Guitar Purchase - Seeking Advice
Dec 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #16 of 27
There are all these other terms used for guitar sound...
Then apparently lots of pedals/effects are used so I really don't know...then there are the guitar amps...
Can anyone give me their opinion on BC Rich, if not for their particular sound, then their value for money?
I liked what I heard from a WMD Warbeast on Youtube, but they're about £485...which is really expensive...I'm on a tethered phone connection so I can't really check out the cheaper ones on youtube atm...I picked that one to listen to earlier on Youtube because it was the only neck-through one...which is apparently better than bolt-on? I checked Wikipedia but the only positiive comments said "citation needed", except that it'd be sturdier. Not really an issue for me...

I don't really like the standard "round bottom" shape of most guitars, eg. the Les paul

Dec 29, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #17 of 27
There are guitar forums like thegearpage.net that can give you better advice. Also check out guitar, amps and effects pedal reviews on harmonycentral. Guitarist magazine from the UK is a great source for gear reviews.

One pedal you will probably want to look at is the Boss "Metal Zone". Theres a zillion different distortion and fuzz pedals to choose from nowadays. If you are into metal, the "Pod" multieffects and amp simulator units are very good to play around with and you can use the headphone out to practice without an amp.

I know BC Rich is more for metal/thrash/grindcore type playing and has the aggresive looks to match, but I havent ever played one. You might want to check out Dean guitars too. Most beginner players that want to play metal probably start with a guitar from the Ibanez RG series.
"Neck-through", ie, one piece body and neck, is believed to have better sustain than a bolt-on neck but the difference is really moot IMO ,and once you start using things like distortion effects, compressors and amps, you will get all the sustain you want. My Fender Eric Johnson strat with a bolt-on neck has plenty of natural sustain even unplugged.

Hope that helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 29, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by DLeeWebb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I plan to go to a local store to "audition" some guitars, but I am wondering if it's smart to buy from Musician's Friend" or "Guitar Center." Are they safe and ship new guitars (not used (unless designated), not returns, not B-Stock (unless designated), not chinese knock-offs etc.), I would prefer to buy online as the prices are significantly better with no tax (I would have to pay tax for Guitar Center). Have any of you done this before?

Kind of feeling like my thread got hijacked. (that's OK, really) I really want to buy online to save the money but I'm seriously concerned about getting a guitar from an online source because I'm no longer familiar with the sales of guitars. (and I realize that each guitar even within a certain guitar make and line can vary...) I don't want to go with saving taxes only to pay it in return shipping and restocking fees. The last guitar that I bought was in the early eighties and of course there was no where to go but the local guitar shop. I'm afraid that I might get something that's second rate online. At the moment I would really like to get the Taylor 414ce from Musician's Friend, but I don't know...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cianyx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ULTIMATE GUITAR TABS ARCHIVE | 300,000+ Guitar Tabs, Bass Tabs, Chords and Guitar Pro Tabs!

Might help

Cianyx, thanks, I spent a couple of hours lurking in the forums and picked up some useful information. I appreciate the link...

Jan 6, 2010 at 1:24 AM Post #22 of 27
little known fact: the number one reason many students quit is because of a poor quality instrument. they don't usually even realise this as their source of frustration.

however, if you are picking martin or taylor you will not be suffering from that problem!

just take your time and get the best shape,neck etc. for you. stores can be daunting. do not go to gc. go to a boutique store where you can have a private demo.

other than that i'd recommend a breedlove. back to what i just said, if you really want to play it will be worth it. if you are not that intrested really, save your money then.

music_man

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #23 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
little known fact: the number one reason many students quit is because of a poor quality instrument. they don't usually even realise this as their source of frustration.

however, if you are picking martin or taylor you will not be suffering from that problem!

just take your time and get the best shape,neck etc. for you. stores can be daunting. do not go to gc. go to a boutique store where you can have a private demo.

other than that i'd recommend a breedlove. back to what i just said, if you really want to play it will be worth it. if you are not that intrested really, save your money then.

music_man

Thanks for the much appreciated advice. I have begun the exact process that you suggest. A good friend of mine has a Breedlove. He gave me their catalog and I am checking them out as well. So far I'm liking the Taylor 414ce Fall Ltd.

Feb 28, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:

Thanks for the much appreciated advice. I have begun the exact process that you suggest. A good friend of mine has a Breedlove. He gave me their catalog and I am checking them out as well. So far I'm liking the Taylor 414ce Fall Ltd.

I ultimately did purchase a Taylor 414ce 2009 Fall Ltd. from Guitar Rodeo. I would highly recommend the guitar and Jim Tordoff at Guitar Rodeo. The long, enjoyable process to regain my guitar skills has begun. Thanks for the advice...

414ceLtd1011049083c.jpg

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

(and I realize that each guitar even within a certain guitar make and line can vary...)

Thats the biggest reason imo, to try as many as you can at a store and buy from there, and they do vary, even the exact same identical model.

Buy from a shop & ignore online!

Mar 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

I ultimately did purchase a Taylor 414ce 2009 Fall Ltd. from Guitar Rodeo. I would highly recommend the guitar and Jim Tordoff at Guitar Rodeo. The long, enjoyable process to regain my guitar skills has begun. Thanks for the advice...

414ceLtd1011049083c.jpg

Good choice. I owned a 1998 Taylor 814ce, I miss it like crazy. Maybe I'll get another one someday, although probably not a current iteration as I'm not a big fan of their new expression pickup. I'm also a gearpage guy, although I haven't signed on in a while since I've been busy putting together my system here.

Mar 5, 2010 at 3:30 PM Post #27 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by trevorlane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good choice. I owned a 1998 Taylor 814ce, I miss it like crazy. Maybe I'll get another one someday, although probably not a current iteration as I'm not a big fan of their new expression pickup. I'm also a gearpage guy, although I haven't signed on in a while since I've been busy putting together my system here.

Thanks, now I'm looking for an acoustic guitar amp. I think that I'm going to get an UltraSound but I'm still doing my homework...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back