Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jul 4, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #707 of 1,056
I was thinking if I go DDC I might try Singxer SU-6 and LHY OCK-2 and I2S to A26. I think for now I will enjoy the Phoenix and A26
I’ve been down that road with the R-26 including the A-26 , borrowed a LHY OCK 2 and a Denefrips Gaia DDC , most definitely that extra money spent would be better used on a better dac , the reality their retail price both Gustards can only do so much.

Jul 4, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #708 of 1,056
I have left it play since hookup so I am approaching the 100 hour mark. I would say it opened up quite a bit after about a day. Anyways I think the A26 is a fabulous DAC for the money and just period.
That's interesting, I think I noticed this too. At first, I was pleased with the sound but a little unimpressed. Thought the sound became a bit richer over the next few days.

Jul 4, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #709 of 1,056
I was thinking if I go DDC I might try Singxer SU-6 and LHY OCK-2 and I2S to A26. I think for now I will enjoy the Phoenix and A26
The Gustard U18 is a great DDC for the money. And you can really up the SQ with getting a good fuse like a SR Purple for the A and for the DDC if you wind up getting one. Combine that with an LHY clock with good cables and it will sound so awesome.

Jul 4, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #710 of 1,056
The Gustard U18 is a great DDC for the money. And you can really up the SQ with getting a good fuse like a SR Purple for the A and for the DDC if you wind up getting one. Combine that with an LHY clock with good cables and it will sound so awesome.
I'm extremely pleased with my current setup. Gustard C18/U18/A22 (using i2s) with purple fuses in all three. A22 set to full volume and connected to a separate preamp (Violectric V281) with silver XLR cables. Not saying I'll never upgrade but definitely not in any hurry

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:55 PM Post #711 of 1,056
I’ve been down that road with the R-26 including the A-26 , borrowed a LHY OCK 2 and a Denefrips Gaia DDC , most definitely that extra money spent would be better used on a better dac , the reality their retail price both Gustards can only do so much.
Ya I know what you mean. If you bought an expensive clock and expensive DDC, maybe just get a May KTE. To be honest though I am really surprised how good the A26 does sound for the money and with the Phoenix I am quite pleased. I think I can enjoy it for awhile.

Jul 4, 2023 at 8:59 PM Post #712 of 1,056
I'm extremely pleased with my current setup. Gustard C18/U18/A22 (using i2s) with purple fuses in all three. A22 set to full volume and connected to a separate preamp (Violectric V281) with silver XLR cables. Not saying I'll never upgrade but definitely not in any hurry
I wonder how the C18 compares to the LHY OCK-2 or how the U18 compares to the Singxer SU-6

Jul 5, 2023 at 8:04 AM Post #713 of 1,056
Ya I know what you mean. If you bought an expensive clock and expensive DDC, maybe just get a May KTE. To be honest though I am really surprised how good the A26 does sound for the money and with the Phoenix I am quite pleased. I think I can enjoy it for awhile.
You don’t have to go to a May KTE to realize differences in quality playback though I certainly agree Gustard have produced a pair of fabulous dacs for the money. However placed in a resolving and revealing system such as Magico S5 speakers with subs and Boulder amplifiers ,I find really spectacular with spatial cues staging with spectacular tonality and timbre we had several front end sources including dacs . I brought over the Musician Audio Aquarius including the Gustard A-26 and R-26 the best environment was created giving each of them time to settle into the system the three did not last long in the comparisons adding clocks and DDCs you could very well spend that extra money on a better dac even at 3K even in my own entry level speaker system the differences are there .

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:17 PM Post #714 of 1,056
You don’t have to go to a May KTE to realize differences in quality playback though I certainly agree Gustard have produced a pair of fabulous dacs for the money. However placed in a resolving and revealing system such as Magico S5 speakers with subs and Boulder amplifiers ,I find really spectacular with spatial cues staging with spectacular tonality and timbre we had several front end sources including dacs . I brought over the Musician Audio Aquarius including the Gustard A-26 and R-26 the best environment was created giving each of them time to settle into the system the three did not last long in the comparisons adding clocks and DDCs you could very well spend that extra money on a better dac even at 3K even in my own entry level speaker system the differences are there .
I think the Gustards punch well above their price point. The one reviewer called the R26 the best under $3500 DAC and he preferred the R26 to the Aquarius. That last 10% really costs you. Oh the same reviewer put the A26 a notch behind the Dave and it should be a notch behind as the A26 is only about about a 10th the price of a Dave.. My Innuos Phoenix helps just about any DAC including the Dave. The Phoenix I am sure does wonders to the A26, but it better do something as it cost a fair bit more than the A26 (crazy I know). I may try a clock yet nothing crazy like the Mutec Ref 10 SE. Hell the Gustard C18 almost seems kinda at almost the price of the A26...it better bring something to the table. When you talk crazy that pretty much describes our audio hobby. I have probably over $25 K into all my crap, now I know that is a drop in the bucket for some, but to others it would be enough to have me certified lol

Jul 5, 2023 at 9:30 PM Post #715 of 1,056
I have probably over $25 K into all my crap, now I know that is a drop in the bucket for some, but to others it would be enough to have me certified lol
If you don't want family members to have you committed, don't buy $200 fuses that look identical to the ones you get at the auto parts store for 35 cents

Jul 6, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #717 of 1,056
too late...they are fitting me for a jacket and rubber room as we speak. I dont have any purple fuses, but I have tried HiFi tuning Supremes
If you end up liking the jacket and rubber room, you could always coat your fuses with $190 per 2ml bottle of Furutech Nano Silver/Gold Liquid if they threaten to make you leave. Should get you another 2 years, minimum

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2023 at 6:40 AM Post #718 of 1,056
I think the Gustards punch well above their price point. The one reviewer called the R26 the best under $3500 DAC and he preferred the R26 to the Aquarius. That last 10% really costs you. Oh the same reviewer put the A26 a notch behind the Dave and it should be a notch behind as the A26 is only about about a 10th the price of a Dave.. My Innuos Phoenix helps just about any DAC including the Dave. The Phoenix I am sure does wonders to the A26, but it better do something as it cost a fair bit more than the A26 (crazy I know). I may try a clock yet nothing crazy like the Mutec Ref 10 SE. Hell the Gustard C18 almost seems kinda at almost the price of the A26...it better bring something to the table. When you talk crazy that pretty much describes our audio hobby. I have probably over $25 K into all my crap, now I know that is a drop in the bucket for some, but to others it would be enough to have me certified lol
There is no better substitute than actually listening to said components in your own familiar system and if there’s any lingering doubt listen to it in a completely different system . I read some of the reviews also crowning dacs as giant killers so I bought them to listen for myself for me it’s comes down to overall musicality how fast does it connect to my senses for me currently a Denafrips Venus 2-12 does that very well , it’s very natural sounding across the board more so then either of the Gustards with DDC and clock added however the Denafrips is colored though in a nice way if that makes sense .
One of a few recorded references I use are studio outtakes of my wife a studio vocalist the more realistic she sounds to me usually is a good indicator most everything else will be produced well out of your headphones and speakers , musicality is there and you’ll know it when you hear it whether it’s out of a modest system like my or a expensive well thought out system I tried Denafrips in and the Gustards , the Gustards are a fabulous bang for buck dacs it’ll boil down to biases and tastes that’s all .

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #719 of 1,056
It's finally here!

First impressions are very good, getting more a more punchy sound than my Qutest and the brass instruments in jazz music seem closer and more intimate but also more energetic.

Qutest sounds a bit deeper and more relaxed but so far I must admit the A26 is more to my taste but only time will tell which on I'm keeping.

Hope it gets ever better with some run time!

20230206_190932.jpg20230207_001739.jpg
How have you felt about this now that more time has passed?

Jul 9, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #720 of 1,056
I just wanted to say I experimented with the LAN input. This was new to me because I only played local files via USB and Foobar 2K to my DACs (now A26). Anyways I was doing some reading and discovered Foobar has a plugin called upnp mediarenderer. Any renderers will show up as ouputs for Foobar. So I tried the LAN gustarender V1.42, it worked no problem and sounded good. I still think the USB with my Innuos Phoenix sounds better though. To be fair the A26 isnt hooked with a fancy LAN cable and network switch.

Maybe this isnt a question for this thread, but anyways in Foobar with the Asio DSD Transcoder (DOP/Native) out put when you click on it to adjust parameters. There are 2 boxes one for transition (ms) and trace output, what should these be set to. There is also 2 check boxes that arent checked sample position overide and async mode...I left these unchecked. I think the DSD Transcoder might sound a little better (or just different, maybe a little warmer meatier) than Gustard USB Audio Device driver.

I am using Gustard USB driver V5.0 for windows 11 and there is a Gustard Universal USB driver V5.57...should I upgrade??? is it necessary??? (if it isnt broken, dont fix it)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back