Gustard DAC-X12 SPDIF lost lock
Jun 3, 2015 at 10:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

dukja

500+ Head-Fier
I have this DAC for sometimes and it sounds great via my old Audio-GD Digital Interface feeding SPDIF through coax.  However, I noticed that it would lose lock on SPDIF at 44.1 kHz from time to time.  I cannot duplicate the issue at will but it comes and goes.  I have two DIs, one at home and one at office.  This X12 suffered the same issue with both DI, hence I suspect that it might have some issue.

The USB input to it runs fine but the sound quality is inferior to the SPDIF input from DI. I listen to it with the chain:
DI > SPDIF > X12 > Audio-GD Phoenix > HD800

and sound was very smooth and clear at high with good bass.  The stage is nice and wide with great dynamic range.  I have little to complain except the losing lock issue.

So I would like to check any X12 owner who might experience the same issue?

Jun 3, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #2 of 7
Hello, I have the X12 with the U12 interface.
I use a HDMI connection between the two boxes, and I am not using SPDIF (I assume you are talking about Coaxial).
But it happened once that the X12 lost the connection and on the display I could see the "Unlock" string.

Turns out it was due to a loose cable connection. Once the cable has been seated firmly the problem disappeared.
However I replaced that generic hdmi cable with the one from Ricable (an Italian brand). No issues since then.

So it MIGHT be a similar issue. Worth a check :)

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:49 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks a lot for the input.  I did use Coax and it was very tight connection, hence I don't think loose connection was the issue.  And I have used different coaxial cable with no difference.

I have been thinking about another USB transport such as U12 that may has I2S.  However, some impression seems to prefer DI over U12.  That was my hesitation.  And I really hate to discard my good old DI to buy another one.

So still looking for SPDIF experience....

Jun 3, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #5 of 7
Apparently not or I have not problem.  :)  and  :frowning2:

It was the older generation DI with only BNC and coax output of SPDIF.  I had one tied up with my Audio-GD Ref-7 with BNC coax. 

Jun 11, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Not much people using this DAC and I cannot resolve the issue with any post here.  So Gustard DAC-X12 is gone back for a refund.  I was glad that Massdrop offers full refund with even shipping covered.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back