Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 27, 2015 at 1:12 PM Post #751 of 3,700

Yeah I tried to look for the specific XMOS chip in Dangerous Source but couldn't find it. It's a 192/24 DAC but everything gets oversampled to 352.8 kHz or 384 kHz, depending on the original rate.

The Dangerous Source comes with a standard 12V 2A power adapter. The unit runs dead silent and don't have a complaint with it, but don't know it's full potential. I was looking at the Teradak 12V 13A LPSU, as recommended by someone.

I'm looking at the U12 mainly for it's re-clocking purposes. I am eventually planning to add something like an Aries with Femto clocks to the Dangerous Source. Will the U12 be decent enough by itself in it's stock form, or do I have to further mod the U12. I would prefer to just buy the U12 and add it in the chain and press play.

The U12 is good to go, I have mine setup and am very pleased with it. I don't see modding it as necessary, that is more of a hobby pursuit. I feel that the U12 has more or less already realized the margins of the potential of TCXOs. I think to achieve that next level of performance, one would need to look at OCXOs which can be an order of magnitude more accurate than TCXOs, and quite expensive to boot.

Feb 27, 2015 at 9:42 PM Post #752 of 3,700

The U12 is good to go, I have mine setup and am very pleased with it. I don't see modding it as necessary, that is more of a hobby pursuit. I feel that the U12 has more or less already realized the margins of the potential of TCXOs. I think to achieve that next level of performance, one would need to look at OCXOs which can be an order of magnitude more accurate than TCXOs, and quite expensive to boot.

Nice!  Maybe the next Gustard version will have a clock out and in option like the M2Tech Evo and Antelope.  Then just hook up one of these:
http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/10m-atomic-clock

The Rubidium Atomic Clock is the perfect companion to the Isochrone audio master clocks such as the OCX or OCX-V. When connected to the Isochrone 10M, these devices switch over automatically from oven-based crystal to the superior Rubidium Core. Isochrone 10M is the ultimate tool in achieving analog sound. Experts agree that 10M is probably “the best sounding clock” ever produced.

...a clocking reference that is a staggering 100,000 times more accurate than the quartz oscillators used in most equipment.

Feb 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #753 of 3,700
Hi, guys. I recently purchased a Yulong D18 but the optical out on my sound card doesn't work therefore I was thinking of buying the U12 to convert USB out from my computer to optical. As I am not very good with this kind of stuff I was wondering if this would work? and would it be able to handle up to 32-bit 192Khz recordings? Thanks

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:55 AM Post #756 of 3,700
  Hi, guys. I recently purchased a Yulong D18 but the optical out on my sound card doesn't work therefore I was thinking of buying the U12 to convert USB out from my computer to optical. As I am not very good with this kind of stuff I was wondering if this would work? and would it be able to handle up to 32-bit 192Khz recordings? Thanks

Probably 24Bit 192Khz only

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #757 of 3,700
  Probably 24Bit 192Khz only

Ok thank you. To exceed this would I need to change my source? and would it work in the way I am planning to use it? as a usb to optical converter. Sorry if these are noobie questions but I have no idea about this and I don't want to buy it and waste money if it doesn't do what I need it to do 
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #758 of 3,700
  Ok thank you. To exceed this would I need to change my source? and would it work in the way I am planning to use it? as a usb to optical converter. Sorry if these are noobie questions but I have no idea about this and I don't want to buy it and waste money if it doesn't do what I need it to do 
biggrin.gif

Please read post # 745

As far as i can see Yulong D18 has NO i2s input, so, max 24/192 with U12 @ Coax/Optical/AES

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #760 of 3,700

How about: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.40.cNOUDD&id=41154083487&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

They are available at the frequencies we need for U12, but, i suppose we need extra psu for them?

Mar 2, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #761 of 3,700
  How about: http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.40.cNOUDD&id=41154083487&ns=1&abbucket=7#detail

They are available at the frequencies we need for U12, but, i suppose we need extra psu for them?

You're the devil... Those aren't even that expensive. The Crysteks I was looking at upgrading to cost about the same, I think.

I wonder what the quality of OCXOs at that price could be? Anyway, nice find. I wonder what they'd need for a PSU...

Mar 2, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #762 of 3,700
You're the devil... Those aren't even that expensive. The Crysteks I was looking at upgrading to cost about the same, I think.

I wonder what the quality of OCXOs at that price could be? Anyway, nice find. I wonder what they'd need for a PSU...

Those are actually "too good to be true" prices. Here are some typical ones
http://www.newark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?catalogId=15003&langId=-1&storeId=10194&categoryId=800000004553&sort=P_ATT_BASE_VALUE_1012358_EN_US&pageSize=25&beginIndex=1&showResults=true

So called audiophile parts go for a lot more, e.g. http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vendors-bazaar/258789-pulsar-clock-ultra-low-noise-ocxo-4.html#post4101798

On the other hand, at that price you can order a bag full of them and try every conceivable mod :)

Btw, my gustard just left china, cant wait to try it. Hope it's not another one of those inaudible "mods" cause I'm quite tired of that already.

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #763 of 3,700

They need 600mA at warm-up and 200mA working, so they would need a heavier psu i suppose

Mar 2, 2015 at 2:55 PM Post #764 of 3,700
Today i received the Panasonic FC caps. I ordered 4700uF-25V, hmm, they were bigger then i thought they would be,,,
First i removed te Philps (BC) caps,

and placed the first Pana,,,

and then the second one,,,

It looks a bit stuffed 
biggrin.gif

But, at least there now is some more room for "the regulator project" 
wink_face.gif

And finally i put some 3MAB5100S around them so they can't get a cold 
wink.gif

I'm listening as we speak, soundstage definitely has some more layers in depth and width
bigsmile_face.gif

There again is more air, more black around voices and instruments, and last but not least,
everything sounds incredibly natural, seems the U12 does this with ease  
wink_face.gif

Best mod until now!!

Mar 2, 2015 at 3:56 PM Post #765 of 3,700
  Please read post # 745

As far as i can see Yulong D18 has NO i2s input, so, max 24/192 with U12 @ Coax/Optical/AES

I read up on this a bit and yes the D18 can only play 24/192 because it doesn't use USB or I2s as you said. I think its a bit ridiculous that they state it is a 32 bit DAC when it doesn't actually have the inputs to support this. As I would have to buy a U12 to use the D18 anyway as a converter I am very tempted to sell the Yulong and buy the Gustard X12 instead as it works out as the same price but is able to run 32bit recordings. The X12 can be used directly out of my PC via USB right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back