Gustard DAC-A26 - AK4499EX DAC :: Impressions Thread
Jan 11, 2023 at 9:18 PM Post #106 of 1,038
Do any A26 owners have any initial impressions they'd care to share? Especially any comparisons to the R26 or X26 Pro?
Seconded. Ideally with both with/without an external clock, as reading between the lines the A26 seems to deal with a jittery signal better than the R26 alone (no one has stated this, I’m inferring this / taking a punt based on the very limited review comments to date). So I’ll be interested to see if the the addition of an external clock lifts the A26’s performance as much as it does the R26…

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:28 AM Post #107 of 1,038
It's not necessary, because these are basics in DACs technology.
It's only necessary to understand how D/S DACs function. The players that modulate DSD are doing basically what the chip of the D/S DAC does, with the algorithms with which it works, when you feed the DAC with DSD sound. BTW, most, if not all, of the algorithms of HQPlayer are based on algorithms that were created for the D/S DACs, and are in use by D/S DACs.

I recommend again to read the article of the link that I posted above in order to better understand the technology of the digital to analog conversion.
I can’t judge the whole article but at least it’s claims on MQA appear dated and partly incorrect.

To clarify how HQPlayer deals with DSD upsampling I asked the developer how he implemented it which is as follows:

The algorithms used for SDM -> SDM paths are the two settings in “DSD Source Settings” dialog (integrator and rate converter), plus choice of (re)modulator (such as ASDM7ECv2).

HQPlayer can convert (remodulate) directly between two SDM rates, without any intermediate rate. Or you can apply any of the DSP functions on SDM -> SDM path without any rate conversions.

The filter list shown on that thread on post #98 is for PCM to SDM conversion, when source is PCM. It doesn’t apply when converting between SDM formats (when source is DSD).

HQPlayer has two separate DSP engines. One for processing PCM and another for processing SDM.

Jan 12, 2023 at 1:48 AM Post #108 of 1,038
I can’t judge the whole article but at least it’s claims on MQA appear dated and partly incorrect.

To clarify how HQPlayer deals with DSD upsampling I asked the developer how he implemented it which is as follows:

The algorithms used for SDM -> SDM paths are the two settings in “DSD Source Settings” dialog (integrator and rate converter), plus choice of (re)modulator (such as ASDM7ECv2).

HQPlayer can convert (remodulate) directly between two SDM rates, without any intermediate rate. Or you can apply any of the DSP functions on SDM -> SDM path without any rate conversions.

The filter list shown on that thread on post #98 is for PCM to SDM conversion, when source is PCM. It doesn’t apply when converting between SDM formats (when source is DSD).

HQPlayer has two separate DSP engines. One for processing PCM and another for processing SDM.
Yes, the correct list is in the menu "Modulator".

Capture d’écran 2023-01-12 à 07.46.39.png

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #109 of 1,038
You can use SoX or PGGB add-on for the best upsampling quality.
Just for reference, I was previously a user of PGGB in Foobar as well. I upsample to 768k for my X26 Pro.

Now, I don't upsample anymore. I installed UPNP plugin in Foobar and I use BubbleUPNP to stream to Foobar UPNP. In my system, this sounds even smoother than upsampling, without giving up on details. Try it, no harm done if you don't like it .....

Additional info : I am on Windows and I also use Fidelizer, and strange enough I find installing Audiophile UPNP renderer and running it in background user Fidelizer together with Foobar produce better sound. Don't ask me why, a lot of things in CAS does not make sense to me, just try and settle for anything that sounds good.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #111 of 1,038
Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 6:36 AM Post #112 of 1,038
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #113 of 1,038
Seconded. Ideally with both with/without an external clock, as reading between the lines the A26 seems to deal with a jittery signal better than the R26 alone (no one has stated this, I’m inferring this / taking a punt based on the very limited review comments to date). So I’ll be interested to see if the the addition of an external clock lifts the A26’s performance as much as it does the R26…
I have ordered the A26. It should arrive late next week. My previous DAC was a Denafrips Ares II so that will be my only comparison. I have ordered a LHY OCK-1 so I will be able to comment on the differences between the A26 internal clock and the OCK-1.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #114 of 1,038
I have ordered the A26. It should arrive late next week. My previous DAC was a Denafrips Ares II so that will be my only comparison. I have ordered a LHY OCK-1 so I will be able to comment on the differences between the A26 internal clock and the OCK-1.
Nice! Exciting. Make sure you get a 'good' 50 ohm clock cable too as they are not all created equal and only a minority let you get most of the benefit from an external clock. Wish I could explain why, but the theory is complicated and the evidence contradictory. I can recommend the Gustard C2 from personal experience, the best of 4 BNC cables I've tried. Also, per others' recommendations a much cheaper LMR-400 from ebay or the Cybershaft 50 ohm.

Jan 12, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #115 of 1,038
Nice! Exciting. Make sure you get a 'good' 50 ohm clock cable too as they are not all created equal and only a minority let you get most of the benefit from an external clock. Wish I could explain why, but the theory is complicated and the evidence contradictory. I can recommend the Gustard C2 from personal experience, the best of 4 BNC cables I've tried. Also, per others' recommendations a much cheaper LMR-400 from ebay or the Cybershaft 50 ohm.
I went with the LMR-400 BNC cable

Jan 12, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #116 of 1,038
Thank you, but I will stay with Foobar 2000 and bit-perfect transfers, so music sounds as it was mastered in studio. I have no need to upsample, as my DAC play all formats equally well.

Commercial players play with users, adding more to the music they supposed to do.
This is bit perfect, hightly-totally optimized, FREE player for audiophiles on all possible platforms.
With RPi you have Bootable image. I’m use this way.
On x86 computer you just boot from USB Flash drive bootable image and play music.
On windows OS system computer you have windows model Aplayer(32 or 64bit) with best sounding. Install and Play.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2023 at 12:12 AM Post #117 of 1,038
This is bit perfect, hightly-totally optimized, FREE player for audiophiles on all possible platforms.
With RPi you have Bootable image. I’m use this way.
On x86 computer you just boot from USB Flash drive bootable image and play music.
On windows OS system computer you have windows model Aplayer(32 or 64bit) with best sounding. Install and Play.
I understand versatility. But how one bit-perfect can be better than other? It was old story, not anymore. With asynchronous USB transfers, there is no added jitter on the interface. Claiming otherwise hurt one's integrity.

Jan 13, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #118 of 1,038
Don't think anyone has posted this YouTube A26 vs R26 comparison yet:

Jan 13, 2023 at 5:29 PM Post #119 of 1,038
Don't think anyone has posted this YouTube A26 vs R26 comparison yet:

I guess this confirms integrator 's assessment that A26 is more forgiving/pleasing on non audiophile recordings. Since that's about 90% of my listening I'm inclined to go with the A26. If it can make Led Zeppelin listenable it would be a small miracle imho. I have the Japan first addition CD and it still hurts my ears with any volume.
John

Jan 13, 2023 at 6:17 PM Post #120 of 1,038
I guess this confirms integrator 's assessment that A26 is more forgiving/pleasing on non audiophile recordings. Since that's about 90% of my listening I'm inclined to go with the A26. If it can make Led Zeppelin listenable it would be a small miracle imho. I have the Japan first addition CD and it still hurts my ears with any volume.
John
Get the classic records vinyl rip. Its probably the best you will be able to get.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back