Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 4, 2023 at 7:22 PM Post #302 of 996
Toss a (fair) coin. Heads = R26. Tails = A26. I am on the verge of doing just that. :smile_phones:
Why not both? A26/R26 stack, silver and black.
In my case A26/R26/P26!

Feb 4, 2023 at 7:41 PM Post #304 of 996
I am trying to cut down.
keep one in the storage drawers... that's what I do :)

edit: to add something to the discussion; have been silently following this thread since Sandu's youtube review (SoundNews) - one notch below Chord Dave? Really?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2023 at 9:57 PM Post #305 of 996

edit: to add something to the discussion; have been silently following this thread since Sandu's youtube review (SoundNews) - one notch below Chord Dave? Really?
I've plumb run outta storage drawers.
I am also looking at the Audio GD R2R R1 . . .

Feb 5, 2023 at 3:33 AM Post #306 of 996
Toss a (fair) coin. Heads = R26. Tails = A26. I am on the verge of doing just that. :smile_phones:
I am with you here.

Just my 2cents :
- If you are also playing DSD, go for A26.
- if you are only playing PCM (like me), then tossing a coin might be the most scientific decision making process.

Another axis of analysis (if my understanding is correct) :
- if you are mostly listening to slamming metal, or booming rap, go for A26
- If you are mostly listening to ambient, chill music, acoustic, go for R26
- if you are mostly listening to average pop music, it doesn’t matter, anything will do.

I also read here and there “A26, close to DAVE”, but the same reviewers also say “but R26 has something magical (and a wow effect) that A26 does not have”.

So, yeah… flipping a coin, good idea Indeed.

This whole thing is also made more complicated by the fact that some people commenting about R26 are actually not using the R2R ladder, as they are feeding R26 with HQPlayer highly oversampled DSD files (and DSD=ON on R26).
So, if you intend to use the R2R ladder, all the comments by DSD lovers will not help making a relevant decision.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023 at 3:36 AM Post #307 of 996

I really wouldn't be surprised if the Dave is only a couple of percentage points better than the A26 as there are no compromises to the internal layout of the unit being built with the highest quality components.

The bang per buck factor is also one of the highest you will find in this market so if it were made in the EU or the States it would have probably cost upwards of 5000$.

A Dave would have been my endgame DAC but I cant' afford it even used at the moment so if this approaches it for a fraction of the price, that would be good enough for me at least for the time being.

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:11 PM Post #308 of 996
I think at some point I will go with the A26. I'm not in a big hurry because my A22 is serving me very well for now. I've decided I will wait until it goes on sale again. Can I ask you guys if you see a Gustard sale please comment about it here. I'll do the same thing if I see it first

Feb 5, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #309 of 996
Feb 5, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #312 of 996
Note that the Audiophonics price excludes VAT.
Their price is €1,249,17 VAT excluded.
€1,499 is with French VAT included.
If you order for a delivery to a foreign country, they won't apply to you the French VAT.

Feb 5, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #313 of 996
Their price is €1,249,17 VAT excluded.
€1,499 is with French VAT included.
If you order for a delivery to a foreign country, they won't apply to you the French VAT.
Audiofonics seem very good to deal with. I actually ordered from Amazon UK (slighly more expensive as I'd probably have been caught for the VAT anyway, but a one month return policy and I don't have to worry about dealing with the utter drivelling insanity of Brexit and however UK customs choose to deal with an import this week).

Feb 6, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #315 of 996
It seems lots of European Head-Fi members are trusting this vendor in Germany :
clear-component.de

Screenshot 2023-02-06 at 14.08.36.png

This price is including VAT (Value Added Tax, the European Tax, 21%)
This means 1150,82 € excluding tax.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back