Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
Sep 29, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #16 of 3,700
Yes, foobar has similar, but I find the 1dB fine control of the Musiland really useful. Good to hear about the TUSB control.

Actually Jriver allows you to change volume in .5db steps. It is all done in the digital domain with 64bit processing so changes under 10db do no damage to the sound quality. I believe foobar is processing in 32bit but to be honest I cannot hear the difference.

Sep 30, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #17 of 3,700
I would be interested in how this sounds.  
I do believe USB-spdif converters benefit hugely from a good battery power supply, even over linear PS unless near state of art, so I would have preferred a DC input jack on the Gustard U12 myself.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #18 of 3,700
http://www.acopian.com/mobile/pages.aspx?page=wide-l-goldbox-infinity-m

I would be interested in how this sounds.  
I do believe USB-spdif converters benefit hugely from a good battery power supply, even over linear PS unless near state of art, so I would have preferred a DC input jack on the Gustard U12 myself.
I did a lot of experimentation with my M2Tech Evo and Audiopilleo 2, with battery ps's. They were smooth, but seemed to rob the dynamics. Wound up building my own ultra quiet linear ps, based on the Acopian 'Gold Box' infinity. Really sounded much better. More detail and way more dynamic. But the Musiland 3.0 USB USD sounded better still with the Aquvox linear ps.

For me the battery route didn't do it. I found this same issue with the battery powered phono preamp I once had. Polite but boring. YMMV.

It looks like Gustard went the extra mile in the power supply design.

Sep 30, 2014 at 10:56 AM Post #19 of 3,700
Actually Jriver allows you to change volume in .5db steps. It is all done in the digital domain with 64bit processing so changes under 10db do no damage to the sound quality. I believe foobar is processing in 32bit but to be honest I cannot hear the difference.
Well, I like foobar alot. Did try Jriver, nice to. I'm a big fan of the SoX upsampler for Foobar. I tried many and it sounded smoothest (including the Crystal Upsampler in Wavelab 6.0).

The balance control is not a big deal, just need -1dB in the right channel in my main listening room do to room issues. With my hd800 hp system, not an issue. I agree on the SQ degradation from a small amount, wouldn't use the digital as a vol controler.

Oct 1, 2014 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 3,700
I got this one http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/54-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wauto-power-switch.html , it's quite good compared to the internal CA DacMagic Plus XMOS usb and the Peachtree X1, also another XMOS. Unfortunately it's now out of stock and they raised the price. When I got it, it's just a little over 126$ shipping included.

The Gustard looks to be overbuilt using the same chip generation as this diyinhk converter. If you check the specsheet of the XMOS usb chip https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XS1-U8A-64-FB96-Datasheet%281.7%29.pdf you will know how to read the chip part marking (19.1) to know which lot your chip belong to.

Oct 1, 2014 at 9:07 AM Post #21 of 3,700
http://www.acopian.com/mobile/pages.aspx?page=wide-l-goldbox-infinity-m
I did a lot of experimentation with my M2Tech Evo and Audiopilleo 2, with battery ps's. They were smooth, but seemed to rob the dynamics. Wound up building my own ultra quiet linear ps, based on the Acopian 'Gold Box' infinity. Really sounded much better. More detail and way more dynamic. But the Musiland 3.0 USB USD sounded better still with the Aquvox linear ps.

For me the battery route didn't do it. I found this same issue with the battery powered phono preamp I once had. Polite but boring. YMMV.

It looks like Gustard went the extra mile in the power supply design.

You modified the Acopian or built one from scratch?  It's unbelievable how much "audiophile" companies charge for their linear power supplies; same for audiophile battery power supplies, but at least you can always buy your own batteries easily and rig one up.  

What kind of batteries have you tried, any Li-ion or LiFePO4 ?  I agree in general linear PS's tends to have bigger macrodynamics, especially compared to SLA batteries, but there is something about a good battery powering low-power components, especially digital, that appeals to me.  There is a calmness within calmness, seeming like time slows down, with vocal and instrumental timbre that sound more authentic to me.  

Oct 1, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #22 of 3,700
You modified the Acopian or built one from scratch?  It's unbelievable how much "audiophile" companies charge for their linear power supplies; same for audiophile battery power supplies, but at least you can always buy your own batteries easily and rig one up.  

What kind of batteries have you tried, any Li-ion or LiFePO4 ?  I agree in general linear PS's tends to have bigger macrodynamics, especially compared to SLA batteries, but there is something about a good battery powering low-power components, especially digital, that appeals to me.  There is a calmness within calmness, seeming like time slows down, with vocal and instrumental timbre that sound more authentic to me.  
I modded the Acopian, just found the right voltage version and made the right connectors for the Evo.

I've tried both Li battery versions, they're cheap enough to build these days. One with an auto recharge function. Even tried a Lead acid version based on a UBS box.

I agree with quietness issue, it was most apparent in the phono preamp I had. But with really good power filtering, and getting rid of those horrid switching power supplies, you can get close. On USB, get the power supply away from the PC. So much ps noise generated in that envirnoment, those fan motors are nasty. I use SoTm internal PC filters, on the HDs and fans. With the linear ps you can maintain the excellent dynamics.

Oct 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #23 of 3,700
I got this one http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/54-xmos-192khz-high-quality-usb-to-spdif-with-ultralow-noise-1uv-regulator-wauto-power-switch.html , it's quite good compared to the internal CA DacMagic Plus XMOS usb and the Peachtree X1, also another XMOS. Unfortunately it's now out of stock and they raised the price. When I got it, it's just a little over 126$ shipping included.

The Gustard looks to be overbuilt using the same chip generation as this diyinhk converter. If you check the specsheet of the XMOS usb chip https://www.xmos.com/download/public/XS1-U8A-64-FB96-Datasheet%281.7%29.pdf you will know how to read the chip part marking (19.1) to know which lot your chip belong to.
I love overbuilt! :wink:
Here is a great blog, that I participate in (wrote the reader review of the different Musilands), that goes into detail on DIYINHK USB interface, and XMOS chip implementation in general. I post there under Sam5050. If you go to the end of the comments section, I asked about the somewhat questionable clocking method employed with that XMOS USB device.

Good info on the XMOS part marking codes thanks!

Http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/01/24/diyinhk-isolated-xmos-usb-interface/

Edit Typo

Oct 6, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #28 of 3,700
Hi, i bought this product too. But i'm desperate searching for driver for this device. The seller didn't give me the driver. How can i install Gustard U12 on my Windows 7 64 bit ? My email Arutemishareborn@gmail.com.

Oct 6, 2014 at 6:57 AM Post #29 of 3,700
I have also ordered a Gustard U12, arrived 3 days ago from China
It sounds brilliant, bass became somewhat more elemental while the mids and highs are now more detailed
I can only recommend it!

notes: I have replaced a CM6631A based USB powered Chinese board (which also sounded way better than the on-board SPDIF out of my PC) with the Gustard
IMHO both the CM6631A and the Gustard U12 sound much better than the Nuforce U192S (I had that one before the CM6631A)

Oct 6, 2014 at 7:16 AM Post #30 of 3,700
Wow. Awesome.
But i can't prove it now because i don't have driver to install Gustard U12 ( stupid seller ). Maybe someone can help me with the driver. Ironic isn't it. Have a good device but can't use it. lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back