Guidance in upgrading from Klipsch S3 and Audio Technica ATH-SJ11
Oct 29, 2014 at 10:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

swaroopanil

Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm seeking help in getting a pair of earphones and a pair of headphones.

My Current Gear:

Klipsch Image S3:
I like the sound but I feel that the mids are suppressed and that the bass is over emphasized. The highs also feel under-extended. The isolation is sufficient. I'd like a little more warmth and wider soundstage. I'm looking for  a pair of budget earphones (about 50 to 60$). Preferably with an inline mic and of decent build quality.

Audio Technica ATH SJ11:
I know that this is a very basic pair of headphones but before buying these I tested Sennheiser HD201 which felt very laid back and lacking the "energy" that the SJ11 has. In comparision I felt that the SJ11 has nice warm and full bodied sound which is fun to listen to.The mids highs and lows are all clearly audible however presented. I'm looking to get the Audio Technica ATH-M50x as an upgrade.

Creative Soundblaster E1:
I'm totally new to amping and DACs. So all I could notice and observe (when using the SJ-11) was an increase in the quality of bass (depth, tightness and clear definition). Would this DAC/Amp be compatible to the M50x?

There's no particular type of music that I stick to. I listen to a little bit of everything  and the source is a Galaxy S3 (international version) and my laptop for watching movies.

I'd like to know if the sound signature and presentation would be similar to that of SJ11. I'm from India and there are no retailers in my locality where I can test a pair.

If there is a better alternative, I'm willing to consider it provided it is in the same price range as the m50x. I'm looking for an all-round performer with a balanced sound with a slight bass emphasis and warm tonal balance and lesser emphasized treble.

Also could someone mention a good store(US) in the state of California/online to buy this stuff which might give discounts for black Friday/thanksgiving. 

Thanks in advance 

PS: This is my first post regarding audio experience. Hope it made sense. Constructive feedback appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back