Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 26, 2023 at 4:19 AM Post #256 of 996
Interesting explanation about R2R vs DS by Paul McGowan, founder of PS Audio.

It is a short 8 min clip.
It takes Paul a few minutes before he really enters the subject though,
but after that it becomes really interesting :

It has been online for 6 months - sorry if this has already brought here.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2023 at 7:55 AM Post #257 of 996
Interesting explanation about R2R vs DS by Paul Mc Gowan, founder of PS Audio.

It is a short 8 min clip.
It takes Paul a few minutes before he really enters the subject though,
but after that it becomes really interesting :

It has been online for 6 months - sorry if this has already brought here.

Have a nice day.

Good informative video.
As per Paul's "being worked upon" theory, DSD sounds "better" on DSD DACs because last part conversion of DSD to PCM is avoided. Now this better is subjective term and may vary person to person, as is being observed from conversations above. Also would DSD->PCM conversion really make an audible impact SQ wise?

Anyways, apart from what type of DACs are better for what kind of format, this video bring two lateral concerns for me:
1. R2R DACS having more than 20 bits seems physical impossibility, at least for now. Should I be worried here as part of future proofing myself?
2. What are the chances of one resistor going corrupt out of hundreds of those precise resistors in the ladder bringing whole DAC to halt? As compared to any component going corrupt within a chip in DS DAC? From longevity point of view, are both type of DACs comparable?

Jan 26, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #258 of 996
1. R2R DACS having more than 20 bits seems physical impossibility, at least for now. Should I be worried here as part of future proofing myself?
2. What are the chances of one resistor going corrupt out of hundreds of those precise resistors in the ladder bringing whole DAC to halt? As compared to any component going corrupt within a chip in DS DAC? From longevity point of view, are both type of DACs comparable?
Just like you I am a bit puzzle by point 1 (how many bits can R26 really handle with relevant precision).
I have no answer to propose.

Jan 26, 2023 at 6:02 PM Post #259 of 996
I've had the same concerns about diagnosing/repairing a failed resistor in an R2R dac. Someone on this forum said it's nothing to worry about, but further discussion isn't a bad idea

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:18 AM Post #261 of 996
I've had the same concerns about diagnosing/repairing a failed resistor in an R2R dac. Someone on this forum said it's nothing to worry about, but further discussion isn't a bad idea
Resistors are the more resilient electronic components and are very unlikely to fail unless large amounts of current passes through them at which point they act as a fuse but I don't see that happening in a R2R DAC so not an area of concern IMO.

Jan 27, 2023 at 7:32 AM Post #262 of 996
Resistors are the more resilient electronic components and are very unlikely to fail unless large amounts of current passes through them at which point they act as a fuse but I don't see that happening in a R2R DAC so not an area of concern IMO.
I wouldn't worry about resistors failure, but there are common faults in soldering joints that start to deteriorate over a time. Audio DG use silver solder for their DA-8/DA-7 R2R modules. These are not ROHS compliant as contain lead, but legislators put their blind eye on this.
:)

Jan 27, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #263 of 996
Does anybody know if the A26 has a fixed output setting? As opposed to turning the volume up all the way with the preamp function. I know it's probably functionally the same but the OCD in me prefers to see "Fixed" rather than "0.0" on the display. Not a deal breaker, I'm not that far gone...... Yet

Jan 27, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #264 of 996
Does anybody know if the A26 has a fixed output setting? As opposed to turning the volume up all the way with the preamp function. I know it's probably functionally the same but the OCD in me prefers to see "Fixed" rather than "0.0" on the display. Not a deal breaker, I'm not that far gone...... Yet

If you turn up the volume, at the end '00' is displayed, and one last step further 'fixed'. so I guess the latter is the same as bypassing attenuation altogether. However, there is also a setting 'Attenuator' that can be set to fixed, that does not even allow attenuation. The latter could be soothing for your OCD.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 9:37 AM Post #265 of 996
If you turn up the volume, at the end '00' is displayed, and one last step further 'fixed'. so I guess the latter is the same as bypassing attenuation altogether. However, there is also a setting 'Attenuator' that can be set to fixed, that does not even allow attenuation. The latter could be soothing for your OCD.
That's all good news to me. Very soothing, as you say. Now I hope at some point someone who has had or at least heard the A22 can tell me if it's a noticeable improvement. It would have to be awfully good, which I don't doubt that it is

Jan 30, 2023 at 2:00 AM Post #267 of 996
Does the A26 PCM and DSD output at the same level?
It is always good to check.. a priori at the hardware level, yes.
The problem is handled upstream by the player (software).. or not. For example under Hqp, you can adjust (-6db recommended).

Jan 31, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #268 of 996
There's a recent nice early impressions comparison over on Stereonet of the A26 & R26 from a lucky chap (who I think may be on Headfi too - should you wish to comment further here) who has both.

https://www.stereonet.com/forums/to...y-impressions/?do=findComment&comment=6134605

TL;DR - his impressions are consistent with other reviews I've read to date and what you'd expect of quality DS vs R2R. Essentially: both highly resolving and equally transparent sounding, delta is A26 has more top end fizz with greater resolution (incl soundstaging) and dynamic range, R26 has greater tonal density, sounds more warm and organic.

Unsure if he was using an external clock (Edit - I see he wasn't using one, just the internal clocks). FWIW as I've said a few times an external clock, even a modest one like the OCK-1 beings really satisfying improvements to the R26's resolution, attack & soundstage depth & width, particularly with HQP upscaled DSD512. But then I imagine one would bring equivalent improvements to the A26.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 5:17 PM Post #269 of 996
I have recently settled on the Enleum AMP-23R powering my Susvaras and am looking for a good <$3k DAC (only because I've already blown out my budget) to marry with that. Right now my top candidate is a Chord Qutest which i've been trying and like a lot.. but wondering if the R26 or A26 would be more bang for buck... given the Susvara and Enleum, is one likely a better fit than the other?

Jan 31, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #270 of 996
I have recently settled on the Enleum AMP-23R powering my Susvaras and am looking for a good <$3k DAC (only because I've already blown out my budget) to marry with that. Right now my top candidate is a Chord Qutest which i've been trying and like a lot.. but wondering if the R26 or A26 would be more bang for buck... given the Susvara and Enleum, is one likely a better fit than the other?
I currently own a Chord Qutest and have purchased an A26 because although the Qutest sounded great, it lacked that bass slam that makes music enjoyable for me so hopefully I will find the Gustard better in that department.

Almost certain there is more bang per buck with Chi-fi but will let you know when I receive my unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back