Guitar-fi anyone?
Aug 14, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #661 of 832
  $500 for a refret seems a bit steep to me, especially for a guitar without binding.  The fact that it's a vintage piece shouldn't make the job any harder or more expensive, but you do want a very experienced luthier to do the job.  There is always a premium for a skilled technician that's in demand.

500$ for a refret does sound like a rip-off to me. I'm on another continent all together, so the prices may be lower down there, but even 200 quids for a refret by a reputable luthier would be considered expensive.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #664 of 832
Holy Molly !

Dec 6, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #670 of 832
I waste way more money on Guitar-fi than Head-fi.
5RZIm3L9Dj9SvpFTTGvJ7H-NH8iDocCC_M7AV5QJen7a6IaQh_2pSilkJZEFk06OY2CdVHBGEh51uprnzmeEXJXJXu0G0Tu-EYCD2w_ewva22gCeQ8MPYJnTbA1sqDcz1gs2WksKFCOQvFWQvAlo7ak1M9hepqh8j_puIgyx5UqYzRN4yd0GIp4FgjkaNeEZStAk9FE9KKo85r4Nr20zK9xa1bQNFjZxHmYHgWp7JWoqfmuAunAGvqQvYMh0BjoSJF24ZYsv-a9fDsLUvFI_kLKQAoGtSeSP-uYYy5zR-tjFpzzQuMz1nwYv3h3F57ccXzkJeqEuHCcn0qe_-8xrM0jF8nuCuPfEQr4bgU8XKHjdnINrVVXqMbPcTX53302nyhuXdwZPKcAVBmBiYiui3biI4wdbIAy_s9ax3DBUJ_N1C-vonFQDk_A1CW-p08yTPTHZ6-R3nzu97j9-zaqUcAxCrd5oyapi3DpSr4IzC9B6XEYwxr_9VGtOBLZigazZ0lPPjC9cnb7QrHTZ1h0hEAhPpve1Hsm9d0zcMmI_AjE=w1215-h911-no

XlyKt9f.jpg

Dec 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM Post #671 of 832
Anyone tried the Blackstar ht1r 1 watt valve practice combo? I'm thinking of picking one up for some neighbour friendly practice and a decent headphone out. My current Crate solid state is too damn loud and starts to sound great at volumes I can't push where I live now.

Dec 20, 2015 at 2:02 PM Post #672 of 832
Went to the local guitar shop and tested out a bunch of practice amps yesterday, and ended up going for the Blackstar HT1R combo.  It's under the christmas tree now.

Anyone else get utterly bewildered by modelling amps?  I tried plugging into a bunch of small ss 10-20 w combos, but they had so many damn options and things to tweak, and it took far too long to get anywhere near a decent tone.  I found with the Blackstar I could get a good enjoyable tone from lightly speckled cleans to hard driven fuzz in a few seconds and then get on with the playing.

Similarly I have a Zoom G9.2TT unit that I've had for a good few years now and it is so much effort to do anything with it that it just collects dust.

I am thinking of getting a breadboard, some jacks and a bunch of components and having a play at making a few simple boost and drive pedals to refine the setup.  

I also stripped a broken Yamaha guitar a few days ago, and stole a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom from an old unused budget guitar I had as a kid.  

Installed the Custom Custom in the bridge of an Epiphone SG 400 from '97 which oddly has an Epiphone branded Bigsby tremolo arm, and as an experiment threw in a Seymour Duncan JB SH4 in the neck position to see what happened.  The JB in the neck I'm not sure on yet.  Using just the neck position for most tones is stupid and boomy, but seriously distorted you can get some fun stoner rock sounds.  I've been getting much better results, however, from engaging both pickups, and rolling the JB volume back on the guitar about half way.  Excellent and strong.

Will probably change it out for something less stupid in a few months.

Dec 20, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #673 of 832
cool i looked at the blackstar wanted  more fender sound
my rig is a few posts back
1 watt amps are the way to go

i've used line 6 stuff in the past
the pod has knobs on it and the ability to save presets
and recall them on the pedalboard, not bad in a performance
easier to use than most great models for blackface and boogie

i believe clapton called the neck pickup on the SG the "woman tone"
i use a duncan on my strat primarily in the neck position
if you're getting a boomy tone try lowering the pickup

rock and roll

Dec 28, 2015 at 11:43 AM Post #675 of 832
Wow.nice rigs people! I've got to dig up old pics of mine since I've sold most of my electric stuff (just me and my trusty classical).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back