Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #271 of 996
I currently own a Chord Qutest and have purchased an A26 because although the Qutest sounded great, it lacked that bass slam that makes music enjoyable for me so hopefully I will find the Gustard better in that department.

Almost certain there is more bang per buck with Chi-fi but will let you know when I receive my unit.
Looking forward to your experience!

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:13 AM Post #273 of 996
so… I’ve compared a26 to r26, and holo spring 3, to me and my audio buds … we feel the r26 edges out the a26…. Not by much…. And the Holo spring 3 is a little better than the r26. These dacs definitely punch above there weight class. Next up im going for the octo 8 dac
Please elaborate with specifics . . . :beerchug:

Feb 1, 2023 at 7:56 AM Post #274 of 996
so… I’ve compared a26 to r26, and holo spring 3, to me and my audio buds … we feel the r26 edges out the a26…. Not by much…. And the Holo spring 3 is a little better than the r26. These dacs definitely punch above there weight class. Next up im going for the octo 8 dac
As the Spring does not accept an external clock, I assume you did not use one for the other two DACs?

Feb 1, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #275 of 996
I think the difference comes down to personal tastes/preferences as Sandu at soundnews.net has the A edging out the R in his in depth review. The A does some things better than the R and the R does some things better than A. Can't go wrong with either I'd say.

Feb 1, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #276 of 996
I'm mainly curious which version is a better fit for Susvara, knowing that it is very transparent just a tad bass shy. Sandu said the R26 was warmer but also that the A26 had more bass punch...

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #277 of 996
As A26 does not have inbuilt bluetooth, can someone plase tell, how usefull is the bluetooth in R26 and how does it sound with that. Can that feature be ignored or its a good to have feature. Thank you.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #278 of 996
I'm mainly curious which version is a better fit for Susvara, knowing that it is very transparent just a tad bass shy. Sandu said the R26 was warmer but also that the A26 had more bass punch...
I'd say the R26 with its larger soundstage and more holographic presentation would play on the strengths of your Susvara.

If you want more of the same sound signature I'd say go for the R26 but if you find it decent in that department, maybe the A26 would be the better choice. Sandu's review made me purchase my A26.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:51 PM Post #279 of 996
As A26 does not have inbuilt bluetooth, can someone plase tell, how usefull is the bluetooth in R26 and how does it sound with that. Can that feature be ignored or its a good to have feature. Thank you.
My X26Pro has BT. Convenient, yes for connecting a cell phone or whatever. But it's the lowest quality signal you can feed a DAC with. Handy but pretty much useless for most audiophiles. I used it once to try it but see no compelling need to use it.

Feb 1, 2023 at 12:56 PM Post #280 of 996
My X26Pro has BT. Convenient, yes for connecting a cell phone or whatever. But it's the lowest quality signal you can feed a DAC with. Handy but pretty much useless for most audiophiles. I used it once to try it but see no compelling need to use it.
Thank you for sharing, got my answer. I think no use if BT then. Anyways both have inbuilt streamer which is great. Just need to figure out now if I should buy R26 or A26 for HE1000V2 :)

Feb 1, 2023 at 4:13 PM Post #281 of 996
I'd say the R26 with its larger soundstage and more holographic presentation would play on the strengths of your Susvara.

If you want more of the same sound signature I'd say go for the R26 but if you find it decent in that department, maybe the A26 would be the better choice. Sandu's review made me purchase my A26.
I would want whichever one adds more bass / mid-bass oomph.

Feb 1, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #284 of 996
It is my understanding that the R26 will give you more bass quantity but the A26 will have more bass slam/impact and control.
what if i want both?! :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back