Gustard H16
Oct 31, 2021 at 8:45 PM Post #91 of 193
Just hooked up the Gustard H16 with RCA's to the Chord MojoPoly using Roon and the IE 900's connected to the balanced 4.4 output. Last week I also received a Topping A50s and I wanted to compare the two to see if the H16 was worth the extra expense. I read everything there was to find about the H16 since it seems there isn't much info for this amp besides this thread and a couple of reviews that aren't very elaborate. Joshua Valour really didn't say much either that was very informative besides that he liked it and it was 'warmer'. The Singxer is getting all the praise apparently these days and I was wondering myself if I just had to push through for the Singxer SA1. I only use in-ears (Sennheiser IE 900 and Vision Ears VE5) so I needed an amp that didn't produce any noise with reasonably sensitive inears like the IE 900.

As I mentioned I received the A50s last week and thought it was a reasonable match with the IE 900. Dead quiet, very transparent and detailed with a wide soundstage but with very little depth. Also dynamics besides sub bass were lacking. I've been using the IE 900's with the Chord Mojo and a Vorzuge Vorzamp Pure II that doesn't have a wide soundstage but sounds more natural and realistic compared to the A50s with better dynamics. After 20 seconds stone cold out of the box I realised it's a different caliber of amp. It is dead quiet in low gain, I couldn't pick up the faintest noise, a pitch black background, so I was already very happy with that possible issue out of the way since ASR mentioned this amp wouldn't be an ideal match for sensitive in-ears.

These are still very early impressions since this amp will probably get better but it surprised me in a wonderful way. It has all of the advantages of the linear amps like speed, detail and soundstage while adding depth and a touch of warmth combined with a denser tonality. This was what I was missing with the A50s, believable voices that sound real. The A50s has some very nice traits, but since it lacks dynamics and tonal density it never pulled me into the music. The last two songs I've tested were Rodrigo y Gabriela's FOC and Diablo Rojo live in Japan. I love to use these tracks to push amps to their limits since a lesser amp will show dents in the armour. The Gustard shined here and transformed the IE 900's to the best sound I've heard from them yet. I bought the H16 on sale through Amazon.de for an excellent price and I'm very happy with my purchase, I'm going to continue listening now. edit typo.
I too own the H16 and have kept it over the Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum,SMSL SP200 and the Schiit Magnius. I love how it gives a touch of warmth and does seem to open up the soundstage. This is probably the first time I have noticed that on an amp.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #93 of 193
Can you try out a couple of iems if you have and say how they sound on the H16 on 4.4 balanced mode? I was wondering how well single DD iems like FD5 or Zen would sound on the amp? I don't have any hps. TIA.
I have the X16/H16 stack and the Dunu Zen and I love them with the stack, it has brought out alot of details on the Zen that I didn't hear on my Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum and the Schiit Magnius. The bass hits hard, the mids are very smooth and the treble is definitely not harsh.

Oct 31, 2021 at 10:22 PM Post #94 of 193
My H16 gets warm but is never hot and I often have it on for many hours. And, surprisingly, I've had to run it in high gain using the XLR output unless I wanted to have the volume at 70 or more in some instances. I primarily use the H16 (connected via XLR to an X16) for streaming TV and Blu-ray discs. The headphones (Sennheiser HD 700 and ZMF Aeolus) I use most often have rather high impedance (150 and 300 respectively) but are generally not considered difficult to drive. Given the H16's power rating, I expected to use mid gain but found the volume too low in many instances. On high gain, I am usually between 35 and 60 depending on what I am listening to; I tend to have to push the volume higher with discs than with streaming. When I do listen to music, I am generally at 45-50 on high with the Aeolus. I like it loud, but not ridiculously loud, at least IMO. For comparison, I mainly listen to music with the Liquid Platinum and the Aeolus and rarely get past 10 o'clock on that amp (which has a lot more power than the H16 and no adjustable gain).
I've had mine for several months now and it never seems to get warm even on high gain also running at about 50 on the volume pot and on high gain and that is running it at 5 to 6 hours a day usually

Nov 1, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #95 of 193
Can you tell me what iems that play to sufficient volume of 2, this worries me that my hearing is worse than I thought. I listen to Dunu Zen at 10 on my X16/ H16 stack.
I didn't check all of my IEMs, but IMR Semper and EDP, Moodrop Starfield. and SFT MT300 are all fine at 2. The MT300 may need 3 (and Blessing 2, too, possibly, but I've sold it, so I can't check anymore). In any case, anything beyond 5 gets uncomfortable for me, and turning it up to 10 is way too loud. That said, I generally don't listen to music at high volumes.

Nov 2, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #96 of 193
I didn't check all of my IEMs, but IMR Semper and EDP, Moodrop Starfield. and SFT MT300 are all fine at 2. The MT300 may need 3 (and Blessing 2, too, possibly, but I've sold it, so I can't check anymore). In any case, anything beyond 5 gets uncomfortable for me, and turning it up to 10 is way too loud. That said, I generally don't listen to music at hig

I didn't check all of my IEMs, but IMR Semper and EDP, Moodrop Starfield. and SFT MT300 are all fine at 2. The MT300 may need 3 (and Blessing 2, too, possibly, but I've sold it, so I can't check anymore). In any case, anything beyond 5 gets uncomfortable for me, and turning it up to 10 is way too loud. That said, I generally don't listen to music at high volumes.
Is there anybody that has listened to the Dunu Zen on the H16 and what level do you listen to?

Dec 1, 2021 at 4:40 AM Post #98 of 193
This amp is not getting much attention here. I have got Gustard X16/H16 stack. The Gustard H16 is 399USD @ shenzhenaudio. The Topping A90 is 100USD more than H16 but does not have a remote. Singxer SA-1 is 599USD and does not have a remote.
Coupled with X16, this amp is a gem at this price. I have never listened to A90 but have listened to several THX AAA amps. THX amps are very neutral and analytical amps sometimes dry sounding to my taste as they sometimes lack musicality.
H16 is a warm amp with such musical sound. It does not color the music and has a peculiar quality of retaining neutrality and transparency while giving the sound some fun musicality and energy. It has layers of micro details and a wonderful soundstage. It packs some punch and oomph to music while keeping neutrality and transparency. A strange combination indeed!
I love what I hear after burning in the units. These are hefty units that show good build quality. They drive my Hifiman HE1000 V2 and Focal Clear Pro through 4.4mm Pentaconn with authority. I am very happy with the purchase.

I realize that I'm a little bit late to the party but I am looking at this stack. Maybe a bit unrelated but I noticed that you also own an iFi Micro iDSD BL and I am very curious how you would say this stack compares to it. I have not been able to find any decent comparisons between the Micro iDSD and a true desktop stack.

I personally own Hifiman Arya (V1) and iFi Micro iDSD (non BL) and iPurifier 3. I am trying to find out whether a desktop stack is worth the upgrade for me and the H16 + X16 stack is on my list. Curious about your thoughts!

Dec 2, 2021 at 12:05 PM Post #99 of 193
I realize that I'm a little bit late to the party but I am looking at this stack. Maybe a bit unrelated but I noticed that you also own an iFi Micro iDSD BL and I am very curious how you would say this stack compares to it. I have not been able to find any decent comparisons between the Micro iDSD and a true desktop stack.

I personally own Hifiman Arya (V1) and iFi Micro iDSD (non BL) and iPurifier 3. I am trying to find out whether a desktop stack is worth the upgrade for me and the H16 + X16 stack is on my list. Curious about your thoughts!
Hi @JvH26 , I have the A18+H16 stack plus Arya V2 (mesh cloth grille). On medium gain I can rock out at volume level 65. A pleasant-sounding combo IMHO. You can go for it.

Dec 2, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #100 of 193
Hi @JvH26 , I have the A18+H16 stack plus Arya V2 (mesh cloth grille). On medium gain I can rock out at volume level 65. A pleasant-sounding combo IMHO. You can go for it.
Thanks for your response! Today I bought the Gustard X-16 as I found one second hand for a price I couldn't resist. I am now in doubt about the amp. THX 789 I can get for almost exactly half the price of the H16 where I live so not sure which route to go.

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:34 PM Post #101 of 193
Thanks for your response! Today I bought the Gustard X-16 as I found one second hand for a price I couldn't resist. I am now in doubt about the amp. THX 789 I can get for almost exactly half the price of the H16 where I live so not sure which route to go.
My OCD made.me go.for H16, plus H16 has relay based volume control. It will complete the stack. Go for H16 😊 imho.

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #103 of 193
I absolutely agree, plus I think the THX 789 is too sterile for my taste. It is a good amp if you are if that is the sound signature you like, but I like a little warmth.
I bought the 789 due to the big difference in price. I want to hear it for myself. It might be too sterile indeed as well for my taste, I guess I will find out :).

Dec 7, 2021 at 2:17 PM Post #104 of 193
I purchased the H16 as a preamp for a Nord ICE1200AS2 power amp - as it only has balanced inputs. This is a little gem as a preamp. I am stunned at how low the noise floor seems to be, and how the notes seem to pop out of an inky black background. That combination punches in way above it's price point. I am using a Topping D70s MQA DAC fed by a dedicated fanless PC running Daphile.

I wasn't expecting much as this combo was supposed to be my fallback for speakers that needed prodigious power. It actually sounds incredible on all speakers. I find myself listening, laughing, and shaking my head with each track.

Dec 7, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #105 of 193
I bought the 789 due to the big difference in price. I want to hear it for myself. It might be too sterile indeed as well for my taste, I guess I will find out :).
A bit of an update, I am really happy with this set up so far. I am currently using good XLR cables from the X-16 to the 789, but am still awaiting my balanced headphone cable. I am running high gain with my Arya's. I think for me the Arya is already warm enough for this stack to not sound too sterile for my taste. Curious what the balanced cable will do/change as well as the additional power of the Balanced output of the 789. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back