Guess it's not "their year" after all...
Oct 3, 2008 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 17
For most intents and purposes, it's never been their year. I would never pick the Cubs, until the year after they've actually won it, because no matter how strong they might appear, they are the Cubs, and they will fail. It's practically a law of physics.

The '02 Angels won with the rally monkey. Perhaps the Cubs need to embrace the curse, and go with the rally goat!

Oct 3, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For most intents and purposes, it's never been their year. I would never pick the Cubs, until the year after they've actually won it, because no matter how strong they might appear, they are the Cubs, and they will fail. It's practically a law of physics.

The '02 Angels won with the rally monkey. Perhaps the Cubs need to embrace the curse, and go with the rally goat!

And the Sox "Cowboy'd up."

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:01 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiddishHamburgla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what, no olsen twins? all joking aside let's not get carried away yet. the series is not over quite yet.

It's only a joke if it's funny...
tongue.gif

And in response to your last sentence: HAHAHAHAHAHA!

HAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I lived in Chicago for 10 years (1978-88), and watched the Cubs a lot. If there is a way to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory, the Cubs will find it. I still vividly recall that ground ball going between Leon Durham's legs in the loss to the Padres in 1984. That pretty much sums up the Cubs.

On the subject of the Cubs, a former co-worker related to me the following story. His five year old daughter loved baseball, and she especially loved the Cubs. On one occasion, she was watching a game where the Cubs were not playing, and two outfielders collided chasing down a fly ball. She said "Look, daddy, Cubs!"

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 17
The Cubs losing is a Chicago institution. No where else in this great country will you see a consistent tradition of mediocrity that spreads out over a century. "This will be the year" is just a cruel inside joke that not enough people are in on.

Oct 3, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #11 of 17
This is extremely disappointing. I wait all year, for this moment, and it seems the Cubs are tired and lack that "fire" needed for playoff 'ball.

At least Tampa Bay is still in it, and looking strong.
wink_face.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Cubs losing is a Chicago institution. No where else in this great country will you see a consistent tradition of mediocrity that spreads out over a century. "This will be the year" is just a cruel inside joke that not enough people are in on.

You must not follow baseball that much if you are jumping on the "The Cubs always suck" bandwagon. Granted, they have not won a World Series in nearly a century, they hardly have a consistent tradition of mediocrity. I'm fine with people rooting for other teams or whatever, I just people that make comments like this actually knew something about baseball history.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 3, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #14 of 17
Let's see here... the mother****ing TAMPA BAY RAYS WON THE AL EAST!!! If the bargain-basement Rays can win the toughest division in MLB, then the NL-best Cubs should win at least one NLDS game. The Cubs feel entitled all of a sudden, because that's what everyone is saying about them.

That, unlike the LA Ramirezes... oops, Dodgers, who have nothing to lose. They won the weakest division in the NL and are now tearing up the "best" team in the NL. This, thanks to a guy who many want to believe is a washed-up goofball of a player. That sounds like a recipe for success to me. It happens every year, now that there's the Wild Card and so many divisions: '07 Rockies (WS app. after almost losing tiebreaker), '06 Cardinals (WS Champs with 83 wins), '05 Astros (WS App.), '04 Red Sox (WS Champs after being down 0-3 in ALCS to Yanks), '03 Marlins (WS Champs over Yankees), '02 Angels (WS Champs over SF "Barry Bondses"). '00 Yankees (WS Champs after losing final 7 reg. season games).

All those teams caught fire in the playoffs. That's all that matters. It doesn't matter if you just pitched a no-hitter (Zambrano) after being injured. It's still possible for the Cubs to catch fire and win it all, as the Yanks almost did in '01 (down 0-2 to A's).

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:47 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by intoflatlines /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You must not follow baseball that much if you are jumping on the "The Cubs always suck" bandwagon. Granted, they have not won a World Series in nearly a century, they hardly have a consistent tradition of mediocrity. I'm fine with people rooting for other teams or whatever, I just people that make comments like this actually knew something about baseball history.
smily_headphones1.gif

It's sad... just so sad...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back