Guitar-fi anyone?
Dec 23, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #92 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So, help me decide for my old(er) Mexican Strat:

New tremolo/bridge/saddles (Fender American) + Fender LSR nut

or

Lace Sensor setup (Blue/Silver/Red)?

I have a SD Hot Rails in my bridge right now, so if I were to change to Lace Sensors I would either get rid of the Hot Rails or keep the SD in the bridge and put the Lace Sensors in the neck and bridge. What do you think?

I wouldn't go with a Lace Sensor setup. I've tried a fair number of em and they all sound like mud to me. If you want to go noiseless I highly recommend looking into the Dimarzio Area pickups instead.

If it's between pickups and hardware, go for the hardware for now. It's not like the hot rails are horrible and you can adjust the pickup height to get the right amount of signal that you want for now. But hardware is key - nothing is worse than a guitar that won't stay in tune, or intonates wrong, or has strange buzzes and pings and such. You don't need a roller nut unless you're going to put a Floyd Rose on your strat, which I don't recommend. Just go for some good schaller tuners that will stay in tune, and a new bridge/saddle/block rig that will do the same. For the bridge/saddles look into Glendale or Callaham, either will do you right, google their websites. And finally, have a pro guy set everything up - the hardware, the pickup height, adjust the neck, make sure the nut is filed right (if not file it right, if the nut is shot, get a bone nut, not a roller nut).

Do all that for your Strat and it'll play better than 90 percent of what's hanging in Guitar Center!

Dec 23, 2008 at 3:22 PM Post #93 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

In the meantime I have decided to invest in a guitar, as I do enjoy their sound and versatility quite a bit. However, I know very little on the subject and come to this thread looking for advice. I am looking to spend ~$300 and want an acoustic guitar, 6 string. That's all I know so far.

Anyways:

How should I go about this search?
What should I look for?
Any recommendations?
Anything else?

Thanks a bunch,
Ruel
dt880smile.png

On a separate note, can anyone recommend a good metronome? I am looking for reliability, versatility, and volume control.

Taylor 110 (Brand New)

And it sounds like he can be bargained down off 400 as well. Don't restrict your craigslist search to 300 - start at 400 and look for deals to bargain down. At the 400 range I see Guilds, Larrivees, Martins - all good stuff. At the 300 range i see ibanez, alvarez - no thanks.

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:37 PM Post #94 of 833
Thanks Jahn. I'm not considering a Floyd tremolo so I guess the roller nut is a no go. I have locking tuners but I forget if they're Schaller or Fender. I think I paid $70-$80 for them like four or five years ago, so I don't know if that gives any clues. They are serving me well, though.

I think I'll check out those bridge/saddle companies in the future and get it set up professionally. I can set intonation just fine but I can't do much with the action and I'm too scared to adjust the truss, so I guess I've only done fraction setups.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2008 at 4:48 PM Post #95 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jahn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Taylor 110 (Brand New)

And it sounds like he can be bargained down off 400 as well. Don't restrict your craigslist search to 300 - start at 400 and look for deals to bargain down. At the 400 range I see Guilds, Larrivees, Martins - all good stuff. At the 300 range i see ibanez, alvarez - no thanks.

Thank you for the tip.
beyersmile.png

Dec 24, 2008 at 3:47 AM Post #96 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by EnOYiN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is indeed. He's got some youtube vids as well. I hope you don't mind me linking them here:

Hotel California

Enter Sandman

Course I don't mind. Actually, I just put a new one up

The Trooper - Iron Maiden

</shameless plug>

Dec 24, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #98 of 833
Guitars:
cherry red Fender Stratocaster HSS Highway One
black quilted top Gibson Les Paul Standard

Amps:
MG100HDFX w/ Marshall MG412A cabinet

Dec 24, 2008 at 7:16 PM Post #101 of 833
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was looking at the Vox 15 watt Valvetronix tube amp with effects/modeling. I might sell my amp to buy one.

I was actually going to add that the first thing to go would be my amp.
tongue.gif
Although I like the features of it, I've got the same stuff in my Valvetronix Tonelab which makes one of the two pretty much redundant. If you like playing classic rock you should definitely check the valvetronix out. (either the pedal or the amp)

I am thinking about a mesa boogie amp or something else which sounds somewhat 'sterile' myself.

Dec 26, 2008 at 7:27 PM Post #102 of 833
Here's my guitar-fi:

The effects:

img3640ct7.jpg

(I really don't use pedals
tongue.gif
)

Guitars:

img3491gh5.jpg

MIM Strat, JM signature Strat, Spanish and Western guitar.

My #1 guitar and amp-rig-stack'ish thing with a Blues Jr. and 1x12 Two-Rock Signature cabinet:

img3657wu3.jpg

img3678uo1.jpg

img3673mv6.jpg

evil_smiley.gif

Dec 27, 2008 at 4:54 PM Post #103 of 833
How do you like the Blues Jr. through the external cab?

My roomate has one, but I just can't seem to get the tone out of it I want with my Les Paul. I was thinking of getting an external 1x12 to see if that helps. Something with a Celestion Vintage 30. Probably and Orange.

Thoughts?

Jan 2, 2009 at 2:20 AM Post #104 of 833
My newest guitar
G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow

G&L%20(Medium).jpg

DSCF6014 (Medium).JPG

Birdseye Maple
DSCF6011 (Medium).JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back