Guide me to $150-300 IEMs based on my past experience
Oct 29, 2009 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Richard Berg

New Head-Fier
I owned a pair of ER-4S from about 1999-2002 but sold them when I stopped traveling as much. Well, circumstances change, and I'm back in the market -- and boy are there more options nowadays! Guess the much-reviled iPod Generation was a good thing for audiophiles after all
happy_face1.gif

Once upon a time I was pretty familiar with the whole market. But there's no way I could demo all the new models available today; gotta rely on recommendations. (If I truly dislike the result, it's not the end of the world -- I simply don't have endless free time to play the buy/sell/trade game like I did when I was younger.) Luckily, I do have a pretty good memory of the various cans I've owned over the years, plus old reviews from 'phone trade shows. Summary time:

Quote:

Sennheiser HD600 - owned these for over a decade now. Near perfect, as far as I'm concerned. (I've since heard the 650, though not the 800). Only complaint is the slightly veiled treatment compared with electrostatic cans or Etys. Regardless, I imagine I'll be buying replacement pads & wires for these babies for decades to come.

HD580 - degraded dynamics & clarity more than I anticipated, makes the aforementioned "veiled" tendencies too noticeable

AKG 501 - liked overall character a lot; a little too thin for my tastes, but definitely preferable to cans that highlight the extremes (like Grados)

Grado SR-225 - owned these for a month & promptly sold. Whole SR series were great values in their day but just not my thing. Highs & lows jump out at you with considerable detail, but Senns get you just as much if not more without the bombastic ear treatment. Yes, I tried listening to rock/metal/techno on them too -- same opinion, sorry.

Grado RS-1 - definitely more refined than the SR series, which I appreciated, but still not the cans for me. Tried pairing with tube amps, result was actually worse.

Beyer DT 770 Pro - liked, but preferred Sennheiser

Sony V6 - not at all accurate to my ears

Sennheiser Orpheus - delightful new take on music I'd heard many times before. Loved the transparency, detail, soundstage, and richness. Yet I could never buy one because of the coloration: when testing a CD I'd produced myself, it sounded like alien (if pleasant) clones of my longtime friends & bandmates.

Stax Omega - had the "air" I liked in the other electrostatics, but none of the magic

Etymotic ER-4S w/ white rubber flanged tips - owned for about 3 years, along with a Headroom Airhead amp. Loved the incredible detail and the isolation. Could have used a little more midrange warmth for my tastes, as well as considerably more bass (I used EQ and still wanted more on occasion). Very unforgiving of source material -- my Sennheisers are as detailed (or nearly so), but don't go out of their way to make bad recordings sound bad like ER-4's seem to. Comfort was bearable but not what I'd call pleasant. Well known issues with microphonics.

Hope that helps.

It seems that many top flight IEMs (that is, comparable to the best I've ever heard) are in the $150 range these days. That's great news; I've started reading about Phonak, HF5, W1 & UM1, IE6, etc. But I'm willing to make the leap to multi-driver designs if you think it would aid someone with my listening preferences. Of course, the more $$ we're talking about, the more sure I have to be about picking the right one
smile_phones.gif

Final notes:
- source will be high bitrate AAC files on an iPhone 3G, no amp
- isolation *must* be at least as good as Etys; subways are loud!
- must have PTT microphone option, or be compatible with 3rd party ones
- despite expending lots of text here on sound quality, comfort & overall ergonomics matter just as much. not worth the $$ unless I can wear for long periods, exercise, or whatever without being encumbered.

Oct 29, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by ting.mike /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was gonna recommend you the Westone UM3X, but it fails your final notes requirement.

Which part does it fail?

EDIT: NVM...

Oct 29, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 10
I assume the UM3x issue is lack of iPhone-compatible mic options? While spending $325 on IEMs that I can't talk on isn't ideal, I'd rate it as less important than the other considerations. Besides, I'm fairly sure I can gerry-rig something...

Oct 29, 2009 at 8:33 AM Post #7 of 10
Sounds like an HF2 would fit you well, especially with your previous affinities and the mic.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 10
God, I cannot believe anyone can stand the HF2s... I've been searching for a nice set of IEms for a while. Tried the HF2s. Put them back in the bos in less than 10 minutes after giving a try to all the different flanges and foams they came with... Is it just my taste or do they really lack any bass? I know I'm a bass head, but man did they sound awful to me.

Haven't had access to any of the Klispch or the Sleek Audio range, but it seems to me from reading tons of reviews that they could be the way to go... (no mic though). And on the chepo side the NU Force7 seem also to be quite a nice option.

Nov 4, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #10 of 10
Sounds like I'm down to the Audéo PFE or SE530-PTH. As good as Etymotic was 10 years ago, seems like they haven't significantly improved their known shortcomings (ergonomics, bass). Now that there's a thriving aftermarket in IEM tips, I'm sure I can find a solution that offers sufficient isolation. Whether by putting Complys on the 530, Shure olives on the PFE, or modifying 3-flange silicon designs to fit either...

Once framed as a choice between those two, picking the PFE @ half price is almost a no brainer. So...last chance for fanboys of other brands to talk me out of it
wink.gif
I'd especially love to give Westone a fair evaluation after all the good things I've heard but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards. (Unless you know of a store in the NYC metro area that lets customers demo high-end IEMs.) Just in case, I've already found an iPhone mic/PTT adapter that works with them...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back