Guide: Properly Setting Up Tidal for Best Sound Quality when using a USB DAC
Oct 16, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #46 of 56
you are absolutely right about this-and for months now (for me) this app works beautifully w Tidal (my only source both phone and laptop) but I have several downloaded "offline content" Tidal-sourced albums on my phone and I cant find where the USAPP integration lets me access those...Im reduced to listening  through Android (unamplified) when I fly or otherwise am offline....what am I missing?

Oct 16, 2016 at 7:28 PM Post #47 of 56
you are absolutely right about this-and for months now (for me) this app works beautifully w Tidal (my only source both phone and laptop) but I have several downloaded "offline content" Tidal-sourced albums on my phone and I cant find where the USAPP integration lets me access those...Im reduced to listening  through Android (unamplified) when I fly or otherwise am offline....what am I missing?

I'll investigate this for you and report back!

Nov 7, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #48 of 56
  Well guys, the update finally arrived! In my opinion, it is AWESOME. Seems to hold up to JRiver now.  In case you aren't sure how to take advantage of the new features, do the following: Open the Tidal after updating it-->Click Settings-->Click Streaming-->place a check mark next to your DAC-->Hover your mouse over your dac's name and click the gear symbol-->place check marks in the two boxes that say Use Exclusive Mode and Force Volume. Enjoy!

****... I read your first post first, paid for JRiver and then started reading further down the thread... :D I had been using my phone and UAPP cause I could hear a difference between the PC Tidal app and via UAPP to my DAC. I didn't realize the additional checkboxes in Tidal enabled bit perfect...

Maybe it's worth updating your first post to make people realize that they can enable bit perfect within Tidal now... So they also don't end up wasting 60 bucks...

Nov 7, 2016 at 10:20 PM Post #49 of 56
  ****... I read your first post first, paid for JRiver and then started reading further down the thread... :D I had been using my phone and UAPP cause I could hear a difference between the PC Tidal app and via UAPP to my DAC. I didn't realize the additional checkboxes in Tidal enabled bit perfect...

Maybe it's worth updating your first post to make people realize that they can enable bit perfect within Tidal now... So they also don't end up wasting 60 bucks...

Ahhh sorry mate! FWIW JRiver rocks for managing your actual digital collection. So if you every start piling up FLAC and mp3 files....at least there is that!

Edit: Also worth noting that if you ever want to use any DSP, VST plugin, EQ, etc you will need JRiver for that. 

Nov 7, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #50 of 56
Ahhh sorry mate! FWIW JRiver rocks for managing your actual digital collection. So if you every start piling up FLAC and mp3 files....at least there is that!

Edit: Also worth noting that if you ever want to use any DSP, VST plugin, EQ, etc you will need JRiver for that. 

No worries, mate. I'm sure that the EQ or vst function will come in handy someday.

Maybe update your first post though...

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:30 AM Post #51 of 56
Haha, yes, that's pretty clear now lol

Jan 14, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #52 of 56
Hi all,

I have recently setup the Tidal desktop app on my Mac Mini, running audio out to my Geek Pulse XFi, and so far at at least 1 point in each song (sometimes multiple) the app stops playback for what appears to be buffering. Most of the time it does not recover and I need to scrub back or ahead 2 or 3 seconds to get it playing again.

I have extremely fast internet, and have set my DNS settings per their support docs.

Is there any way to set the desktop app so it will load songs into memory (like in JRMC) before playback? I have not found any options for it, but maybe there is a hidden setting (or hack) that someone knows about.

Thanks.

Jul 3, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #53 of 56
Hi, guys! Sorry if its been answered.. couldnt find.

You guys recommend setting Exclusive Mode and Force Volume on in order to take advantage of the Master feature. I understand that it bypasses OS filters, but Im not that purist.

Just wanted to know if my music is being played back at 96/24 if I just set my soundcard to 96/24 and dont enable exclusive mode and force volume. I reckon other sources would be upsampled, but its not a problem.

ty all!!

Feb 22, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #54 of 56
Hey guys glad you're enjoying the new update for Tidal Desktop. I have to say I've been testing it on my gear and I'm very disappointed with the sound quality when playing Tidal exclusive mode to my Sennheiser HDVD800 amp/dac and HD800 headphones-very crackly and muffled...

Hi guys,

...reviving an old thread :)

I am experiencing 2 issues with Tidal:

1 - if I select "Use Exclusive Mode", there is a dramatic sound degradation (via USB to ifi Micro iDSD + Sennheiser HD 800), similarly to what mickylane reported. Anyone else notices this, and is there any fix from Tidal (we are now 2 years after the initial observations on this)?

2 - there are several tracks with noticeable noise in specific moments, it may no be apparent in less revealing systems, but I notice it with the ifi micro iDSD + Sennheiser HD800, and is even more prominent with my main stereo setup (Auries Aries streamer + Auralic Vega Dac in Exact clock mode + PAthos Ethos amp + Proac Response D48R), either using the Auralic Ligthning DS app or Roon. Some examples include:
- https://tidal.com/track/56681103 - Love On The Brain; Rihanna - for example at 0:16-0:17sec ; 0:50-0:56sec
- https://tidal.com/track/57454792 - i hate u, i love u (feat. olivia o'brien); Gnash - for example at 1:08 and 1:10 and 1:18

There are many more examples, but I think these 2 illustrate the issue clealy. This happens with Tidal app online, desktop on Windows, desktop on macOS, Tidal within Roon, etc...

Thanks!

Mar 1, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #55 of 56
Hi guys,

...reviving an old thread :)

I am experiencing 2 issues with Tidal:

1 - if I select "Use Exclusive Mode", there is a dramatic sound degradation (via USB to ifi Micro iDSD + Sennheiser HD 800), similarly to what mickylane reported. Anyone else notices this, and is there any fix from Tidal (we are now 2 years after the initial observations on this)?

2 - there are several tracks with noticeable noise in specific moments, it may no be apparent in less revealing systems, but I notice it with the ifi micro iDSD + Sennheiser HD800, and is even more prominent with my main stereo setup (Auries Aries streamer + Auralic Vega Dac in Exact clock mode + PAthos Ethos amp + Proac Response D48R), either using the Auralic Ligthning DS app or Roon. Some examples include:
- https://tidal.com/track/56681103 - Love On The Brain; Rihanna - for example at 0:16-0:17sec ; 0:50-0:56sec
- https://tidal.com/track/57454792 - i hate u, i love u (feat. olivia o'brien); Gnash - for example at 1:08 and 1:10 and 1:18

There are many more examples, but I think these 2 illustrate the issue clealy. This happens with Tidal app online, desktop on Windows, desktop on macOS, Tidal within Roon, etc...

Thanks!
...anyone?!

Mar 19, 2018 at 4:28 AM Post #56 of 56
there are several tracks with noticeable noise in specific moments

Not an answer - just a confirmation. I too hear the noise you are describing. I'm using LCX > HD650, so you don't need an exquisite setup to hear it. AFAIK there are no issues with my Tidal setup. The noise is there, in the digital stream. Might be interesting, if you have the original disc, to listen to the same parts of the music. I've heard differences between music from Tidal and music direct from my disc transport into the same headphone system, and I'm not even speaking of obvious noise as you have highlighted.

I also thought there was a dedicated Tidal thread, but I don't know where it is now. It might be in the section on Computer Audio.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back