Gun-Fi
Aug 27, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #647 of 1,730
I'm recently getting back into shooting, which I've always enjoyed but not done enough of. I borrowed a friends Glock 17 (9mm) and took it out to the range a couple times, and I'm thinking of buying myself a Glock 23 (40 cal). A head-fi search for "Glock 23" turned up... this thread! Which I read ALL of in the past few days, but couldn't make it to the end without buying a used Ruger 10/22! I used to have one and liked it a lot, and always kinda kicked around the idea of getting another one. So... cleaned it up, working on dialing in the scope, but I haven't had too much time to spend at the range yet. Still thinking of getting the Glock 23 though...

Aug 28, 2008 at 1:00 AM Post #648 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingemt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm recently getting back into shooting, which I've always enjoyed but not done enough of. I borrowed a friends Glock 17 (9mm) and took it out to the range a couple times, and I'm thinking of buying myself a Glock 23 (40 cal). A head-fi search for "Glock 23" turned up... this thread! Which I read ALL of in the past few days, but couldn't make it to the end without buying a used Ruger 10/22! I used to have one and liked it a lot, and always kinda kicked around the idea of getting another one. So... cleaned it up, working on dialing in the scope, but I haven't had too much time to spend at the range yet. Still thinking of getting the Glock 23 though...

Not a bad choice as long as you're not going to reload. With all the police trade-ins floating around, used ones are rather inexpensive for a quality polymer pistol. 2nd Gen G23s go for ~ $375 around here.

Aug 28, 2008 at 3:33 AM Post #649 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not a bad choice as long as you're not going to reload. With all the police trade-ins floating around, used ones are rather inexpensive for a quality polymer pistol. 2nd Gen G23s go for ~ $375 around here.

That's a good idea. I don't really know what to look for when buying a used gun though. I didn't worry too much about the 10/22 because it was so cheap and looked pretty clean, but can anyone tell me what to look for in a used firearm? A Glock is a bigger investment, and I'd hate to end up with a dud.

Aug 29, 2008 at 9:32 PM Post #650 of 1,730
i shot my first machine gun today at the scottsdale gun club, where my friend is a member. shot a Heckler & Koch (H&K) MP-5 sub machinegun chambered for 9 mm. not what i expected at all...much more controlled than i thought it would be.

tons of used glocks at the gun club, too...like marvin said above, lot of police trade-ins.

Sep 2, 2008 at 3:23 AM Post #651 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiingemt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a good idea. I don't really know what to look for when buying a used gun though. I didn't worry too much about the 10/22 because it was so cheap and looked pretty clean, but can anyone tell me what to look for in a used firearm? A Glock is a bigger investment, and I'd hate to end up with a dud.

The main things to check for are unusual wear and stress cracks, as well as standard function. Many places don't allow you to field strip the firearm for inspection though, so it makes things a bit harder.

For semiauto pistols, here's the general checkout I do before purchasing.

Frame: Check for cracks and heavy wear in rail area, compare to a new gun if possible. Finish wear on the rails is fine on metal framed guns and minor shavings are fine on polymer framed guns.

Slide: Check for cracks and indentations on the slide, especially around the breechface area. Slide should move smoothly along the slide rails when pulled back and should lock back when magazine is inserted. Check the extractor for wear, chipping, and spring function.

Barrel: Glocks have polygonal rifled barrels, so you won't see any traditional rifling when looking down the barrel. Shine a light down them and check for any unusual bulges in the barrel. Check the feedramps for modifications. Pass if you see any. Check the inside of the chamber for cracks, scratches, and wear. Check the crown for any damage. It should be pretty smooth and even there. Check for peening, wear, or deformation on the barrel hood where it locks up with the slide.

Function: Make sure magazine release works and that magazine can be easily inserted and removed. On a Glock, it's fine if an empty magazine does not drop free when the mag release is pressed. Make sure the magazine is removed and no cartridge is in the chamber for the following. Also get permission from the sales clerk to dry fire the pistol. Point the gun in a safe direction. C.ock the striker by racking the slide. Pull the trigger and keep the trigger pulled. You should hear and feel a click from the striker falling. Rack the slide again. Release the trigger and pull the trigger again. You should hear and feel another click from the striker falling. The trigger pull should not be difficult and should be reasonably smooth.

If you don't understand what I've typed, go with a friend who knows a bit more when shopping for your pistol, or buy a new one. You'll learn it all eventually, but it's better not to take a gamble on the pistol you'll be using to learn how to shoot.

Sep 2, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #652 of 1,730
Quote:

The main things to check for are unusual wear and stress cracks, as well as standard function. Many places don't allow you to field strip the firearm for inspection though, so it makes things a bit harder.

A good preliminary check from an experienced individual, but nothing beats field stripping a used gun (and especially a used pistol) to inspect for damages and modifications indicating unreliable function. Not to belabor the point, but a pistol depends on the recoil from the firing cartrdge and its mechanical action to get to the next shot. If you did not plan on buying a single-shot, you do not want to find out by surprise that's what you have. I cannot begin to tell you the number of externally very attractive used pistols I have been considering buying only to find in a basic stripped condition had obvious physical signs that they were bad bets. If the seller will not allow a field strip of a used gun, they may well have a reason that is against your interests. After all, they plan to sell it to you "As Is" and without warranty.

Excepting standard break-in reluctancies (which is why you want at least 200 rounds through a pistol before you depend on it), the number of mechanical problems is three to four times as high among used guns as among new guns in my experience. Somebody is selling that used gun for a reason. Police trade-ins may appear an exception, as they represent a bureaucratic trade-up, but, also in my experience, cops are employees who do not always take good care of their employer's property. You shoulld be damn sure about function if you are staking your or others wellbeing on a firearm.

Sep 11, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #653 of 1,730
Here is a snap of my Nighthawk.
smily_headphones1.gif

2841193383_ab16a1ce4a_b.jpg

Sep 11, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #655 of 1,730
just arrived...

1954 Romanian M44

1954_Romanian_M44.jpg

Sep 12, 2008 at 12:07 AM Post #656 of 1,730
Quote:

Originally Posted by archosman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sharp. Kinda weird not seeing any manufacturer's info on the slide.

Thanks, I had to special request the way the slide is and the bobtail among other things.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:44 AM Post #657 of 1,730
A fun short story:

As some of you may know, I went to an Army-Navy store recently and bought a Zippo lighter. Well, oddly enough I also found an exact pair of shoes I needed to buy for pep band (red Converse) as well, and unsurprisingly they had a glass case of guns and knives.

I was familiar with many of the knives, but I wanted to hold one of the pistols. I ask the friendly clerk if they had any Glocks; they didn't. I checked for a USP, and he said they had one model. I asked if I could hold it, and he gave this half-amused half-concerned look and asked if I was 21. Well, you guys look at my profile picture; I sometimes don't even look 18.
redface.gif

So the best thing he let me do was look through the glass at the USP Compact. Better than nothing, and I was shocked that the price tag was close to $900 (like, $875). Thought it would be more around the $500-$700 guesstimate.

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:54 AM Post #658 of 1,730
that price tag is because H&K anything is overpriced

Sep 12, 2008 at 4:55 AM Post #659 of 1,730
Quote:

sw2ua0.png

I laughed so hard at this! Awesome! You go man!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back