Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Nov 10, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #841 of 1,032
This is definitely the last Gustard I buy
How do you put an update that if something goes wrong you are left with a doorstop and if you launch it to update it you understand absolutely nothing about what needs to be done, half cine and half incomprehensible.
Goodbye to Gustard forever. >I have had at least 4 models so far.
This is the last

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:24 AM Post #842 of 1,032
So after installation of new gustard a26 firmware for the DAC I get faint popping noises when using dsd direct thru USB and LAN. While the songs were playing I'd toggle the "dsd direct" option to enable/disable and the popping would stop. Well at this point I knew dsd direct is working at least......

But then I remembered reading here and in the roon post that we should set it to 44.1 DSD256. I had it on 48k DSD256 and sometimes even when exiting out of HQPlayer the popping would continue through the audio. Went back and changed it to 44.1 256 and all popping has stopped.

Still trying to decipher whether if there is sound difference now that dsd direct is working.
Sad part is I can't use some filters because they don't work with 44.1k.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #843 of 1,032
So after installation of new gustard a26 firmware for the DAC I get faint popping noises when using dsd direct thru USB and LAN. While the songs were playing I'd toggle the "dsd direct" option to enable/disable and the popping would stop. Well at this point I knew dsd direct is working at least......

But then I remembered reading here and in the roon post that we should set it to 44.1 DSD256. I had it on 48k DSD256 and sometimes even when exiting out of HQPlayer the popping would continue through the audio. Went back and changed it to 44.1 256 and all popping has stopped.

Still trying to decipher whether if there is sound difference now that dsd direct is working.
Sad part is I can't use some filters because they don't work with 44.1k.
This isn’t because of Gustard tho.
This is the AKM chip.

There might not be a sound difference per se, just the knowledge that your DSD is untouched and unmodulated by any internal DAC DSP.

For HQplayer any of the ASDM7EC group of modulators should be used.

Nov 10, 2023 at 5:59 AM Post #844 of 1,032
This isn’t because of Gustard tho.
This is the AKM chip.

There might not be a sound difference per se, just the knowledge that your DSD is untouched and unmodulated by any internal DAC DSP.

For HQplayer any of the ASDM7EC group of modulators should be used.

Yea I've been using ASDM7ECv3. So now its either gauss-xla or sinc-short for 1x and gauss-hires-lp or sinc-medium for Nx on DSD

Just sucks that I'm stuck with 11.2 rate because 12.3 brings the popping. Not sure if it happens with DSD128 but at this point I'd rather listen to DSD256 with limited filter options.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #845 of 1,032
At that time!
I updated the direct SACD, followed the instructions and the green bar finished the update.
I advise Gustard to continue making DACs because with streaming they are amateurs at risk
With Miniserver and direct SACD enabled it doesn't work at all, everything as before, upgrade the file on the display I think 352
Total crap, and keeps taking different IPs every time you turn it on.
Dear Gustard, the streamer is not for you.

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:06 AM Post #846 of 1,032
At that time!
I updated the direct SACD, followed the instructions and the green bar finished the update.
I advise Gustard to continue making DACs because with streaming they are amateurs at risk
With Miniserver and direct SACD enabled it doesn't work at all, everything as before, upgrade the file on the display I think 352
Dear Gustard, the streamer is not for you.
Man that sucks this is happening to you. I actually found that version 1.43 gustardrenderer shows up faster in HQPlayer when switching back and forth from USB to LAN. Version 1.42 took at least 10-15 sec of wait time before HQPlayer even picked it up on the network. So that's actually a BIG plus for me because I hated refreshing the tab just to see "Gustardrenderer1.42v"

Nov 10, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #847 of 1,032
This seems not a Gustard feature, but your DHCP server which is typically in your router.

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:29 AM Post #849 of 1,032
I forgot, the modem doesn't matter at all!
Do you know why?
Because not only the IP address changes but also the MAC ADDRESS at every start, we hope that one by one when it reaches 199 it stops
Poor people from Gustard, for the ethernet connection they better study a little more

Nov 10, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #850 of 1,032
I forgot, the modem doesn't matter at all!
Do you know why?
Because not only the IP address changes but also the MAC ADDRESS at every start, we hope that one by one when it reaches 199 it stops
Now we know for sure it is Gustard. By changing MAC address, DHCP server sees it as a different device, a new lease IP is allocated for every new MAC address. Don't worry, if available address pool is exhausted, just restart router.
:ksc75smile:

Nov 10, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #852 of 1,032
Where did you see the version for the DAC - A115_131_234?

I can see the renderer firmware version in HQPlayer.

turn power off by pressing the power button on dac.
Then, when you turn it back on, dont let go of the power button and hold it down WHILE simultaneously holding down the gear cog icon button (settings button). Leave it held down and youll see in small font "firmware xxxxxxxxx" after you see the led display A26

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #853 of 1,032
turn power off by pressing the power button on dac.
Then, when you turn it back on, dont let go of the power button and hold it down WHILE simultaneously holding down the gear cog icon button (settings button). Leave it held down and youll see in small font "firmware xxxxxxxxx" after you see the led display A26
Thank you!

Nov 16, 2023 at 1:36 AM Post #854 of 1,032
After updating the latest two firmwares, I found that with dsd direct turned on, the external clock did not work. When I unplugged my clock cable, the music continued to play. Turn off dsd direct, unplug the clock cable, and the music will stop immediately

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #855 of 1,032
After updating the latest two firmwares, I found that with dsd direct turned on, the external clock did not work. When I unplugged my clock cable, the music continued to play. Turn off dsd direct, unplug the clock cable, and the music will stop immediately
It works for me. The external clock is on, and "ext" is displayed. But if I leave the setting on external and restart the dac, with the clock off, the dac works. It must switch back to internal. I had done it by mistake. When I turn the clock back on, I see "ext" on the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back