Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Feb 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #706 of 3,700

Maybe I'm missing something - but all I see is a link back to this thread. 

Sorry sir - I can't abide your command to produce a U12 schematic instantly.  Please accept my humble apologies.
ph34r.gif

Yes, you indeed DO miss something 
tongue_smile.gif

The link refers to another thread,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

It's 2 pages only, read it please 
beerchug.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:35 PM Post #707 of 3,700
  ===============================

Benny, see the link above from my post, (it's only 2 pages).
The head-fi user Ansi has contacted the manufacturer and he will visit them next month!
He even got offered the possibility to listen to all the Gustard products at their expenses!

I hope he can get the schematics, and i also hope to hear more about the upcoming Gustard X20 Dac 
bigsmile_face.gif

Yeah, I knew someone in the H10 thread had contact. He was using an eBay seller, I think, that had good communication with Gustard. I wanted to email them, but could never find an address.

I mistook that H10 thread for the new one you linked to, my bad. I'm also in China, so I'll have to PM Ansi and see what I can do in assisting anything with Gustard. Thanks, Abartels.

Feb 18, 2015 at 2:42 PM Post #708 of 3,700
tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

I did - I see no link to a U12 schematic.

I see link one to this thread:

Link 2:
There's also the big thread on the U12 USB interface, but I dunno if it belongs in a thread dedicated to Gustard amps and DACs

http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Link 3 - page 2
Hi Ansi,

I'm an owner of a Gustard U12 digital interface.
If you are planning to go to the factory, maybe you could ask if there are schematics available!
Would be very nice to get hands on them to mod the units :)

Further, i'm also VERY interested in the upcoming X20.

Keep us posted please 
bigsmile_face.gif

Regards,
Alex Bartels
http://www.head-fi.org/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

So where is the link to the U12 schematic?
confused_face_2.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM Post #709 of 3,700

I did - I see no link to a U12 schematic.

I see link one to this thread:
Link 2:
Link 3 - page 2
So where is the link to the U12 schematic?
confused_face_2.gif

rb2013 i just pointed out that somebody, ANSI, has contacted the manufacturer and MAYBE has the chance to lay his hands on the schematics.

And yes, i posted a link, but NOT to this thread, but to the thread where you can READ what he said 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
"Originally Posted by ansi 

They are in Shenzhen. 深圳歌诗德电子 or Shenzhen Geshide Dianzi (Shenzhen Gustard Electornics) is the company name. The brand is not widely known since they are an OEM manufacturer, most of their products are re-branded or customized and sold by their customers in both China and abroad such as Rein, Valab, LJM... and many others. Like many old shanzhai manufacturers, they have started to develop their own brand as of late, but really have been around for a long time."

and

"
edit: Called them up, happy to give me an interview. Feel free to send me any questions you want to ask em, cap'n :)
edit 2: Wow what nice guys. Not only did they invite me over to Shenzhen to take a tour and listen to all their stuff, byt they also offered to send me all their stuff to give them a listen, and cover the shipping back and forth."

Isn't that interesting stuff?

That's why i posted the link.

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #710 of 3,700
  rb2013 i just pointed out that somebody, ANSI, has contacted the manufacturer and MAYBE has the chance to lay his hands on the schematics.

And yes, i posted a link, but NOT to this thread, but to the thread where you can READ what he said 
tongue_smile.gif

Quote:
"Originally Posted by ansi 

They are in Shenzhen. 深圳歌诗德电子 or Shenzhen Geshide Dianzi (Shenzhen Gustard Electornics) is the company name. The brand is not widely known since they are an OEM manufacturer, most of their products are re-branded or customized and sold by their customers in both China and abroad such as Rein, Valab, LJM... and many others. Like many old shanzhai manufacturers, they have started to develop their own brand as of late, but really have been around for a long time."

and

"
edit: Called them up, happy to give me an interview. Feel free to send me any questions you want to ask em, cap'n :)
edit 2: Wow what nice guys. Not only did they invite me over to Shenzhen to take a tour and listen to all their stuff, byt they also offered to send me all their stuff to give them a listen, and cover the shipping back and forth."

Isn't that interesting stuff?

That's why i posted the link.

Oh Sorry!  I thought you had a link on that thread to the U12 schematic.  As you replied to my post about U12 schematics with

tongue_smile.gif

beerchug.gif

The post was interesting - but doesn't get us any closer to a transformer swap.
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif
deadhorse.gif

Feb 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #711 of 3,700
Has anyone compared the U12's ASIO vs WASAPI vs KS?
My trouble might only be related to the ASIO usage... No biggie as the WASAPI is an option too. To my ears they sound the same [only difference is that ASIO claims 32-bit,, while WASAPI goes to 24-bit 'padded' and KS stays at 24-bit]. Also, might be more practical.
Just curios what others think.
I had trouble with some ASIO drivers before. Also, both my DACs top put at 24/192, so the U12's ASIO output locking at 32-bit might be what's causing the problem... Would not be illogical.
Hopefully it will solve my problems.... I'll update again if not 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sigh... Still, locks -_-
Contacted Amazon about it.

I'd love to do an exchange. Would hate to lose such a great product, honestly.

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #713 of 3,700
  Has anyone compared the U12's ASIO vs WASAPI vs KS?
My trouble might only be related to the ASIO usage... No biggie as the WASAPI is an option too. To my ears they sound the same [only difference is that ASIO claims 32-bit,, while WASAPI goes to 24-bit 'padded' and KS stays at 24-bit]. Also, might be more practical.
Just curios what others think.
I had trouble with some ASIO drivers before. Also, both my DACs top put at 24/192, so the U12's ASIO output locking at 32-bit might be what's causing the problem... Would not be illogical.
Hopefully it will solve my problems.... I'll update again if not 
smily_headphones1.gif

Sigh... Still, locks -_-
Contacted Amazon about it.

I'd love to do an exchange. Would hate to lose such a great product, honestly.

If you are using Foobar2000 v1.3.4 - you can reset the bit rate in KS (Playback>Output>Output format>Output Data Format).  I can chose from 32-bit, 24-bit, 16-bit, 8-bit  Love Foobar!
I believe in the Thesycon Control Panel under Format you can select 24-bit or 16-bit

I can run either KS (XCore USB Audio 2.0 Output), WASAPI (XMOS XS 1-UB MFA (ST)), or ASIO (WaveIO ASIO Driver).  My favorite is KS then ASIO.   With KS if I don't set the Output Format in Foobar to 24-bit or less - my DAC (24-bit R2R) won't lock. With ASIO set for 32-bit (in the Foobar ASIO Virtual Devices menu>WaveIO ASIO set to 'SPDIF 32-bit'), Foobar grays out the Output Format - yet my DAC still locks.  WaveIO ASIO is set to 24-bit in the Control Panel.

PS - Trying both the KS and ASIO on my main system last night - I preferred the ASIO.  It seemed to have better tonality, a fuller presence, the KS a bit more incisive.  It's nice to be able to toggle easily between each mode and listen to the differences.  On my office system the KS sounds a bit better. Both work with out issue.

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:13 AM Post #714 of 3,700

Oh Sorry!  I thought you had a link on that thread to the U12 schematic.  As you replied to my post about U12 schematics with

The post was interesting - but doesn't get us any closer to a transformer swap.
wink_face.gif
beerchug.gif
deadhorse.gif

I am eager too to exchange the transformer, but, doing it without modifying the diodes and other components, it seems useless to me.
When i look at the pcb i can see 8 SMT diodes. When i look at the transformer i can see that there are TWO 9V outputs.
But, i can only see ONE power regulator.

So, i really need schematics before i'm going to rebuild the powerstage.

Exchanging the transformer to a better one is not useless, but, i want to overhaul it completely, with fast diodes and super regulators.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #715 of 3,700

I am eager too to exchange the transformer, but, doing it without modifying the diodes and other components, it seems useless to me.
When i look at the pcb i can see 8 SMT diodes. When i look at the transformer i can see that there are TWO 9V outputs.
But, i can only see ONE power regulator.

So, i really need schematics before i'm going to rebuild the powerstage.

Exchanging the transformer to a better one is not useless, but, i want to overhaul it completely, with fast diodes and super regulators.

That sounds like a good plan - I have contacted my supplier to see if he can provide a U12 schematic.

Feb 19, 2015 at 10:16 AM Post #716 of 3,700

That sounds like a good plan - I have contacted my supplier to see if he can provide a U12 schematic.

+1 Thanks! (Maybe the answer will take longer as normally expected, it's Chinese New Year) 
wink_face.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:51 PM Post #717 of 3,700
Ok. I decided to peak inside my U12 to see whether there was anything physically wrong with it. Everything seemed fine. [Side-note: one of the screws has seen better days... As in, it was semi-butchered from the factory and I am not sure I'll be able to get it out again without drilling it... This is my 3rd Chinese DAC/amp/converter [2x Audio-gd, 1x Gustard] to have this problem in a row! Is screw consistency really so hard to get right in China... And no, it is not my fault. It arrived that way new from the factory!]

Anyway, since everything seemed fine, I did one last thing as a last-resort-possible-solution - I uninstalled every other audio driver I had present on my PC that could possibly interfere-

Oh, it just locked... Never mind! But it played fine for 20 minutes 
frown.gif

I guess returning it back is the only possibility.

EDIT: Another 20mins+ and running without locking... Hmmm... This is really strange. Something must be causing the locks, not necessarily the device. I am really torn because shipping the unit to China for exchange is 40$, something Amazon probably won't pay for me or the seller...

Another lock after 20 minutes... Hm...

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:53 PM Post #718 of 3,700
The guy who got me started with the U10 liked the sound of my U12 and ordered the same.  His unit would frequently get the dashes in the display.  We swapped units and mine never failed with his M2Tech Young.  His unit tripped up constantly with my Yulong D18.  He paid for shipping back to China and he had to stay on top of the guy because the tracking info on a "reverse commute" is as useless as USPS tracking.  Eventually he got his 2nd unit and he prefers it over his u10.

Of the 4 u10s and 4 u12s my friends purchased, this was the first bum unit.

Seems exactly like the same problem I am having...

Feb 19, 2015 at 6:47 PM Post #719 of 3,700
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/690#post_11332630 layout=inline] [/CONTENTEMBED]
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/736294/gustard-u12-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip/690#post_11332630 layout=inline]Of the 4 u10s and 4 u12s my friends purchased, this was the first bum unit.[/CONTENTEMBED]

Seems exactly like the same problem I am having...

Bummer. Seems like there's only one fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back