Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2023 at 7:17 PM Post #691 of 1,044
So I got a ethernet cable that isn't 5+ years old and wanted to give the LAN input some more runs. The LAN input works fine when I use HQPlayer in Roon, but if I try to convert to DSD only using Roon or Audirvana they crap the bed. Audirvana just hangs until I swap inputs on the A26.

Also when using HQPlayer with LAN I have no problems streaming DSD512, but on Audirvana the upsampling will only do 192pcm on LAN or DSD128. Is there something I need to configure with the LAN input? I would imagine not since its flawless on HQPlayer. For what its worth Im just running the LAN input off a normal router. PCM seems to work on Roon/Audirvana just fine on LAN, its only when using them to convert to DSD without HQPlayer that it hangs.

EDIT: Fixed the issue with Roon converting to DSD on its own. Also I fixed my stuttering on LAN/HQplayer by turning off CUDA offload in HQPlayer.

EDIT 2: Unfortunately the HQPlayer/Lan dropouts came back even with Cuda offload disabled. This time I replaced the ethernet cable going from the router to the PC. Originally was a very long and slightly kinked cat6 cable, replaced it with a shorter 10ft cat7 cable and seems to be stable again. Even with cuda offload turned on.

Last edited:
Jun 13, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #692 of 1,044
So, I just picked up a B&W Zeppelin for my girlfriend. Before I give it to her, I've been playing around with it. The app is really nice. Has Tidal and Qobuz connect. Works great!

Why can't Gustard add an interface for the A26? I hate the bubble upnp app. HATE IT! I'd love to use the LAN connection (that still drops out) with an interface similar to the B&W speaker.

Wish in one hand and crap in the other...

Jun 15, 2023 at 6:16 AM Post #693 of 1,044
Dear Gustard A26 forum members
I am writing to seek assistance regarding the streaming of Tidal in bit-perfect quality via LAN to my recently acquired Gustard A26 DAC. Having thoroughly examined the user manual, I was unable to find explicit instructions on how to configure this setup. Moreover, I currently do not possess Roon and would prefer not to invest in it.

I would greatly appreciate any guidance or insights you can provide regarding achieving bit-perfect streaming from Tidal to the A26 DAC via LAN. Are there any dedicated streaming apps available for the A26 that are compatible with Tidal? Alternatively, I would be grateful for instructions on leveraging the built-in streamer within the A26 to stream both my locally stored music from my PC and Tidal in bit-perfect quality via LAN.

Thank you in advance for your attention and support. I eagerly look forward to your responses and insights.

Ambrus

Jun 18, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #694 of 1,044
Happy fathers day...I have been thinking about another DAC for a while now. I was thinking Holo May KTE or Terminator Plus, but dont want to spend that kind of money now. I like the Musetec MH-DA005 too. The two that really intrigue me, especially at their prospective price points are Gustard A26 & R26. Now I like detail and soundstage so making a decision for A26 or R26 is a tuff choice. Coming from the 9038s in the Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 deluxe I am kinda leaning towards the A26. I also like the looks and a couple of the features of the A26. I am sure I could live with either, but I am not sure if the R26 would do it for me. I also use the Innuos Phoenix USB enhanser/decrapifier so I am not sure how the would play with the Gustards. ....or would the Gustards not really be a big jump in performance???

Jun 18, 2023 at 3:08 PM Post #695 of 1,044
Happy fathers day...I have been thinking about another DAC for a while now. I was thinking Holo May KTE or Terminator Plus, but dont want to spend that kind of money now. I like the Musetec MH-DA005 too. The two that really intrigue me, especially at their prospective price points are Gustard A26 & R26. Now I like detail and soundstage so making a decision for A26 or R26 is a tuff choice. Coming from the 9038s in the Musical Paradise MP-D2 MK3 deluxe I am kinda leaning towards the A26. I also like the looks and a couple of the features of the A26. I am sure I could live with either, but I am not sure if the R26 would do it for me. I also use the Innuos Phoenix USB enhanser/decrapifier so I am not sure how the would play with the Gustards. ....or would the Gustards not really be a big jump in performance???

I enjoy trying out a verity of components I’ve been through at least a dozen dacs in the past year I owned the R-26 including the A-26 both fabulous bang for buck dacs and both will scale up well though I have experienced their performance ceilings in a friends system I sometimes ask to fart around with , Magico speakers with subs , Boulder integrate , Innuos Statement server , Playback design dac , sure ridiculous however results are revealing . I enjoyed my time with both Gustard dacs , something you just have to try out in your own system .

Jun 18, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #696 of 1,044
Thanks for the reply. My preamp is a Primaluna Evo 400 (NOS tubes), amps are Classe CA-M600, and speakers are Paradigm Signature S8s. I do listen to alot of female vocals, acoustic, classic rock, 90s, 2000s, folk, new rock/pop. A26 or R26 is still a tuff decision. Everyone wants a world class DAC for a couple grand. You are probably right about trying either Gustard in my system. I do realize they may have a performance limitation, but I think either A26 or R26 will fit the bill for now. I may have to try both, but I think I will most likely get the A26 first.

Jun 18, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #697 of 1,044
I’ve given up on the A26 following progressive failure of the streamer and a near-complete lack of support by Gustard. In fact, the streamer side of this DAC appears to be a cheapskate afterthought to and otherwise good piece of kit. No more Gustard for me - it’s gone back and been refunded by Amazon.

Jun 19, 2023 at 3:04 AM Post #699 of 1,044
My experience is completely different with the A26. After loading the latest firmware update I no longer have streamer problems. But the important thing is to have an excellent internet line, at least 200 mb real download. I have Tim fiber from 1gb, but in wifi I reach 200 mb with Deco x50, Supra cat 8 cables and the signal is strong and clean and I can do upsampling with Roon and Qobuz up to dsd512 without interruptions. I also have a really good raspberry based streamer but I find the sound of the A26's internal streamer to be better.
1687158263555.jpeg

Jun 19, 2023 at 6:02 AM Post #700 of 1,044
Thanks for the reply. My preamp is a Primaluna Evo 400 (NOS tubes), amps are Classe CA-M600, and speakers are Paradigm Signature S8s. I do listen to alot of female vocals, acoustic, classic rock, 90s, 2000s, folk, new rock/pop. A26 or R26 is still a tuff decision. Everyone wants a world class DAC for a couple grand. You are probably right about trying either Gustard in my system. I do realize they may have a performance limitation, but I think either A26 or R26 will fit the bill for now. I may have to try both, but I think I will most likely get the A26 first.
Our tastes in music are similar I first listen how well the human pitch and tone are represented everything else is secondary though usually if said dac or whatever component does well in this area most everything else is well produced, at least that’s my experience. My office speaker system is entry level I don’t normally use it to listen critically though it’s very enjoyable it‘s mostly on as background noise during my work day having a young family it’s the only way I could ever listen to music 7 hours a day during the week and get away with it.
Having the Gustard R-26 first then the A-26 I did prefer the A-26 i found timbre to be a little better ,well produced Jazz recordings horn instruments in particular stood out something like Pink Floyd Pulse even listening to Chesky’s fabulous recording of Mozart’s Ave Verum for example the sub bass is really quite spectacular however compared to a couple other dacs I had the R-26 and A-26 are OK .
The two best dacs I’ve have so far that we’re the Holo May KTE and Mearson dac 1 musicality wise the tone, timbre human pitch especially with female voice and vocals I found were more true to life and beautifully reproduced , very seductive.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 6:11 AM Post #701 of 1,044
My experience is completely different with the A26. After loading the latest firmware update I no longer have streamer problems. But the important thing is to have an excellent internet line, at least 200 mb real download. I have Tim fiber from 1gb, but in wifi I reach 200 mb with Deco x50, Supra cat 8 cables and the signal is strong and clean and I can do upsampling with Roon and Qobuz up to dsd512 without interruptions. I also have a really good raspberry based streamer but I find the sound of the A26's internal streamer to be better.
I agree though what’s coming into your house and how you have it set up is can be a bottleneck , our internet provider were slow at updating noise riding in was a problem though things have been updated I stream little of my music , another issue is the quality of the source I had a demonstration of Roon and Innuos Sense the Innuos Sense was clearly better sounding then Roon .

I would like to add further to my point VS streaming for those using HQplayer a good example why Jussy of HQplayer used a SACD transport running the signal through his software however this may have changed , others like myself find better sound quality with local ripped library then streaming , the source feeding your dac is just as important .

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2023 at 6:22 AM Post #702 of 1,044
Purtroppo ancora i problemi con lo streaming non sono stati completamente risolti, Roon non usa UPNP e quindi sembra andare bene, ma se si utilizza Foobar 2000 o Miniserver in streaming UPNP con file DFF o DSF il Gustard A26 non è visto come un DAC in grado di ricevere questi file e vengono convertiti prima di essere inviati a PCM

Jun 19, 2023 at 9:12 PM Post #703 of 1,044
Do not confuse the firmware system (menu, display, etc) and the streamer update (Gustarender 1.4.2).
For streamer update, this is the correct procedure. For my part, I start the recognition of the SD card of the A26 and then I use Balena Eitcher to write the update.
When you did the update on the SD card, how did you format the SD card? or what format was the SD card in that allows it to function with the gustarender?

Jul 4, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #704 of 1,044
Hi, I ended up ordering the A26 from Aoshida on Amazon. Shipping was super duper fast. They shipped from China on Tuesday and I had it Friday. I had it up and running pretty fast. I just had to install a driver for Windows 11. I have left it play since hookup so I am approaching the 100 hour mark. I would say it opened up quite a bit after about a day. Anyways I think the A26 is a fabulous DAC for the money and just period.

I put a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord on it and HT Magic Link II xlrs out. Now I read USB isnt the best into the A26, but thats what I am using. I already owned an Innuos Phoenix so as if I wasnt going to use it. So I am not sure what the Phoenix brings to the table, I assume quite alot as it is probably still the best USB decrapifier (and most expensive) out there. Its kinda crazy to think the Phoenix costs more than A26. It would be interesting to compare a good clock and DDC to the Phoenix.

Jul 4, 2023 at 10:03 AM Post #705 of 1,044
Hi, I ended up ordering the A26 from Aoshida on Amazon. Shipping was super duper fast. They shipped from China on Tuesday and I had it Friday. I had it up and running pretty fast. I just had to install a driver for Windows 11. I have left it play since hookup so I am approaching the 100 hour mark. I would say it opened up quite a bit after about a day. Anyways I think the A26 is a fabulous DAC for the money and just period.

I put a Wireworld Silver Electra power cord on it and HT Magic Link II xlrs out. Now I read USB isnt the best into the A26, but thats what I am using. I already owned an Innuos Phoenix so as if I wasnt going to use it. So I am not sure what the Phoenix brings to the table, I assume quite alot as it is probably still the best USB decrapifier (and most expensive) out there. Its kinda crazy to think the Phoenix costs more than A26. It would be interesting to compare a good clock and DDC to the Phoenix.
i use matrix audio spdif 2 ddc using usb to ddc and i2s (hdmi) cable to gustard . i think it is almost or as good as lan input

Users who are viewing this thread

Back