[GUIDE] Display Hebrew on x3ii/x1 (and other RTL languages)
Sep 2, 2016 at 7:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FiiO-Shadow

Sponsor: FiiO
Dear respected customers, 

We well know quite a few customers want to add Hebrew language to X1/X3II, or even just want to let Hebrew language display correctly.  Because the Hebrew is right to left language, it is impossible to add it to the language options of X1/X3II/X5II. Moreover, we don't understand the Hebrew, it is a little hard for us to research this problem. 

Now, glad to let you know that, a kind customer shared a guide in details with us, to help display Hebrew on X3II/X1 correctly. 
This guide is posted on FiiO forum by the X3II user named @snuk, and we reward the guide after getting the user's permission.

Here is the original link on forum: Click here,  and the original content as follows:

"Why I wrote this (reading this part is optional)
After receiving my shiny new x3-ii I realized that indeed, and as promised , it does not display hebrew.
I usually prefer to read song names as text and not as say... an assortment of  empty squares - so I looked for a solution.
Turns out it's doable, it takes a little time but the process is not too complicated. 
I could not find any information on this, so I thought it worthwhile to prepare this guide, hoping it will be of use to a others in a similar situation.
If you too would like to dispaly a language that...well, nobody really cares about - then this guide is for you!  

DISCLAIMER: As usual, do at your own risk...yada-yada

Introduction:
In this guide I wish to show you the steps to take in order to:
1. Get your fiio device ready to display, presumably,any language you want.
2. For RTL (right-to-left) languages - Get your files ready so they display properly.

Big Thanks to :
- fiio for their devices and adopting the UCI concept
Fiio-shadow for his excellent DIY guide on themes 
TCD1975  for his beautiful custom theme for the x1
- All the people who contribute from their time and knowledge on this forum

Pt. I - Getting your device ready:
          Tip!  If this gets too technical, or you simply have someplace else to be,
                   feel free to download the attached firmware file (scroll down to the end) and skip this part.                                   (but this is for x3ii only!!)

1. Download the relevant firmware for your device.
2. Read through fiio-shadow´s guide to learn how to unpack and later repack the firmware.
3. After unpacking the firmware locate 'fonts' folder.
4. Inside you should see a file that goes by the name of msyh.ttf                                                                                  - This file is the one we want to replace (with our custom font)
4a. Which font should I use And where can I get it? 
       - I would suggest using an extensive and screen oriented font (for example: Segoe UI,Tahoma or Arial).
          You can always open up Word on your pc and see what's the name of that font that makes you smile. 
       - Where can you get font "xxx"? luckily chances are that you already have it installed on your pc. 
          Locate your pc's fonts folder ("C:\Windows\Fonts" on windows 10). for more help: 
google
          copy the font you want to a comfortable location (desktop).

5. Rename your  custom font from xxxx.ttf to msyh.ttf
6. Copy your custom font into the fiio font folder (the one from step 3). when asked to replace - click yes.
7. Repack firmware.
8. Copy your new fw file (for the x3-ii you need to rename it x3ii.fw) and perform update as usual.
And that´s it! 

Pt.2 RTL Languages:
Prologue

By now you, if you followed this guide and installed an appropriate font, your device should already be able to display your desired language.
But, as I'm sure you've noticed, for Hebrew, Arabic and also the Phoenician alphabet everything is displayed backwards (mirrored).
In this part we will "fix" that. (we are actually going to mess up your files and meta-data 
color]
)
There are probably many ways to approach this, this is simply the one that worked best for me.

What you will need:
1. Tagscanner- "The Ultimate Tag Editor" (it is actually...)
2. Langover 5.0 - This small program, once installed, allows you to make a few automatic                                                                  manipulations on text (in our case "mirror" it).  It is a little obtrusive
                            and sets itself to start with windows (this can be disabled).
                            However it gets the job done extremely well.                              
- This is not going to be a detailed guide to either programs. 
   If you need something more detailed on how to use there's information a plenty online . 
- For this part it is preferable to have your sdcard plugged directly to your computer.

Schematic guide: 

1. Make sure Langover is running
2. Open tagscanner and drag&drop all the files of a single album into its main window.
3. Open "Edit" tab and press ctrl+a to select all the songs in the album.
    (so we won't have to repeat everything per file)
4. Click somewhere on the Album name
5. Press F6 (default to flip text in langover)- this should flip the text
7. Repeat for artist/album artist/genre etc. Press save.
8. Choose first song. Flip song name. Click save.
9. Repeat for all songs in album.
10. Go to "rename" tab. press ctrl+a
11. Click rename. (this will automatically change file names to reflect changes in meta-data).
      now all file names are flipped too : )
Repeat with your music library until done.
Once you are done your library will be super awsome!!!             

That's it! Took a while to write so I hope this helps : )
Good luck!
Feel free to ask questions.

Download link: x3-ii_firmware2.0  [Segoe UI font]

Thanks for the X3II user's (@snuk) kind sharing the guide with us again! :)
If there is any feedback or other ways to help display the Hebrew on X1/X3II correctly, pls feel free to contact us! 
beerchug.gif

Best Regards,
FiiO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back