Guide to using Raspberry Pis for Audiophile Projects

What Audio project would you like use the Raspberry Pi for? Options are not mutually exclusive

• DAP with USB output

Votes: 33 38.4%
  • DAP/DAC with RCA analog out

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • Battery Powered DAP/DAC with Headphone amp

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • DAP with RCA SPDIF out

Votes: 37 43.0%
  • DAP/DAC with Headphone amp

Votes: 14 16.3%
  • DAP/DAC with XLR analog out

Votes: 8 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • DAP/DAC with Speaker Amp

Votes: 4 4.7%

• Total voters
Mar 4, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #76 of 90
Has anyone else used the Pi 502 DAC HAT in their project? I have a couple of questions.

1. I received 4 standoffs, 4 small screws, and 4 larger thumb screws with the DAC. I do the following, correct?
  • Attach the standoffs to the RPi with the small screws.
  • Once I attach the HAT, I lock it down with the thumb screws.
2. The HAT has separate connections for a power source (barrel connector and discrete wires). Do I need a separate power source, or will it get powered via the RPi power supply?

All your answers are here: http://www.pi2design.com/uploads/4/8/5/3/48531975/502dac_pro_hw_ref_manual_p1_0.pdf

Mar 5, 2019 at 1:24 PM Post #77 of 90
Mar 6, 2019 at 5:16 AM Post #78 of 90
Nice thread, got some ideas here that I'll try out on my own setup.

I've been running an RPi 3B with an Allo Boss DAC for a year and a half now, been using Volumio the whole time. Usually I use it for headphone listening, but sometimes I also use it for my regular stereo amplifier. When using headphones (Shure SRH840) I connect through an iFi micro iCAN that I bought used.

The only problem I've had is my tablet losing connection to the RPi/Volumio from time to time. Will try a USB NIC as suggested earlier in this thread, see if that will cure the problem. I might also connect it to a touch screen that I really don't use for anything else right now, the setup with the touch screen earlier in this thread looked really nice. I haven't tinkered with it for a long time now, will be fun getting into that again :)

Mar 6, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #79 of 90
Thank you - I was wondering how I missed that. There doesn't seem to be a link to it on the product page (or a separate link to all manuals), so thank you for providing.

The first question still stands, though, although it's likely a more generic question about attaching HATs. Which screws go where?

You can put the spacer between the Pi and the HAT, or use multiples if you are placing the combination in a case of some sort. Normally, the case will have a threaded standoff of some sort. Usually one places screws through the Pit to secure it. When adding a hat, remove the regular screws and use the HAT standoffs, thread at the bottom, tapped at the top.

Cheers

Mar 7, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #80 of 90
Has anyone else used the Pi 502 DAC HAT in their project? I have a couple of questions.

1. I received 4 standoffs, 4 small screws, and 4 larger thumb screws with the DAC. I do the following, correct?
  • Attach the standoffs to the RPi with the small screws.
  • Once I attach the HAT, I lock it down with the thumb screws.
2. The HAT has separate connections for a power source (barrel connector and discrete wires). Do I need a separate power source, or will it get powered via the RPi power supply?

1) The "Thumb screws" are most likely the "feet" (if you got the same kit I got). They look like short standoffs with screws ('cause that's what they are). They go on the bottom with the screw through the hole in the Pi. The standoffs screw on top of those. DAC on top of Pi. Screws go through the holes in the DAC board into the standoffs.

tl;dr It will work any way you want as long as the standoffs are in the middle.

2) No, you don't need a separate power supply.

Enjoy!

EDIT - Looks like a lot of replies came up before I saw them... sorry for duplicate info!

Last edited:
Mar 24, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #81 of 90
I think if someone of the top manufacturers heard what an RPi3 with Allo Boss 1.2 DAC using an LPS can sound like they may be concerned. For a fraction of the price of much of the competition this renderer DAC combination can produce some stunning results. I have done the comparison and have been shocked how good it is.

Oct 17, 2019 at 2:04 AM Post #82 of 90
Great thread ! Very interesting ! I'm an huge fan of DIY stuff.
A few years ago, I made an RPI1 based DAC, with Max2Play. Did the job at the begining...

But I want to make a new one, more WAF compatible...
I'm also interested in the Pi 502 DAC HAT. I understood it is not mandatory to use a different power supply, but did anyone tried it? With which one?

Oct 17, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #83 of 90
Great thread ! Very interesting ! I'm an huge fan of DIY stuff.
A few years ago, I made an RPI1 based DAC, with Max2Play. Did the job at the begining...

But I want to make a new one, more WAF compatible...
I'm also interested in the Pi 502 DAC HAT. I understood it is not mandatory to use a different power supply, but did anyone tried it? With which one?
This one. Works and sounds great

https://www.jameco.com/z/GS60A12-P1...able-Top-Power-Supply-2-1mm-Plug_1952370.html

Welcome to Head Fi. This PSU operates from 100-250 volts

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 2:54 AM Post #85 of 90
Oct 18, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #86 of 90
Thanks for this answer.
It seems like a "normal" PSU. When you say that it sounds great, do you hear a huge difference with or without ?
Only on one system. I have Adcom GFA 555 II amp that picks up noise from the power line. Cheap switching PSUs change the background noise level on that system. This PSU has a medical grade rating, meaning that it is not going to interfere with ECG and EEG machines. I don't hear any changes in the background 'blackness' with it.

I have not found a linear PSU at a price point that I am willing to pay and with a medical grade PSU, I think that I have reached the point of diminishing returns. After all, the PSU on the Pi board itself is switching.

Oct 19, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #87 of 90
Only on one system. I have Adcom GFA 555 II amp that picks up noise from the power line. Cheap switching PSUs change the background noise level on that system. This PSU has a medical grade rating, meaning that it is not going to interfere with ECG and EEG machines. I don't hear any changes in the background 'blackness' with it.

Such a great idea ! So DIY ! :)
Many thanks !

Nov 6, 2019 at 4:21 PM Post #88 of 90
1. Is it possible to stream bandcamp to a raspberry pi and then have the pi wired send that data to my Hugo2?

2. If I wanted to play FLAC albums (Rpi --> Hugo2) that I have actual possession of (they are either on my phone hard drive or my MacBook pro harddrive), what would be the best way to go about this? Could it be done wirelessly without any loss in the integrity of the file? I can't imagine some of these massive FLAC files (HD vinyl rips) being transferred wirelessly. I currently use UAPP and Jriver on my Macbookpro but am open to using ROON if it will do what I need.

3. Is it possible to have someone build this for me for money or is there some place I could buy one that could do the above?

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2019 at 8:40 PM Post #89 of 90
1. Is it possible to stream bandcamp to a raspberry pi and then have the pi wired send that data to my Hugo2?

2. If I wanted to play FLAC albums (Rpi --> Hugo2) that I have actual possession of (they are either on my phone hard drive or my MacBook pro harddrive), what would be the best way to go about this? Could it be done wirelessly without any loss in the integrity of the file? I can't imagine some of these massive FLAC files (HD vinyl rips) being transferred wirelessly. I currently use UAPP and Jriver on my Macbookpro but am open to using ROON if it will do what I need.

3. Is it possible to have someone build this for me for money or is there some place I could buy one that could do the above?

I don't stream Bandcamp (only download Flac) so I can't help you with that. But in general streaming is perfect ly viable (I use Qobuz mostly).

On 2, YES! I'm a Roon user. Flac via wireless is fine for me, I do have a reasonable fast network using an Eero mesh network.

3 Aaalo sell a complete endpoint IIRC.

Jun 7, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #90 of 90
Hi
I recently acquired a Pi4 and the sound was much better with it. The bass was deeper, the sound cleared, and the instruments became clearer.
The chain of course of the musical signal is :
NAS Synology / Supra CAT 8 2m / Uboquiti EdgeRouter X switch / IdeonAudio 3R USB Renaissance / Wireworld Starlight 8 USB 2.0 0.6m / Pi4 / Furutech GT2 USB 1m / DAC
The Pi4 is connected to the same router as a Supra CAT 8 0.8m.
The 3R USB is powered by a linear power supply from https://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-...e-dac-power-supply-regulator-3357v-14ax2.html

The next move is to search for a linear power supply for the Pi4, if the 1A of the second rail of the above power supply is not sufficient.

Is there a proposal for such a power supply?
Link:
https://www.ui.com/edgemax/edgerouter-x/
https://ideonaudio.com/product/3r-usb-renaissance-mk2/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back