Guide on recabling Portapros? Or commissioning a Portapro recable!
Jul 4, 2012 at 3:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

smokecrack

Head-Fier
I searched a bit, but couldn't find a good guide on what cable to use or how to do it. I have experience in soldering, but not recabling so I want to make sure I have the proper tools for the job.

Can someone tell me where I can order everything I need, and what exactly it is I need?

Alternatively!

Would anyone be interested in recabling a pair of Portapros for me? I can ship all the required equipment directly to you (including a new pair of portapros) and you can ship them to me in Singapore. I of course will pay for supplies, shipping and your time/effort.

Thanks!

Jul 4, 2012 at 6:53 AM Post #2 of 5
Redco seemed to me the best supplier, but Mouser is very good too.You need an iron and solder obviously. Also a cable (Mogami w2893 for example). I really suggest stripping it, otherwise your cable will weight much more than your Portapros. Braid it and do a Y-split either with just heatshrink (adhesive, not the normal kind), or a plug barrel or anything that you think might work. Also get a helping hands thingy, at first I thought it was just unnecessary, and it's just essential to me. You probably already have one if you're used to soldering

Start by whichever end you feel less comfortable with. For most people this was the drivers, for me it's the connector. Don't forget to slide the barrel and plastic over the cable BEFORE you solder the whole thing (happens a lot)

Sep 23, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 5
Digging this up...why recable PortaPros? Do they respond well to it or is it just a durability or cool factor? I have a pair and really like them...that's why I am curious. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back