Gun Forums
Jul 4, 2003 at 6:04 PM Post #16 of 84
If I got a good deal on a double-action only I might buy but in general I'll always prefer single-action. You mentioned you liked the 1911 model. How about a Les Baer model? He used to make one on a Para-Ordinance frame... at least all the FBI pistols were. 14 rounds! I'd love one, but they're damn expensive.

prem6.jpg

Jul 4, 2003 at 9:35 PM Post #17 of 84
I'm still undecided. In Hawaii you need to take a familiarization course to qualify for a permit, and the place I'll buy from allows you to fire a bunch of different pistols at that course. I'll probably decide then. I'm finding out that current 1911s have spotty qc.

Another forum:

http://sigforum.com/6/ubb.x?a=cfrm&s=674608412

Jul 4, 2003 at 9:52 PM Post #18 of 84
The Sig 220 .45 cal. is one of the best handguns I've owned. I've had close to 7000 round through it and it has never malfuntioned in any way. My favorite are the Glock 21 and the H&K P9 both v.45 cal. I shoot the Glock the best but the old H&K is the most acurrite off the bench. Plus they didn't make many in .45 so its kind of a sentimental favorite. The sig's are light because of the alloy frames. Have you tried all the Glocks? Three different grip sizes in the .40 cals. Good luck and have fun.

Jul 5, 2003 at 1:41 PM Post #20 of 84
I signed up at The Armed Citizen on the 3rd. I still am not allowed to post
confused.gif

With all the gun pictures here I thought I would throw in my favorite.
kimber.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Jul 5, 2003 at 3:43 PM Post #21 of 84
I have owned 4 Sigs, and did not care for them. They shot great and they were reliable, but they seemed bland and personalityless to me.

I have the mini Glock 27and the full size Glock 22 in .40. The 27 is my carry gun. It fits easily in a pocket and shoots great for such a small gun.

I shoot a ton of .45 and prefer that caliber. I have several race guns on a standard colt frame, but I prefer the Para-Ordinance frames. I have a couple of p-14's and p-13's. I also stocked up on hi-capacity magazines before the ban.

Don't get me wrong, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the Sig, but for me, it did not speak to me the way a 1911 does.

Jul 5, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #22 of 84
I've been dormant for 10 years, but was an absolute fanatic for many years prior. I did not like the Series '80, and now I see posts indicating that Colt quality sucks and many of the off brands are the same. Any truth to this?

Important[:/B] If I went with a 1911, I'd want a plain traditional version, with traditional machining. I don't care for a fancy look. It would be great if the insides were refined a bit, especially the throat and most importantly, the magazine well. The mag has to drop freely. The Combat Commander configuration would be the first preference and then the full size.

What should I be looking at?

Jul 5, 2003 at 4:51 PM Post #23 of 84
I would not own any new colt product.(auto loaders) If I was going for a commander it would be one of the older Colt alloy frame ones. I like the suggestions Dave1 made. I like the model 22 best of the .40 glocks.

Jul 5, 2003 at 7:56 PM Post #24 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by pigmode

Important[:/B] If I went with a 1911, I'd want a plain traditional version, with traditional machining. I don't care for a fancy look. It would be great if the insides were refined a bit, especially the throat and most importantly, the magazine well. The mag has to drop freely. The Combat Commander configuration would be the first preference and then the full size.

What should I be looking at?

Personally I would go for a used Kimber. They recently introduced a series II that I have not heard good things about. Some sort of firing pin safety in it, but different than the Colt series 80. I have had 3 Kimbers and all seem to be well made. I have heard good things about Springfield Armory, but I have no personal experience. I picked up a Colt Defender in 1999 that was very unfinished, with sharp edges and rough machine work. But, it shoots very well. At the 1911 forum I read a lot of bad things about Les Baer pistols, and it seemed that Wilson is not doing the job they used to either. If I was in the market for a new pistol, and would be willing to spend the money, I would get an Ed Brown. They are expensive, but seem to be worth it.

Jul 5, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #26 of 84
Wilson Combat is huge. Those guys are making everything, 45's, AR15's, shotguns and knives. I think they almost deserted the full custom guns like they used to do.

Jul 6, 2003 at 3:03 AM Post #28 of 84
Looks like a Kimber...

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
I signed up at The Armed Citizen on the 3rd. I still am not allowed to post
confused.gif

With all the gun pictures here I thought I would throw in my favorite.
kimber.jpg.w560h420.jpg

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:24 AM Post #29 of 84
Quote:

Originally posted by archosman
Looks like a Kimber...

Yep that is correct.
One of the few good deals I ever got on a gun. I bought it about a year and a half ago. It was made in 1999 and the name they used on that model was only used during 1999, so the shop I got it from couldn't find it in the "blue book".
very_evil_smiley.gif

For a bigger picture go to Aluma Grips testamonial page and scroll down close to the bottom of the page. They have the option to view a larger picture.

Jul 6, 2003 at 4:31 AM Post #30 of 84
Did you see this scary one? The eyes are wiggin me out!

testimonial25A.jpg

Quote:

Originally posted by Mr.PD
...For a bigger picture go to Aluma Grips testamonial page and scroll down close to the bottom of the page. They have the option to view a larger picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back