull off something crazy that would excite me, like a pure DAC dual mono ES9018 implementation, kind of like what L.K.S. Audio did.

I still think they will just come out with an integrated DAC/AMP box that everyone loves so much. I think the vast majority of setups being sold are integrated boxes nowadays.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #776 of 3,700
  @rb2013 The atomic clock stuff is pretty crazy lol. I'm a bit tin eared, I don't think I could appreciate the difference but who knows. If I had that kind of money I'd probably get TOTL headphones, I think mechanical distortion at the transducer is probably a bigger contributor than the rest of the signal chain at that point.

+1 Atomic clocks - for the audiophile who has everything!   Well for me the issue with those external clocks is the signal delay issues caused by the cable run and connectors.  I've always heard the clocks should be as close as possible to the DAC chips to reduce jitter.

I just swapped the caps in my R2R DAC mod project from Mundorf Silver/Oil Supremes to Sliver/Gold/Oil Supremes - now that was $200 very well spent.  The midrange tonal richness and bass extension/definition just took a nice leap forward.  Not subtle.

Mar 2, 2015 at 10:16 PM Post #777 of 3,700
  +1 Atomic clocks - for the audiophile who has everything!   Well for me the issue with those external clocks is the signal delay issues caused by the cable run and connectors.  I've always heard the clocks should be as close as possible to the DAC chips to reduce jitter.

I just swapped the caps in my R2R DAC mod project from Mundorf Silver/Oil Supremes to Sliver/Gold/Oil Supremes - now that was $200 very well spent.  The midrange tonal richness and bass extension/definition just took a nice leap forward.  Not subtle.

I'm lusty for R2R and NOS dacs lol, but the closest I can get is this humble, battery powered NOS DAC (even this I could not afford, after my pockets were lightened by Gustard):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200916160114

As for the external clock, I'd be more worried about the cable run picking up noise lol. It should be OK in my case as HDMI cables are generally pretty well shielded, and my cable is pretty short.

Mar 3, 2015 at 3:43 AM Post #779 of 3,700
  I have to sell the D18 first so I have a fair while to contemplate what to buy. Will the X20 be in a similar price range? Or has this information not been released yet.

There's no info at the moment, we even don't know for shure it will come in the near future, but it's said that Gustard's flagship would come out after chinese new year,
but, that could also be in december hahaha

No info about pricing or specs :frowning2:

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:09 AM Post #780 of 3,700
  Can someone shoot me a link to the bustard x20?

Thanks

There isn't any, just the mentioning of flagship X20 on website gustard.taobao.com 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back