Guitar Gods: Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Ritchie Blackmore, ..
Mar 1, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #46 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tony Iommi. He should be on your list. He's on mine.

Specifically Black Sabbath off the Black Sabbath album. The only song I need on a deserted island.

Hell yeah. I will always love that song. It still creeps me out. Just think about it...the debut track on the debut album of the debut metal band...that must've been such a paradigm shift in the 70s...sometimes I wish I could go back to when albums like these were first released to see how they change the world

Also to add to the list is John Butler. Especially tracks like Ocean off his self-titled debut. That blew my mind.

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:47 AM Post #47 of 203
No love for the prog guitarists?

Steve Howe? Robert Fripp? Fripp may have done way too much improv wanking, but he also churned out "21st Century Schizoid Man", "Red", and "Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part Two". Steve Hackett, too--a more rockin but minimalist David Gilmour, even if he doesn't have as much fame or truly memorable solos under his belt.

In all seriousness, Coltrane's post was very truthful. I still think the most developed facet of Jimi Hendrix was his phenomenal control of the guitar, though. The most striking part of that mastery wasn't his technical skill, really, but how he managed to pour all emotion and resonance into his Strat. Something no amount of shredding can ever do...

Mar 1, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #48 of 203
I haven't gotten a chance to read through all the posts...
But I do believe there are so great guitarists to keep in mind:

1. Django Reinhardt
2. Chet Atkins
3. Les Paul
4. Wes Montgomery

Understandably the notion of the "guitar god" is primarily based on blistering fast fretboard magic, power riffs, and technical mastery of the guitar. But IMO guitarists should be more concerned with melody and melody. I recently purchased the Chet Atkins & Les Paul album "Chester and Lester" on vinyl. Wow! What an album! Prior to listening to the album I had only heard of Les Paul from videos on youtube. I would never had imagined their styles could go well together (Atkins-country, Paul-jazz - I believe).

I was able to see Lee Ritenour perform in a small jazz venue in New York and that guy is awesome.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:24 AM Post #49 of 203
Do I have to write it down
tongue.gif

Mar 1, 2007 at 4:41 PM Post #50 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No love for the prog guitarists?

Steve Howe? Robert Fripp? Fripp may have done way too much improv wanking, but he also churned out "21st Century Schizoid Man", "Red", and "Larks' Tongues In Aspic Part Two". Steve Hackett, too--a more rockin but minimalist David Gilmour, even if he doesn't have as much fame or truly memorable solos under his belt.

Steve Howe was already listed. I'm a big fan of his work on Extraction and Gentle Hearts.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:01 PM Post #52 of 203
A few thoughts:

Glad to see Prince get some props. That guy can play, but for some reason doesn't get taken seriously among such discussions as this.

I'm a bit surprised by two omissions (considering we're on page 3):

Alvin Lee. Listen to "I'm Goin' Home". I have a live version, from the "Essentials" CD and I'm not sure which album it was originally on, possibly the Filmore session.

And, one of my personal favs:

Carlos Santana. Some will argue this one, at least technically, but musically he can make a guitar sing.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:20 PM Post #53 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seriously, this type of discussion is in no way beneficial to anyone's understanding or enjoyment of music.

If this type of thread exposes one to music, or to guitar players that they otherwise would not have been exposed to, then it certainly does benefit that person's enjoyment of music.

To that end: Scott Henderson, Tommy Emmanuel, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jonathan Kreisberg and Robben Ford

To name a few that may not have already been mentioned.

Enjoy

<<Edit>> Forgot to mention Jesse van Ruller

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #54 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by JES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tony Iommi. He should be on your list. He's on mine.

Specifically Black Sabbath off the Black Sabbath album. The only song I need on a deserted island.

Yes, I forgot about my Black Sabbath, but does he belong to Gods?
Also, Brian May (Queen), if he has not been mentioned by someone above.

Mar 1, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #55 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If this type of thread exposes one to music, or to guitar players that they otherwise would not have been exposed to, then it certainly does benefit that person's enjoyment of music.

To that end: Scott Henderson, Tommy Emmanuel, Wes Montgomery, John McLaughlin, Jonathan Kreisberg and Robben Ford

Wow. You're from Canada and know who Jonathan Kreisberg is? That's impressive. He's a really well-kept secret of NYC's jazz scene.

And no, 'guitar gods' discussions do not benefit music ever. In some cases, "guitar gods" are just shredders, which is in no way (shouldn't be) reflective upon how good the artist is. Often times, on the other hand, the artist may be short-handed by the term 'guitar god', as is the case for Jimi Hendrix and John McLaughlin, who were also both excellent composers and had an immense amount of spirituality to their music.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:01 PM Post #56 of 203
I dunno if Paul Gilbert was mentioned before, but he absolutely ownz. In modern drummer 2003, plays some beatles songs with Mike portnoy and lets it rip! G3 '07 here I come!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dunno again if Nuno Bettencourt was mentioned before, he is absolutely terrific. Listen to songs like He-man woman hater, cupids dead, midnight express.

Another guitarist who I have great respect for is Al Pitrelli. His guitar work in Savatages Dead Winter Dead is stunning, and he also has some neat songs with Trans Siberian Orchestra (the ending of Chritsmas Eve Sarajevo is $#@#%#$@!

All the above guitarists unfortunately have very limited (close to nil) official videos, live concert recordings.

AND WHERE IS DIMEBAG DARRELL @#$@#$@#$%!@#$!!! He is awesome!

dont want to start flaming but
Kirk Hammet???? John Frusciante???? please! they dont belong here. Maybe if this was a list of popular guitarists.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:16 PM Post #57 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by rlanger /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Completely agree. At the very least someone might check out a guitarist they have never heard of. Unfortunately some people don't see the value in that and feel the need to define the appropriate context for a discussion on guitarists. Even though I have been and been around musicians all my life, I'm perfectly happy to engage in discussions such as these b/c not everyone wants a classroom lecture. If I can get one person to check out Danny Gatton by listing him as a proverbial "guitar god" so be it. I can always start another thread if I want to discuss things on a deeper level and explain why technical prowess in itself means very little to me.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:54 PM Post #58 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AND WHERE IS DIMEBAG DARRELL @#$@#$@#$%!@#$!!! He is awesome!

Yeah, I was suprised you were the first to list him. I guess that means shredding isn't the only criteria here.

Mar 1, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #59 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Guys, is Prince really that good??? Honestly IMO he is a clown in comparison with those above mentioned...

Yes, he's that good. Find the video of "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" from the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame induction ceremony a few years ago. An all-star band covered the song in honor of George Harrison, who was inducted. About halfway through the song, Prince (who was also inducted that year), came on stage and played the last half of the song with the rest of the band and lit a fire under the song (which had been fairly staid and lackluster to that point... competently played, but no real excitement). Prince turned the performance into a real treat.

You should be able to find the video on youtube or google video. Of course, one video will probably not convince you of anything, but it'll give you some sense of what he can do on lead guitar.

Mar 2, 2007 at 12:01 AM Post #60 of 203
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow. You're from Canada and know who Jonathan Kreisberg is? That's impressive. He's a really well-kept secret of NYC's jazz scene.

And no, 'guitar gods' discussions do not benefit music ever. In some cases, "guitar gods" are just shredders, which is in no way (shouldn't be) reflective upon how good the artist is. Often times, on the other hand, the artist may be short-handed by the term 'guitar god', as is the case for Jimi Hendrix and John McLaughlin, who were also both excellent composers and had an immense amount of spirituality to their music.

Yeah, I was exposed to JK on another forum in a discussion about guitar gods.
rolleyes.gif
J/K

Coltrane didn't say anything about benefiting music. If you read his quote again, he said "benefiting... the enjoyment of music", which is what I responded to.

I personally don't see any value in a "debate" about guitar gods either. And I did agree with many of the points made by Coltrane. Just not that one. Like I said, in the end if I get turned on to someone who I hadn't heard before, then the benefit to me is great.

And hopefully, I've just exposed a few more people to Jonathan Kreisberg (in a thread about guitar gods no less), because he is a unique and beautiful musician. Maybe even Coltrane can now enjoy music more because he has been newly exposed to JK too.

Regards,

Rob

Users who are viewing this thread

Back