Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Feb 1, 2023 at 7:12 PM Post #287 of 996
You can't have your cake and eat it too!

Best advice I could give is that you can always increase bass quantity with digital EQ, however bass slam/dynamics is not something you can tweak to your heart's content so go for the A26.
Good point. The Enleum I have has good punch/slam/tightness and just a hint of bass emphasis, so probably good either way honestly.

Feb 2, 2023 at 9:20 AM Post #288 of 996
As it is necessary to know sometimes to pass to the action... order on the way for the A26 whereas with a new USB cable, an optimized ZenStream and a Pegasus in great shape, I am with the angels.
So test over 15 days and then validate ... or go back to the current system. But in the meantime, I'm going to look into all possibilities of using HQPlayer with the internal streamer. :relaxed:

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 11:19 AM Post #289 of 996
I agree but to me very quick, articulate and refined bass is just as important as the overall output. I'm hoping the A26 excels in that area
It should as a reply from Sandu to me on his site was that the A26 sounds closer to the X26Pro which is known for tight, articulate, and refined yet punchy bass. This is one area where the A is somewhat better than the R.

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #290 of 996
Does this use the same fuse as the x26 pro? My x26 crapped out so had to send it back for repairs/replacement. Ordered this to give it a try and would stick in a purple fuse if they use the same one.

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #291 of 996
A26 ordered and on the way to me. Pretty excited how it will stand against my wadia/aurender combi.
Gustard do not have a own App? How do you use it with Qobuz? No Roon 😎

Feb 3, 2023 at 9:49 AM Post #292 of 996
Gustard do not have a own App? How do you use it with Qobuz? No Roon 😎
From a UPNP application or with HQplayer, which is much better but requires an HQPlayer server and a licence.
After if it's just to stream without changing anything... BubbleUPNP from your smartphone.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #293 of 996
From a UPNP application or with HQplayer, which is much better but requires an HQPlayer server and a licence.
After if it's just to stream without changing anything... BubbleUPNP from your smartphone.
Thanks. Have to get a new computer first for HQ. But mcconnect should work with my ipad pro.

Feb 3, 2023 at 10:42 AM Post #294 of 996
Does this use the same fuse as the x26 pro? My x26 crapped out so had to send it back for repairs/replacement. Ordered this to give it a try and would stick in a purple fuse if they use the same one.
Do you have the X26 or the X26Pro? If the Pro, I'm curious as to what happened with it and what was the return process like?

As far as the fuse goes for the A, a quick Google shows the X26Pro and the R26 use the same fuse. Based on the fact the A26 is so similar in design to the X and R, you can bet it uses the same fuse. Gustard's customer support seems pretty responsive to email you could contact them for a definitive answer. Purple fuses rock!!

Feb 3, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #295 of 996
Do you have the X26 or the X26Pro? If the Pro, I'm curious as to what happened with it and what was the return process like?

As far as the fuse goes for the A, a quick Google shows the X26Pro and the R26 use the same fuse. Based on the fact the A26 is so similar in design to the X and R, you can bet it uses the same fuse. Gustard's customer support seems pretty responsive to email you could contact them for a definitive answer. Purple fuses rock!!
Not sure what exactly happened with it, it just randomly made a very loud pop and the right channel stopped working. Though after going direct to speakers with it since hifigo wanted a video of the issue, the right channel was still working though at a drastically reduced volume. I sent the x26 pro back to them and from what they said theyre sending it to gustard to either fix or just replace. I really doubt the purple fuse was the culprit of it so looking to put it in the A26 when it arrives since it made a nice difference to the x26 pro.

Feb 4, 2023 at 3:41 AM Post #297 of 996
I haven't used BubbleUPNP for a while (no need in my usage) but the gapless is handled by the renderer (the player that decodes in upnp).
If I try on my smartphone (local player), the gapless works.

Feb 4, 2023 at 8:28 AM Post #298 of 996
Not sure what exactly happened with it, it just randomly made a very loud pop and the right channel stopped working. Though after going direct to speakers with it since hifigo wanted a video of the issue, the right channel was still working though at a drastically reduced volume. I sent the x26 pro back to them and from what they said theyre sending it to gustard to either fix or just replace. I really doubt the purple fuse was the culprit of it so looking to put it in the A26 when it arrives since it made a nice difference to the x26 pro.
Interesting. Similar situation here. I have a U18 externally clocked with a OCK-1 feeding my X26Pro via I2S and a couple of times recently I have lost my right channel just as you described. A pop and then right channel was gone. Like yours, mine wasn't totally gone as i could hear it very slightly if I went up to the speaker. But at my listening position it sounded like it was dead. The DAC was fine if I used USB or optical inputs so I knew the DAC right channel was ok. Troubleshooting found pulling the power cord out of the U18 and re-powering it resolved the problem both times. I have a couple of posts about this in the U18 thread.

Feb 4, 2023 at 1:53 PM Post #299 of 996
Interesting. Similar situation here. I have a U18 externally clocked with a OCK-1 feeding my X26Pro via I2S and a couple of times recently I have lost my right channel just as you described. A pop and then right channel was gone. Like yours, mine wasn't totally gone as i could hear it very slightly if I went up to the speaker. But at my listening position it sounded like it was dead. The DAC was fine if I used USB or optical inputs so I knew the DAC right channel was ok. Troubleshooting found pulling the power cord out of the U18 and re-powering it resolved the problem both times. I have a couple of posts about this in the U18 thread.
Thats interesting you were able to fix it. I don't remember off the top of my head if I tried power cycling it that way or not. Still wish it never happened as it's honestly the best d/s dac I've heard and made me come to terms with preferring the extra detail/resolution d/s has over r2r. Though if I do end up liking the A26 more I'll just put the x26 up for sale at a very reduced price noting it was repaired. Doubt it'll sell since I'm going to be open about it being repaired but never know. With what people are saying about the A26 it seems like it'll be slight improvements across most of the board compared to the 26pro.

I used to think D/S dacs just sucked, but when the chips are given good components to drive them like Gustard does and Singxer with their SDA-6 you see what they can really do. The cheaper dacs don't do them justice, same as the cheap r2r dacs not doing r2r justice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back