GUITAR!
Jul 4, 2008 at 12:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

eightbitpotion

500+ Head-Fier
So I am thinking about selling my old alvarez electric (yeah...you read that right). I've always wanted a 'real' strat or an ibanez, but leaning more towards the strat right now. Anyway, I can't seem to find a good deal on one right now, and really only want american made (adds like 300 to the price), so I've decided to build one from Warmoth. I've decided on a pure maple neck, as I've never had one, but I can't decide what wood to do the body out of. Help me build my guitar guys, would you pick maple for the body?
smily_headphones1.gif

Also, for the guitar buffs out there, any strat mods that you guys find appealing?

Guitar bodies...

Jul 4, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 5
There are a few sites around that describe the affects different wood types have in different positions. For example, an all-maple neck tends to give a brighter tone than having an ebony or rosewood fretboard. Alder is the most common compromise between bright- and dark-sounding wood for a Strat body, and is the type used on most Fender American Strats. Mahogany is darker, basswood is usually darker, ash is brighter...

Ah, I see that Warmoth has a nice page that describes all of the wood types including their affects on tone.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 5
As a compromise to warmoth, think about a carvin bolt kit...there are quite a few options you can add. I never had the full kit but I slapped a maple neck w/birdseye fingerboard on to my cheapo strat clone and its been my number one player for 2 years now.

I have been drooling over Warmoth stuff lately though. My options would be:

swamp ash body
reverse headstock CBS neck (vintage pro) - birdseye maple
reverse angle black pearloid pickguard
I would probably use a purple wood stain and tung oil finish on the body

Jul 18, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 5
Alder is the strat sound. Ash should be considered cuz Fender has toyed with it on some tele's. If you want a strat, go hunting used. My bro's '92ish mexican strat is insane feeling and sounds good through any amp (Fender twins, deluxe, deville, Mesa F100.) I love buy used gear cuz you can get something with character. japan made strats are great finds, and older mexican models (early 90's) can be alot better than you think.

Jul 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 5
Alder. For strats, Agreed.
Don't use maple as a body unless you're someone enjoys very long sustain and would sit down most of the time when playing. Maple is extremely heavy but is a great option for those who enjoy tapping due to the sustain. And maple is kinda bright as well. Metal soloist - Maple. Blues guitarist - Alder.

But electric guitar-wise honestly, who really cares about the body wood? It's all about the pickups. Guitar body wood is like what recabling is to headphones. Very subtle effects. The only significant effect from guitar body types is sustain.

A maple neck has a good enough sustain.
Rosewood and ebony fingerboards have a longer sustain compared to maple fingerboards.

And finally, American? American strat/tele? Peh. Nothing special aside from the slightly better craftsmanship than Mexican Fenders which would barely be noticeable. If you want something of equal quality or close, get a Pre-1990's Japanese Fender which used some American parts in them. And personally, Japanese craftmanship is better than American craftsmanship IMO. Creativity too.
wink.gif
Not that I'm dissing American-made guitars compared to Japanese-made.

Back to the topic.
Enjoy long sustain and don't mind the heaviness - Go for Maple.
If not, pick Alder for the Strat sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back