Gustard H16
Aug 23, 2021 at 5:09 AM Post #77 of 193
What type of trouble did you have with the A90?
I found the volume pot to be a tool of the devil. It had bad channel imbalances even at higher volumes, so to find that sweet spot I had to fiddle with volume elsewhere, and when I'd change the headphones I would have to do the pot and volume dancing again to get the balance right. Secondly, even with the volume turned all the way down, there was some sound delivered to headphones. The pot itself had some slack, so turning it didn't immediately effect a change in volume. Finally, I think the A90 blew my AFO because the headphone broke right after I started using it with the A90.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #78 of 193
I found the volume pot to be a tool of the devil. It had bad channel imbalances even at higher volumes, so to find that sweet spot I had to fiddle with volume elsewhere, and when I'd change the headphones I would have to do the pot and volume dancing again to get the balance right. Secondly, even with the volume turned all the way down, there was some sound delivered to headphones. The pot itself had some slack, so turning it didn't immediately effect a change in volume. Finally, I think the A90 blew my AFO because the headphone broke right after I started using it with the A90.
wow sorry to hear that, the AFO is my next cans after getting AFC..

Aug 23, 2021 at 5:50 AM Post #79 of 193
wow sorry to hear that, the AFO is my next cans after getting AFC..
Enjoy. I'm still gutted about my AFO dying. It was my first proper piece of audiophile gear.

Aug 23, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #80 of 193
Wow!!! I'm sorry to hear about that. That's what seems to happen: A new piece of gear comes up on the market and everyone goes ga-ga over it, hyping it up and about 6 months later, you start hearing the horror stories.

Oct 26, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #81 of 193
Just hooked up the Gustard H16 with RCA's to the Chord MojoPoly using Roon and the IE 900's connected to the balanced 4.4 output. Last week I also received a Topping A50s and I wanted to compare the two to see if the H16 was worth the extra expense. I read everything there was to find about the H16 since it seems there isn't much info for this amp besides this thread and a couple of reviews that aren't very elaborate. Joshua Valour really didn't say much either that was very informative besides that he liked it and it was 'warmer'. The Singxer is getting all the praise apparently these days and I was wondering myself if I just had to push through for the Singxer SA1. I only use in-ears (Sennheiser IE 900 and Vision Ears VE5) so I needed an amp that didn't produce any noise with reasonably sensitive inears like the IE 900.

As I mentioned I received the A50s last week and thought it was a reasonable match with the IE 900. Dead quiet, very transparent and detailed with a wide soundstage but with very little depth. Also dynamics besides sub bass were lacking. I've been using the IE 900's with the Chord Mojo and a Vorzuge Vorzamp Pure II that doesn't have a wide soundstage but sounds more natural and realistic compared to the A50s with better dynamics. After 20 seconds stone cold out of the box I realised it's a different caliber of amp. It is dead quiet in low gain, I couldn't pick up the faintest noise, a pitch black background, so I was already very happy with that possible issue out of the way since ASR mentioned this amp wouldn't be an ideal match for sensitive in-ears.

These are still very early impressions since this amp will probably get better but it surprised me in a wonderful way. It has all of the advantages of the linear amps like speed, detail and soundstage while adding depth and a touch of warmth combined with a denser tonality. This was what I was missing with the A50s, believable voices that sound real. The A50s has some very nice traits, but since it lacks dynamics and tonal density it never pulled me into the music. The last two songs I've tested were Rodrigo y Gabriela's FOC and Diablo Rojo live in Japan. I love to use these tracks to push amps to their limits since a lesser amp will show dents in the armour. The Gustard shined here and transformed the IE 900's to the best sound I've heard from them yet. I bought the H16 on sale through Amazon.de for an excellent price and I'm very happy with my purchase, I'm going to continue listening now. :)

edit typo.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2021 at 4:21 AM Post #82 of 193
Had chance to do head to head with A90 - dac used was Gustard X16 - XLR out, 4.4 HO on both
I found slight better musicality and fun sounding overall in H16, mid as not as clear and sterile as A90 and definitely low mid and low are warmer on H16 but still maintain clean sounding.
I am glad to choose H16 over A90. My only comment is I wish H16 was as powerfull as A90.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #83 of 193
My only comment is I wish H16 was as powerfull as A90.
I actually sold my A90 because it had too much power for my needs. I got the H16 and it still has power to spare. I don't even need to take it up to mid gain despite using some power-hungry sets. Hifiman Arya is loud enough at volume 15, ZMF Atticus needs a bit more, maybe 20-25 for comfortable listening volumes.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:13 AM Post #84 of 193
I actually sold my A90 because it had too much power for my needs. I got the H16 and it still has power to spare. I don't even need to take it up to mid gain despite using some power-hungry sets. Hifiman Arya is loud enough at volume 15, ZMF Atticus needs a bit more, maybe 20-25 for comfortable listening volumes.
I have the A90 (paired with Soncoz LA-QXD1 DAC).Might get the H16 later.Curious how the Topping's sound signature differs from that of H16's.Since you have heard both,is H16 better or just different?TIA.

Oct 27, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #85 of 193
Since you have heard both,is H16 better or just different?
I honestly couldn't tell you because I only had the A90 for about a month before I sold it. The wonky volume pot was another reason I got rid of it. I was fiddling with knobs more to get the right channel balance more than just enjoying music.
I think the A90 was a little brighter, sterile, more clinical in how it rendered sound, but I only had it for a month or so before I sold it, so my memory could be playing tricks. Both amps are neutral and transparent, although the A90 measures better, so maybe that has some effect on sound. Though whether or not that is audible to the human ear, I couldn't tell you.
To me, having even balance at all volumes, all the way down to 1 outweighs all the advantages the A90 may have over the H16. I do miss the flip switches for source, gain, and output though, not gonna lie.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:36 AM Post #86 of 193
I used to listen to the Mojopoly and Vorzüge exclusively for years, and after getting the H16 and its wonderful performance I think it deserved a balanced DAC. The obvious choice would be the X16 but after hours of thread reading I chose the new VMV D1se as it seems to be a new benchmark for the price. Reviewers claim it to be a more organic DAC compared to the X16 that pulls the listener more into the music. I'll post some impressions of the match after receiving it tomorrow.

While I'm typing this the H16 is really fun to listen to already. The dynamics seem to have increased slightly and the tonal balance is really excellent. I don't have anything else of the competition to compare it to but it still seems like it has been money well spent.

Oct 28, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #87 of 193
I used to listen to the Mojopoly and Vorzüge exclusively for years, and after getting the H16 and its wonderful performance I think it deserved a balanced DAC. The obvious choice would be the X16 but after hours of thread reading I chose the new VMV D1se as it seems to be a new benchmark for the price. Reviewers claim it to be a more organic DAC compared to the X16 that pulls the listener more into the music. I'll post some impressions of the match after receiving it tomorrow.

While I'm typing this the H16 is really fun to listen to already. The dynamics seem to have increased slightly and the tonal balance is really excellent. I don't have anything else of the competition to compare it to but it still seems like it has been money well spent.
I am also considering the D1SE + H16 combo.Do post impressions on the synergy between the two.Cheers!

Oct 28, 2021 at 12:02 PM Post #88 of 193
I am also considering the D1SE + H16 combo.Do post impressions on the synergy between the two.Cheers!

Will do, I'm very curious how it will turn out and if it will carry the mojo to the graveyard. Honestly I never liked the Mojo to listen to directly but when used as a DAC with the lineout it packs some punch. It does however introduce some treble glare and can sound a bit etchy at times depending on the track. I haven't listened to other separate midfi category of converters in years so I'm eager to know how much they've progressed. Also I never thought I would go all Chinese, they have come a long way.

Oct 30, 2021 at 7:07 AM Post #89 of 193
Hi guys,
I have a Gustard X16/H16 stack which I purchased roughly 6 months ago. I also have an OG Focal Clear Pro which I've had for just over 1 year.

For all the time that I've used my X16/H16 stack with my Clear....I've had my H16 amp on mid gain which has always sounded great since day one.

Out of sheer curiosity, I recently tried the H16's high gain with my Clears and.....well, ermmmm....it sounds A LOT better. I mean....we're talking almost a night and day difference here. The dynamics are absolutely insane. I seemingly hear more spacial information, giving the impression of a wider soundstage and improved imaging. The bass....THE BASS :astonished: So much more fuller sounding and punchier. Like....really punchy now.

I tried my best to volume match mid and high gain settings to make the comparison relatively fair and my conclusion appears to be that there is no comparison. My Clear Pros now sound ALIVE in high gain on the H16 and I've never heard this degree of clarity and dynamics. :thinking:

I was always hesitant before to use higher gain settings on the H16, my old Fiio K5 Pro or basically any amp because of the research I did here on Head-Fi and other outlets. I had good reason to believe this too cause, for a practical exercise, when I tried using my K5 Pro on high gain with my Phillips Fidelio X2HR headphones...imho it sounded objectively worse cause I heard distortion. Clear Pro + High Gain on H16....couldn't hear any audible distortion...just gorgeous, full range audio.

I'm guessing the Focal Clear Pros just like more juice to make it sound closer to it's full potential? 🤷‍♂️ I dunno....I'm still a noob at this bloody hobby lol maybe someone else has answers, heh

Oct 31, 2021 at 2:40 PM Post #90 of 193
With the IE 900's I also noticed a slight increase in dynamics going from low to medium gain. The noise floor remained pitch black.

Today I tried my VE5's that are pretty much a hiss magnet and can be powered by everything in low gain ofcourse, the IE900's need much more power. There is a little noise with this very sensitive ciem but I didn't notice it during playback. The dynamics however are superb, I was testing a percussion song and the speed and dynamics were breathtaking. The VE5's will be getting much more playtime again.

That was also tested after getting the D1se that in balanced mode outshined the mojo in absolutely every aspect. The H16 just went right along with it throwing a bigger and better layered soundstage, improved dynamics and a natural tonality that is addicting.

If there is one thing that I hope will improve is that with certain songs there is sibilance in the treble, as s-sounds can still be peaky, this was noticed on both my iems. I truly hope that this will improve with burning in both units since they have less than 10 hours on both of them.

I haven't listened to this much music in years honestly since I primarily bought this setup for watching movies and series but the performance is so good already that I'm going through all my albums again.

edit typo

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back