Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jul 19, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #722 of 1,044
Good review. Did you notice a break in period ? I just moved from using a Chord 2Qute to this. Actually, this replaced three devices - Ifi Zen Streamer + Ifi USB reclocker + 2Qute. And I had to spend about $150 for each of them on a linear supply and similar amount for after market power cords. I just got sick of all these extras and bought this to clean up my rack. More over even in a day or two, I feel I can hear some details that I have not heard before (things that are way back in the soundstage). I deliberated on R2R but I am a fidelity/resolution guy so went with this.

Jul 19, 2023 at 2:35 PM Post #723 of 1,044
I was itching to try another Dac so I bought the A26. I only wanted a DAc, so I dont use the streamer function. I consider the A26 to be a mid level DAC. I would have liked a Holo May KTE, but that is 4X the price. Some guys said they liked the Denafrips Venus II 12th better, ya well thast is double the price of the A26. I dont have a small sum invested in my system and I am extremely pleased with the sound of the A26. I did already own an Innuos Phoenix which cost more the A26 (crazy right)

Jul 19, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #724 of 1,044
I was itching to try another Dac so I bought the A26. I only wanted a DAc, so I dont use the streamer function. I consider the A26 to be a mid level DAC. I would have liked a Holo May KTE, but that is 4X the price. Some guys said they liked the Denafrips Venus II 12th better, ya well thast is double the price of the A26. I dont have a small sum invested in my system and I am extremely pleased with the sound of the A26. I did already own an Innuos Phoenix which cost more the A26 (crazy right)
Well, non-audiophiles think we are all crazy. You are a bit more crazy than I am. I have a reclocker too but yours is 10-15 times my cost ..that is all :xf_cool: . Long ago, we thought the SPDIF cables introduce jitter and USB would resolve it. But no it did not. Then the focus was on I2S as it transmitted the clock signal as well. If your USB reclocker had an i2S output that would have been great. For now, I am not planning to add more supporting tweaks to my A26 except try different power cables I have and add better xlr interconnects. May be in the future I will get a streamer with i2S output or my current ifi zen + usb reclocker with i2s.

Jul 20, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #726 of 1,044
I didnt even try the stock power cord with the A26. I had Wireworld Silver Electra laying around. Seems to conduct electricity lol
The Audioquest Tornado power cable is an excellent choice for the A26, just like the Nordost Heimdall 2, both offering superb resolution and performance. i Use AQ Thunder on my amp. But need the better cable for the source components first.

Jul 20, 2023 at 2:05 PM Post #727 of 1,044
Yes, power cords and in general cables make quite a bit of difference. One of the reasons I took this nick while joining this board. I have this strategy of not spending more than 25% of the component on one cable. For eg I paid $1350 for the A26. I may not pay more $300-400 for a power cord or interconnect. Not sure, this is a good strategy, but that is how I am managing my spending. BTW, cleaning the terminations now and then seems like a good thing. Interesting, rebooting my system before a listening session helps improve the sound. Any opinions on this ?
(Also, the A26 is driving me nuts for not having any indication of whether it is playing something or idle (???))

Jul 23, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #728 of 1,044
I didnt even try the stock power cord with the A26. I had Wireworld Silver Electra laying around. Seems to conduct electricity lol
I would love to know if you can hear a difference if you swapped them!

Jul 23, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #729 of 1,044
I would love to know if you can hear a difference if you swapped them!
I am not sure if you are a cable believer. All cables make a difference. Will a cable transform a system or a component into something it is not, no. All these system tweaks/improvements have an accumulative effect. Why would I use the stock generic PC when I already had an upgraded aftermarket PC to use. You have to remember in this hobby we go to great lengths to improve and gain that last 5 or 10%...or maybe even that last 1 or 2%. A whole bunch of subtle tweaks can add up. It can make the difference between a great sounding system and an outstanding sounding system. If a person chooses not to make any improvements that is ok too. What is silly is when a person who doesnt own or hasnt tried or will not try anything, to go on to say that cant be true or that wouldnt make a difference!!!...oh ok, thanks for all your non existant or relevant experience.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #730 of 1,044
I am not sure if you are a cable believer. All cables make a difference. Will a cable transform a system or a component into something it is not, no. All these system tweaks/improvements have an accumulative effect. Why would I use the stock generic PC when I already had an upgraded aftermarket PC to use. You have to remember in this hobby we go to great lengths to improve and gain that last 5 or 10%...or maybe even that last 1 or 2%. A whole bunch of subtle tweaks can add up. It can make the difference between a great sounding system and an outstanding sounding system. If a person chooses not to make any improvements that is ok too. What is silly is when a person who doesnt own or hasnt tried or will not try anything, to go on to say that cant be true or that wouldnt make a difference!!!...oh ok, thanks for all your non existant or relevant experience.
I agree cables won't transform a system from a bad to good, but (hope this isn't bragging, it's not my intention) running all silver cables, especially XLR interconnects has transformed my stereo room from very good to (in my humble opinion) mind blowing. Did I want to pay $480 (on sale, from regular price of $600) for half meter long interconnects? Hell no. Am I glad I did? Hell yes. And I do agree that power cables, DDC, external clock and fuses, etc all contribute to the final result

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 8:08 PM Post #731 of 1,044
I believe basically everything makes a difference. But if the difference is imperceptible then that’s money that could be spent on something else. Correct me if I’m wrong you seem to be saying that you probably cannot hear the difference but multiple individually imperceptible changes can add up to a greater effect.

Jul 23, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #732 of 1,044
I believe basically everything makes a difference. But if the difference is imperceptible then that’s money that could be spent on something else. Correct me if I’m wrong you seem to be saying that you probably cannot hear the difference but multiple individually imperceptible changes can add up to a greater effect.
No, what I am saying is you are perfectly welcome to use generic power cords. You just dont need to come here and preach your agenda.

Jul 24, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #733 of 1,044
No, what I am saying is you are perfectly welcome to use generic power cords. You just dont need to come here and preach your agenda.
I literally just asked if you can hear the difference. I’ll assume no. Why so salty?

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #734 of 1,044
I literally just asked if you can hear the difference. I’ll assume no. Why so salty?
Well.. honestly it is a bit annoying for many of us, who promptly throw away the stock cords and use current/new aftermarket cables. Please note, I am a CS and EE Major and know the scientific basis behind this. I have learnt a lot (years ago) from Steve Nugent (of Empirical Audio), Chris (of VHAudio) and the share from Zu guys on the software they use for designing their cables (Maxwell 3D, I think).

Jul 24, 2023 at 12:59 PM Post #735 of 1,044
I agree cables won't transform a system from a bad to good, but (hope this isn't bragging, it's not my intention) running all silver cables, especially XLR interconnects has transformed my stereo room from very good to (in my humble opinion) mind blowing. Did I want to pay $480 (on sale, from regular price of $600) for half meter long interconnects? Hell no. Am I glad I did? Hell yes. And I do agree that power cables, DDC, external clock and fuses, etc all contribute to the final result
Please share the brand name of these silver cables

Users who are viewing this thread

Back