Gustard U12 USB Interface 8 Core XMOS chip
May 19, 2015 at 9:57 AM Post #1,591 of 3,700
Hi i will try to take some pics
I myself would (and will) go for external feeding XO's with ultra low noise psu.
You can order the 0.8uV ultra low noise from DIYINHK, as earlier posted. It is a double version and needs 2 seperate 6~ to 8~ Volt transformer ( transformer 6Vx2 15VA).
I will post some pictures when starting this mod.
Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

Hi Alex, thanks and very interesting indeed.  But this is way out of my ability
I was thinking to something much more basic.  To send to the caps before the regulator (i understand there is just one regulator ?) a DC regulated voltage bypassing the internal toroidal
In this way there will be two stage of regulations.   I have already a suitable lab power supply 0-30 V that i could use (adjustable of course on the V needed).
Just a DC socket on the back and some wires will be needed on the unit and the mod will be reversible.  The unit could still work with the original PS.
In this way i should be able to lower noise, increase mains filtering, avoid any vibration induced noise
But i have to look at the pcb and measure the DC voltage before the regulator
Please post your pictures
Thanks and regards,  gino

May 19, 2015 at 10:11 AM Post #1,592 of 3,700

I myself would (and will) go for external feeding XO's with ultra low noise psu.
You can order the 0.8uV ultra low noise from DIYINHK, as earlier posted. It is a double version and needs 2 seperate 6~ to 8~ Volt transformer ( transformer 6Vx2 15VA).

If you doing so, also replace the stock XO's (which aren't bad at all). Just put them on a socket and configure that socket to receive its GND and Power from 0.8uV psu.

Please be aware to jumper the 0.8uV psu to 3.3V output before connecting everything.

I have the components at hand to install 0.8uV psu, only need one 2x6V~ transformer which will fit in MX-U8.

Btw, if placing 0.8uV noise psu, be aware that the stock Panasonic caps won't fit in enclosure MX-U8. You need lower profile caps.
The 0.8 uV ultra low noise psu (  http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/73-08uv-ultralow-noise-dac-power-supply-regulator-33v5v-1ax2.html  ) has 2x Panasonic FC 5600uF-25V with a hight of 40mm.

I advise replacing them with Nichicon HW series 4700uF-25V ( UHW1E470MHD ) with a hight of 31,5mm
You could try 5600uF-25V ( UHW1E560MHD ) with a hight of 35,5mm, but I'm not sure if it will fit.

There's not much room to place this psu, best is to remove faceplate and mount psu on its top (top of the caps) at bottom plate, and fix it with some "construction kit".
Be sure you can connect the wires after mounting the pcb, and be sure you don't short circuit anything,,,,,

I will post some pictures when starting this mod.

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

This sounds awesome, but definitely beyond my current capabilities without some help. It's probably too much to ask, but I'm sure I wouldn't be the only one who would be very grateful if you posted a step-by-step "how-to" with pictures. Just an idea...

May 19, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #1,593 of 3,700
  Hi i will try to take some pics

Hi Alex, thanks and very interesting indeed.  But this is way out of my ability
I was thinking to something much more basic.  To send to the caps before the regulator (i understand there is just one regulator ?) a DC regulated voltage bypassing the internal toroidal
In this way there will be two stage of regulations.   I have already a suitable lab power supply 0-30 V that i could use (adjustable of course on the V needed).
Just a DC socket on the back and some wires will be needed on the unit and the mod will be reversible.  The unit could still work with the original PS.
In this way i should be able to lower noise, increase mains filtering, avoid any vibration induced noise
But i have to look at the pcb and measure the DC voltage before the regulator
Please post your pictures
Thanks and regards,  gino

Hi Gino,

Hmm, it's a possibility, just measure the DC Voltage after the big BC caps, then you know what you have to feed the caps (i would still use them!!)

Yes, I will post pictures if I start this project.

@ auvgeek:
And yes, I wil do step by step tutorial including pictures.

Regards,
Alex

May 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM Post #1,594 of 3,700
Hi guys,

Just started a new thread about Melodious, this will keep thing on topic 
wink_face.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/t/767935/melodious-xm-u8-usb-interface-8-core-xmos-chip

Cheers 
beerchug.gif

Alex

May 19, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #1,595 of 3,700
Originally Posted by abartels /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Gino,
Hmm, it's a possibility, just measure the DC Voltage after the big BC caps, then you know what you have to feed the caps (i would still use them!!)
Yes, I will post pictures if I start this project.

@ auvgeek:
And yes, I wil do step by step tutorial including pictures.
Regards,
Alex

Hi and thanks for the valuable advice
My main concern with digital is the RF/HF noise that can be found in the mains
I have often notice that during sunday in my industrial area sound is better with the factories closed.
The toroidals by themselves they do not provide a good filtering of this noise.   I like very much indeed the way Schiit Audio make the PS for their dacs. 
A very good reference and i think also contributes to the very good sound.
RF noise is very bad for digital.   I do not like toroidal transformers with digital.  So the idea is to bypass it mainly and keep the already decent internal regulation.
My supply has some 0.5mV of residual ripple but very good RF rejection (no toroidal inside but a robust EI transformer)
Kind regards,  gino

May 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM Post #1,596 of 3,700
Hi i have a question on the Gustard U12 that i still have

Does anyone know [COLOR=FF0000]if the U12  is " USB Class Compliant " ?[/COLOR]  :rolleyes:

i will test this asap but if someone already knows ... i am really curious. :xf_eek:
Because i have an insane project in mind ... using an Android media player with the " Usb Audio Player Pro " app, that is said to work with USB Class compliant devices, as a source for the U12  :blink:

[COLOR=FF0000]https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.extreamsd.usbaudioplayerpro&hl=en[/COLOR]

I have come to the conclusion that the lighter the OS the better can be the sound
To check the weight of an OS one telling way is to look at its requirements for compatible HW
And Android OS runs also on very poor HW ....  but i have to try of course.

Thanks a lot,  gino :D

Gino, the U12 is compliant. I am using an android tablet with the UAPP program and it sounds great. Interestingly, I could use the native Android USB media player on my Xiaomi Mi pad to stream Tidal through the U12, but it didn't work when I tried the Tanly DDC. Apparently the Tanly has updated firmware that requires a more current android kernel. I switched to a new Samsung Tab S and it works fine with the Tanly in both native mode and with UAPP.

With all this discussion and concern about dirty USB power, I would think a battery operated Android device would alleviate much of this problem. My current set up actually sounds better to me than playing the same music on CD with my Rega Apollo R as the transport. I now rip the CD to a flac file and play it on my tablet with UAPP into the Tanly DDC. It's got to be about the jitter reduction. It sounds crazy good and I didn't expect it to best the Rega.

May 19, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #1,597 of 3,700
Gino, the U12 is compliant. I am using an android tablet with the UAPP program and it sounds great. 

Hi ! this is a very good news indeed.  I have a media player Himedia q5 II with UAPP uploaded.  

http://www.amazon.it/HiMedia-Q5-II-Android-MediaPlayer-HD-Audio/dp/B00F7U16A6

I have a cheap Muse Audio usb dac compatible and the sound was very interesting. I guess with the U12 connected to my best dac should be even better. I am excited to try

Interestingly, I could use the native Android USB media player on my Xiaomi Mi pad to stream Tidal through the U12, but it didn't work when I tried the Tanly DDC.
Apparently the Tanly has updated firmware that requires a more current android kernel. I switched to a new Samsung Tab S and it works fine with the Tanly in both native mode and with UAPP.
With all this discussion and concern about dirty USB power, I would think a battery operated Android device would alleviate much of this problem.

I think the same but then an external usb power supply can be easily found.  I have already a Teradak cheap unit and it works.  But i am waiting for an usb isolator with a DC socket on the pcb to use an external power supply
I have a very good one that can provide up to 2A quite clean ... if it will work ok i will report but i have only cd files ... no hi rez here. 

My current set up actually sounds better to me than playing the same music on CD with my Rega Apollo R as the transport.
I now rip the CD to a flac file and play it on my tablet with UAPP into the Tanly DDC. It's got to be about the jitter reduction. It sounds crazy good and I didn't expect it to best the Rega.

That is very interesting because the Apollo i understand is one of the good ones indeed !   
I go a little OT briefly now.  I am very interested in very slim OS, operating system able to run also on very poor HW.   And Android is one of these.  Problem is that no audio manufacturer provide drivers for Android devices. 
But with the Gustard could be a killer digital source indeed.   Personally i think that the Gustard could have a better PS and isolated usb port and it would be even better.
I have both the U10 and the U12.  Like them a lot  ... but not love them 
Thanks again,  gino   

May 19, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #1,598 of 3,700
Hey guys

Just got the Gustard U12 and I'm wondering which drivers to use for it... right now I am using XMOS-Melodius(v2.19.0).exe

It sounds good but not great... any suggestions for other drivers, or am I using the correct ones? I'm just using WASAPI playback with Foobar in Windows 7.

May 19, 2015 at 2:13 PM Post #1,599 of 3,700

That's rather unfortunate...  Keep working on the seller or maybe talk to the manufacture directly as they should swap out the unit for you (or at least change the main board for a fully working one).

I have verified that both COAX and AES out's work fine with my U8.

That said, I did something yesterday that I haven't done in a while....  I bypassed the U8 and plugged the USB cable directly into my April Music DP1 DAC.
After a driver re-install and setup - I can honestly say that I didn't realize what I was missing by playing around with these relatively inexpensive DDC's.  The U10, U12, MX-U8, are all very good in their own right, but I would be remiss to say that they do a better job than the DP1 on its own. 
Yes the DP1 is in a different price category - guess I was hoping it would be something of a David vs. Goliath showdown.
The amazing part is how close David get's to Goliath here, but the solid reality is that Goliath ultimately wins this battle of sonic prowess.

I also have an April Music Stello U3 DDC which I will put back in the mix over the next few days.  If my memory serves me correctly, the U3 is very similar sounding to the DP1 (after all the DP1 essentially has a U3 built into it), with maybe just a hair increase in overall resolution.

Yes, I'm still working with the seller.  I responded to their first e-mail so hopefully they will come back with an RAM.  If not, I'll try to get in touch with Melodious.

May 19, 2015 at 2:18 PM Post #1,601 of 3,700

Hi me also i do not want to go OT.
Personally i think that the Melodious MX-U8 deserves a specific thread where to put experiences of use and so on.
I think it is a unit with a great quality/price ratio ...
Bye gino

No doubt.  I thought someone said earlier on this thread they were going to do that but I never saw it.

Nevermind, I see abartels started the new thread now.

May 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #1,602 of 3,700

The picture you posted shows that there are two 110 Ohm resistors missing: one resistor is in series to the primary of the
balanced out and the other one is close to the top left corner of the red rectangle. Both resistors are clearly soldered to the
PCB in other pics of the MX-U8 appearing in the WEB.

Whether deciding to return the unit is entirely up to you, it might be easier and faster soldering the resistors by your self: a couple of 220 Ohm
resistors in 0805 package soldered in parallel will give you a perfect 110 ohms like reported on the PCB (110 ohms is commonly used to
adapt the impedance of the balanced output which is 110 Ohm - a single 110 Ohm is of course better but it might more difficult to find).

Good luck.

Yes, I noticed those two myself but I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be that way or not.  Thanks for confirming what's supposed to be there.  At least we know why it's not working.  I would prefer to get it replaced if possible.   Soldering SMT is never fun but, worst case, I will do that.

May 19, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #1,603 of 3,700

Hi and thanks for the very interesting comparison. 
Which interface have you actually tested with the DP1 ?  U10, U12 or MX-U8 ?
in case you have tested more than one which one the best ?
Actually i think that if the usb input is very well designed and realized the fact to have it inside the dac is a benefit
Thanks a lot,  gino

All of the above have been tested with the DP1.
I can't say any were bad per-say, just different.  The two Gustard's sound quite similar but my preference here goes to the U12, primarily for the updates it has over the U10.
The MX-U8 is more forward sounding out of the box compared to the Gustard's - Not a bad thing, just different.  After swapping out the fuse and adding Stillpoints ERS, the sound relaxed quite a bit (maybe a bit too much?).  It likely needs more burn-in time (especially the fuse), but I couldn't help the feeling that something was missing. As soon as I switched back to the DP1 everything just sounded "right" - More musical - Less digital.

BTW, the DP1 does require 5V power, and even still I prefer it sonically to the MX-U8 which doesn't.....  Just some food for thought
wink.gif

(To be fair I'm feeding it battery power - so it's as clean as can be).

May 19, 2015 at 3:18 PM Post #1,604 of 3,700

Yes, I noticed those two myself but I wasn't sure if they were supposed to be that way or not.  Thanks for confirming what's supposed to be there.  At least we know why it's not working.  I would prefer to get it replaced if possible.   Soldering SMT is never fun but, worst case, I will do that.

Just looking at the photo's I took of the innards of my U8...... yes those resistor's should definitely be there!

May 19, 2015 at 5:49 PM Post #1,605 of 3,700

It was shenzhenaudio.  I'm still working with them so let's see if they come back with an RMA.

Crap, I just bought my U8 from them also. So does this mean that all of the units will not work with AES? I'm trying to determine if everybody has this defect, or just some of the units.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back