Gun Forums
Jul 6, 2003 at 4:35 AM Post #32 of 84
Maybe you could loan her the sunglasses from your avatar.
I had never supersized that photo. I wish you hadn't.
tongue.gif

Jul 6, 2003 at 5:07 AM Post #33 of 84
Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum w/an 8 3/8 inch barrel. Always get a bullseye on the first shot...

S&WM27.jpg

Jul 6, 2003 at 5:53 AM Post #35 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Smith & Wesson Model 27 .357 Magnum w/an 8 3/8 inch barrel. Always get a bullseye on the first shot...

The first hand gun i planned on getting was the Model 27 .357 6 inch barrel...that was till i held the gun and realized my hand was far to small and i could barely reach the trigger...tried the L frame M-585 .357, same problem...tired the K frame M-19 .357, same problem...gave up on S&W's...got a Colt combat commander instead...still wish i got the Sig P220 or 226...anyway my shooting days are long since over now that music has taken over...

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:35 AM Post #36 of 84
I'll second Dave.
The Sig is a combat pistol. Combat is the word here. That gun will eat anything. No safey, just the decocking lever and double action to make you a happy camper. Easy to break down and clean, but kinda sterile. Well, it is German/Swiss!
As far a .40 S&W goes, that is one hot freaking round. I was next to a guy shooting .40 S&W when I was shooting .44 Mag S&W with my Colt Anaconda and I swear he was giving me more grief!
I really liked my friend's Glock in .40 S&W! Yeah, I agree the grip takes getting used to. I also didn't like the small nub of a slide release. Have they fixed that?
My favorite semi autos are the Walter and the Browning Hi-Power.
That same friend had a Belgium made Hi-Power, only it was in nickle. The sights were just too fatiguing.
frown.gif
I'll tell you though, that Hi-Power fit my hand like a freaking glove.
The king is still the 1911 though.
tongue.gif

md

Jul 6, 2003 at 6:40 AM Post #37 of 84
Oh wait!
After rereading the posts, I remember Sig came out with a bottlenecked cartridge. Was it .40 cal?
Did it make IPSC major?
md

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:33 PM Post #38 of 84
Quote:

I really liked my friend's Glock in .40 S&W! Yeah, I agree the grip takes getting used to.

What don't you like about the grip? For me the Glock has the best grip angle for pointability--I hold it and it points straight. It's the fattness makes it awkward. If it wasn't plastic it would be my first choice.

I handled a Sig 225 yesterday, and the single column mag grip is great. Too bad the Sig has such a high bore axis, which detracts from its ergonomics a bit.

Won't the .40 SW have more potential for over-penetration than the 9mm?

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:09 PM Post #39 of 84
I like the feel of the Glock grip. It can also be improved with the addition of a small rubber sleeve made by Packmayr which gives you small finger grips. I think that the sleeve significantly improves the feel, control and comfort. I also have no issue whatsoever with the grips being composite, I actually like that about them.

If you like the thick feel of the Glock grip, I would recommend that you point a Para-Ordinance. It too has a stacked magazine, and I really prefer the PO frame to a single stack Colt.

Jul 6, 2003 at 5:36 PM Post #40 of 84
357 Sig.

357sig.jpg

357sig.gif

Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
Oh wait!
After rereading the posts, I remember Sig came out with a bottlenecked cartridge. Was it .40 cal?
Did it make IPSC major?
md

Jul 6, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #41 of 84
If you ever see Run Lola Run check out the guard's Sig 226 in the supermarket. Dark-blued and nice wood grips...

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
True blue...........ing.
They don't make 'em like that any more archosman.

I sure miss those fine polished and blued guns of old.

Jul 6, 2003 at 9:22 PM Post #42 of 84
This is my baby. A Springfield Armory TRP in black teflon finish. This 'Tactical Response Pistol" is a 1911A1 chambered in .45 ACP.
I use only Winchester Supreme 230gr SXT jacketed hollow point ammo. It has Novak tritium night sights and shoots under 2" groups
at 25 yards. Holster is a Milt Sparks versa max II.
springfield.jpg

Jul 6, 2003 at 10:58 PM Post #43 of 84
Niiice!

Quote:

Originally posted by cyberhazard
This is my baby. A Springfield Armory TRP in black teflon finish. This 'Tactical Response Pistol" is a 1911A1 chambered in .45 ACP.
I use only Winchester Supreme 230gr SXT jacketed hollow point ammo. It has Novak tritium night sights and shoots under 2" groups
at 25 yards. Holster is a Milt Sparks versa max II.

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:05 AM Post #44 of 84
If I remember correctly, the thing about the penetration and stopping power of the 9mm came into question after the FBI did gelatin tests which showed the 9mm hollow points it was using were not expanding, thus over penetrating. The .40 S&W was developed to correct this problem (help me out here guys). I believe the Bren Ten came out around the same time.
Then companies like Corbon came out with +P ammo which also helped the 9mm expand.
Apparently, the FBI was using subsonic ammo.

The thickness of the grip on the Glock was my issue, especially coming off the P225. When I got into shooting, .40 S&W was a bitch to get. Even brass cost some bucks back then.
rolleyes.gif
If it wasn't for that, I probably would have gone that way instead of 9mm.

Jul 7, 2003 at 12:47 AM Post #45 of 84
Actually it was the terrible shooting in Florida between agents and 2 felons (Michael Gross was one of the bad guys in the tv movie!) that prompted the FBI to re-examin their firearms. Several agents were killed and others had failures with their weapons at that time. The .10 mm was originally adopted but eventually proven to not be up to snuff. A sidenote story... at one point the FBI contacted a company to see if they could manufacture a Thompson submachine gun in .10MM! They were that desperate enought to go back to an old proven design. The Bren 10 was made between 1983-1986. They also made one in a .45 ACP, and is VERY rare. Thanks to the first couple of seasons of "Miami Vice" it made the Bren 10 very popular & expensive. at one point AMF-Voit was considering bringing back the Bren 10... calling the new one Peregrine Falcon. It never made it to production.

Quote:

Originally posted by millerdog
If I remember correctly, the thing about the penetration and stopping power of the 9mm came into question after the FBI did gelatin tests which showed the 9mm hollow points it was using were not expanding, thus over penetrating. The .40 S&W was developed to correct this problem (help me out here guys). I believe the Bren Ten came out around the same time.
Then companies like Corbon came out with +P ammo which also helped the 9mm expand.
Apparently, the FBI was using subsonic ammo.

The thickness of the grip on the Glock was my issue, especially coming off the P225. When I got into shooting, .40 S&W was a bitch to get. Even brass cost some bucks back then.
rolleyes.gif
If it wasn't for that, I probably would have gone that way instead of 9mm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back