Guitar Center DT770Pro-80
Apr 21, 2007 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

AudioSearcher

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I am interested in buying the DT770Pro-80 (mainly for long-term isolation and comfort). I looked on EBay and there are two stores selling them: extremeprosound(140 + shipping) and guitarinsider(I would try to get a much better offer). I contacted my local Guitar Center and asked about the Pro-80s and asked if they would be willing to come down on the price any. He offered $180...then I asked if they would do online price matches. He said yes and told me about coming into the store...I then asked if we could do this over the phone as it wouldn't be til next week I could get to the store (and if i had ordered online I would have had them from an online store by then).

He said if its a standalone online store it will be matched if i bring in the printed page. I asked about them matching ebay store prices and he tried to tell me how ebay stores try to sell you used items. I told him the stores I was looking at were reputable sellers, over 2k buyers and 99.8% feedback. He then went to ebay and found the two sellers and said they can't price match because these aren't small bussinesses, they are individuals. He stuck to the $180 and i told him thats just too high for my budget and I said "thanks anyway" and I think he said "no problem" or something.

He was polite throughout the whole thing...nothing wrong with the salesperson. However, with those two reputable ebay stores...I plan on buying from them there at a much cheaper price. Should I bother trying anything else with Guitar Center(should I have talked to someone in a specific position?) or should I go ahead and order on Ebay? It's not immediately urgent but I need them pretty soon.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:46 AM Post #2 of 8
I dont think anyplace will price match to ebay. Look for a real online store that has a similar price to the ebay stores, or check if the ebay stores have a REAL online store.

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #3 of 8
I've had good experiences with GC. I have always talked to salespersons in-store which might yield better results. I had no problem getting a price match in-store when guiding them to the website I had found with a low price.

When I bought my DT-770/80 Pro at GC I did not use an ebay price but I did find a price around $150. I don't remember where that was, this was almost one year ago.

When I bought my PreSonus Central Station, GC price matched the super-low price from Northern Sound & Light ($370+/-??). This price was only available via e-mail quote and is not listed at the NS&L website( I printed the e-mail). I believe the GC price matching terms disqualify this scenario but because I was a repeat customer I was treated well. Their reason for honoring the price match was that NS&L is an authorized PreSonus dealer. YMMV.

I think if you buy them from Larry at Headphile they cost $145...plus mods of course
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 21, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 8
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to match an ebay price. As to whether you want to buy from Guitar Center or ebay depends on how return policy, warranty, tax, and shipment factor into the equation.

For me, I never return products that aren't defective and don't worry too much about warranty for things such as the DT770's as the likelihood of them breaking is extremely low. Thus I would go with the ebay auction if it ends up being cheaper with shipping. It may be even possible that Beyerdynamic still honors warranties on products bought from ebay.

Apr 21, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 8
If it's within $10-$20, I buy from a local store because I don't have to wait, and I like to support my neighborhood stores because it's good to keep them in business if you have an emergency.

Apr 21, 2007 at 4:00 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrookR1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If it's within $10-$20, I buy from a local store because I don't have to wait, and I like to support my neighborhood stores because it's good to keep them in business if you have an emergency.

Exactly. I bought my HD 650, DT-880,770 from GC, my Grado from a local audio shop, E4 from a local pro sound shop. My etys are the only ones bought on-line.

Apr 21, 2007 at 5:57 AM Post #8 of 8
I got my 770 from GC for 150, I just told the salesman that I could get then for 150 online and he never required an ad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back