Guess i got the head-fi disease as well :(( Which custom IEM should i go with??
Mar 20, 2010 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

fL.

Head-Fier
hiho head-fi'ers,
i'm kinda new to all those high-end portable stuff. till now i have always listened to $50 earphones from sony till my mum accidentely put them in the washmachine. so i had to go and look for some new ones. somehow i ended up on this site.

well, reading through all the threads on here i kinda got interested in getting some custom IEM's myself since there is supposed to be a HUGE difference in sound and whatnot.
so i'm saving up money right now but i'm not quite sure which IEM to go with. since those are probably going to be my first and maybe last ones i'm going to get (cause they're not that cheap) i'm tend to go with one of the better ones like the UE18 pro, JH16 or JH13.
my PMP right now is an iPod touch. i listen mainly to HipHop, RnB, Pop and Rock.
after puchasing one of them i'm planning on getting better cables (probably null audio Lune silver) and MAYBE an AMP (RSA seems to make some of the best i guess). i like the shadow but i don't think the SQ is as good as the bigger ones such as the tomahawk. so i'm undecided there as well. the AMP shouldn't be bigger (length/width) than my ipod touch though!

back to the IEM's, i know all three of them have really good SQ but right now i like the UE18 best. don't know why since the JH Audio's are probably gonna be a better choice for the kind of music i listen to since they are more "bassy". correct me if i'm wrong. oh and they are cheaper!

hope you guys can help me decide which one to get. i still have to save up quite a bit but i don't think there is going to be a lot of new stuff coming out in the next couple months.

please don't be so hard on me if there are some mistakes since english is not my mother tounge :pP

YOU GUYS SHOULD FEEL BAD CAUSE YOU JUST INFECTED ANOTHER ONE! HAHA
beyersmile.png

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:30 PM Post #2 of 36
If you're coming from $50 buds, I suggest sticking within the $300 range, as there is the law of diminishing returns which decreases value for your dollar significantly as the price goes up.
You will be happier than ever with anything $150-300. It will be leaps and bounds ahead of your $50 IEMs, and you won't be breaking the bank. Is all your music in high-quality files? If not, don't even bother shooting for the top, as your music will sound like garbage. For $200 the Westone 2 is great value for your dollar, and unless you like loads of bass you wouldn't be disappointed. Either look at the Westone 3 or the Sennheiser IE8.
As for the customs, I don't bother keeping track of them and their sound sigs, as I'll pay that much for the relatively small increases in sound quality (compared to $50 buds to $200 buds, there isn't near the difference between $200-300 buds and full on customs to make the extra $800 worth it) only when I win the lotto.

Mar 20, 2010 at 4:48 PM Post #3 of 36
hm thanks for the advice.
now you say it it makes sense. :/
guess i just wanted some as well since everybody was so pleased with them and they looked cool,too. if there ain't a big difference regarding the sound between W3, Shure SE530, Triple.fi 10 etc. and the customs i guess i might try out one of the universals first.

before i decided to go with customs i was thinking about getting some W3. but my issue with them was that they dont have detachable cables. i know they are very durable and you can send them in for repair for 25$ but since i'm not living in the US it'll be more expensive and i don't want to wait 2-3 weeks for them to send it back to me.
i know the new shure se535 and triple.fi 10 have detachable cables but W3 is supposed to be superior to them in every way.
and i know the triple.fi 10 and shures will sound good as well but i don't feel like buying something where i know that there is a better one for a cheaper price.
so i'm stuck right there.
the only solution i can think of is buying some W3 and get them custom molded.
but it's gonna be expensive as well.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:04 PM Post #4 of 36
The W3, Shure SE530, and the Triple.fi 10 can all be re-molded into customs with extra drivers if desired. The Tf11 is a popular re-mold of the Triple.fi 10 with an extra mid-driver, and a popular re-mold for the SE530 gets 3 additional drivers.

There are many options for extra drivers, usually based on the perceived deficiencies of the universal IEM to be re-molded.

You could get all three of the above universal IEMs, sell or return the one you like the least, and keep the best as your universal, then send the other one out for a re-mold into a custom, all for less than the price of a JH16 (more or less).

The most popular re-mold houses are Unique Melodies in China, and Fischer Hearing in Florida.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #5 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you're coming from $50 buds, I suggest sticking within the $300 range, as there is the law of diminishing returns which decreases value for your dollar significantly as the price goes up.
You will be happier than ever with anything $150-300. It will be leaps and bounds ahead of your $50 IEMs, and you won't be breaking the bank. Is all your music in high-quality files? If not, don't even bother shooting for the top, as your music will sound like garbage. For $200 the Westone 2 is great value for your dollar, and unless you like loads of bass you wouldn't be disappointed. Either look at the Westone 3 or the Sennheiser IE8.
As for the customs, I don't bother keeping track of them and their sound sigs, as I'll pay that much for the relatively small increases in sound quality (compared to $50 buds to $200 buds, there isn't near the difference between $200-300 buds and full on customs to make the extra $800 worth it) only when I win the lotto.

I'm inclined to disagree with the majority of your post except for the possibility that the OP may be bottlenecked by lower-bitrate files with any top-end custom. It's easy to make such a sweeping write-off of the many benefits of the best customs if you've never owned one.

The fact of the matter is that a flagship custom will offer you a much better experience than any universal will. The JH13s out of an iPhone 3GS sound better than the Triple.fi 10 Pros and IE 8s (and very possibly every other universal) out of a $1200 desktop setup, and in every dimension. That is just on sound alone, not even including the benefits of custom comfort/wearability, and general pleasure of use. Hell, the JH13s wreck my full-size Grado HF2s out of pretty much any source overall (though not as completely and as unequivocally as they do the universal IEMs, since the HF2s do win in slam and certain other elements).

In hindsight, I would have much preferred going straight to the JH13s from Sennheiser MX 300s over dealing with all of the (ultimately expensive) steps in between.

Of course customs are a big risk since once you get one, there's really no going back. But at least you won't have to mess around with silly portable hi-fi to get amazing sound.

If I were in the market again and apt to spend the money I'd probably just go for the JH16. They're likely no worthwhile upgrade from the JH13 but for only $50 more (less than 5% of what you're already paying) it's a no-brainer if you're in the market for something new.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 36
I think OP made right decision to go with custom IEMs first either try all universal IEMs and end up going to the custom IEMs. The JH13Pro is leader in industery to comepte with even very high end fullsize headphones like Sennheiser HD800 and Ultrasone Edition 9. So with JH13Pro you will get better sense of physical soundstage(width, hight), instrument separation, imaging and all frequencies(highs, mids, bass) sound so clean, clear and extented. Overall listening through JH13Pro is whole lot different experience than all universal IEMs. BTW it will even improve further with AMPs + quality cable's help and it can be use as reference for desktop or with hometheatre use.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #7 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The W3, Shure SE530, and the Triple.fi 10 can all be re-molded into customs with extra drivers if desired. The Tf11 is a popular re-mold of the Triple.fi 10 with an extra mid-driver, and a popular re-mold for the SE530 gets 3 additional drivers.

There are many options for extra drivers, usually based on the perceived deficiencies of the universal IEM to be re-molded.

You could get all three of the above universal IEMs, sell or return the one you like the least, and keep the best as your universal, then send the other one out for a re-mold into a custom, all for less than the price of a JH16 (more or less).

The most popular re-mold houses are Unique Melodies in China, and Fischer Hearing in Florida.

thanks for the advice. i saw a couple people on this forum who have their universals be remolded by unique melody but i can't remember what they said. whetether it was good or not. what about the SQ of the added drivers and the overall "cooperation" with the stock drivers?
i'm afraid of getting them back with some problems and then have them send back etc. but it is a possible and less expensive option.

@ 3X0

i'm still undecided. although it might be braver to go with universals first i somehow want to have a custom one. of course there is going to be the risk of no return but i haven't heard of any complains either. though the thing that is holding me back right now is the price.
people do say that there is quite a difference in SQ and comfort between a good custom and high end universals.

just read about the Monster turbines. has anyone listened to some of them? how is the SQ compared to other universals such as W3,Shure se530, triple.fi 10..? they do look pretty good and solid unlike the W3 which look a bit cheap. =/ i'm afraid that if i drop them the shell is gonna brake. but the shure se530 look pretty solid as well and i have seen people report that the shell broke from a simple drop off the table. shure's support seems to be pretty good though. don't know about Westone or turbine if they would just send you a new pair. shure has done that even after warranty was expired.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #8 of 36
All the suggestions are great upgrades, first, I would look at the files, get them as high grade as possible, if you still have the cds, that cost nothing. If you don't the JH13 or equivalent won't work to its fullest. I have the TF10s and that would be a great upgrade without costing $1100. A good amp would help, the shadow is good, others are good (i.e. pico slim, TTVJ slim, ALO Rx). Good luck and watch out for your wallet.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think OP made right decision to go with custom IEMs first either try all universal IEMs and end up going to the custom IEMs. The JH13Pro is leader in industery to comepte with even very high end fullsize headphones like Sennheiser HD800 and Ultrasone Edition 9. So with JH13Pro you will get better sense of physical soundstage(width, hight), instrument separation, imaging and all frequencies(highs, mids, bass) sound so clean, clear and extented. Overall listening through JH13Pro is whole lot different experience than all universal IEMs. BTW it will even improve further with AMPs + quality cable's help and it can be use as reference for desktop or with hometheatre use.

that is exactly my concern that i might end up with customs anyway. so i thought why not go with customs in the first place and avoid all the trouble that might be caused. i know that the JH13 have quite positive feedback. but i guess i might just wait a little bit more for people to make comparisons between JH16 UE18 and JH13 and then decide. JH16 is only a little bit more expansive.

i will probably end up buying an amp anyway cuz i will probably be blown away by the SQ of the IEM's so that i feel the need to further improve the SQ. haha it is costy though!
frown.gif
-.-'
everybody said it was worth every penny and i believe them i guess since it is not only the opinion of an individual.

but i will go and look for that after i got a good pair of IEM's.

Mar 20, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 36
Actually I have read of one person returning their UE11s after consistent fit issues. It may be possible that UE has some sort of return policy: I'd look into it. Westone may as well; JHA for sure has none.

If cash is a factor universals are serviceable. You have to really be of a certain mindset to want customs -- it is a very planned and involved process (decision, molds, ordering, et alia). I firmly believe that sonically universals simply do not compare in any dimension; it's not even close.

Do not get a portable amplifier. Complete waste of money IMHO.

Mar 20, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If cash is a factor universals are serviceable. You have to really be of a certain mindset to want customs -- it is a very planned and involved process (decision, molds, ordering, et alia). I firmly believe that sonically universals simply do not compare in any dimension; it's not even close.

Do not get a portable amplifier. Complete waste of money IMHO.

thanks, i know that (no offend or anything just stating that i know that) =). cash is a factor for me. i might be satisfied with universals but i won't know until i try some of them out. but i might also not be satisfied with them.
don't know if i could buy one and them turn them back in if i don't like them. cause where i live, things like that usually can't be returned due to hygiene. =/

has noone been able to listen to some Monster turbines? If so, how is the SQ and build quality?

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #13 of 36
Westone has some of the best build quality, better than that of Monster for sure. Quote:

Originally Posted by 3X0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm inclined to disagree with the majority of your post except for the possibility that the OP may be bottlenecked by lower-bitrate files with any top-end custom. It's easy to make such a sweeping write-off of the many benefits of the best customs if you've never owned one.

The fact of the matter is that a flagship custom will offer you a much better experience than any universal will. The JH13s out of an iPhone 3GS sound better than the Triple.fi 10 Pros and IE 8s (and very possibly every other universal) out of a $1200 desktop setup, and in every dimension. That is just on sound alone, not even including the benefits of custom comfort/wearability, and general pleasure of use. Hell, the JH13s wreck my full-size Grado HF2s out of pretty much any source overall (though not as completely and as unequivocally as they do the universal IEMs, since the HF2s do win in slam and certain other elements).

In hindsight, I would have much preferred going straight to the JH13s from Sennheiser MX 300s over dealing with all of the (ultimately expensive) steps in between.

Of course customs are a big risk since once you get one, there's really no going back. But at least you won't have to mess around with silly portable hi-fi to get amazing sound.

If I were in the market again and apt to spend the money I'd probably just go for the JH16. They're likely no worthwhile upgrade from the JH13 but for only $50 more (less than 5% of what you're already paying) it's a no-brainer if you're in the market for something new.

I agree with you as well. My post wasn't meant to be a generalization, and wasn't intended to say that customs aren't worth it, but rather just to make sure that the OP really wanted customs. I mean, jumping from $50 IEMs to $1050 IEMs or whatever the JH-13 was going for is a massive jump. You just have to know how serious you are about the hobby. If you aren't in need of the absolute best, then why spend $800 more than you need to? Westone's IEMs provide excellent fit, and if you are happy with that fit, custom fit isn't as needed. Yes, customs have benefits, and provide a generally nicer experience, but there's a large price gap and the law of diminishing returns does take effect. If you're serious about it, sure, go for the JH-13, but if you just want something that sounds good, you'll be happy with any top tier IEM as long as you do your research and find the one with the sound signature for you. Westone's cable is superb and unless you abuse it I can't see anything happening to it.
So don't break your back to get the customs if you don't need them, though if you really want to work hard to save up enough, you'll definitely be happy. I suppose my point is that you shouldn't be taking financial risks or putting other things on the line to get customs if they aren't needed. I've had plenty of opportunity to get used customs at cheap prices, but I was perfectly happy with what I had at the time. Even though I could afford the customs, I went ahead and used the money for better things, namely starting up a business.

Mar 20, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by fL. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks, i know that (no offend or anything just stating that i know that) =). cash is a factor for me. i might be satisfied with universals but i won't know until i try some of them out. but i might also not be satisfied with them.
don't know if i could buy one and them turn them back in if i don't like them. cause where i live, things like that usually can't be returned due to hygiene. =/

has noone been able to listen to some Monster turbines? If so, how is the SQ and build quality?

You can buy online with 30 days money back guarantee (from headroom) and i think it's good idea to try universal IEMs first if you can return them.

Mar 20, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethan961 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with you as well. My post wasn't meant to be a generalization, and wasn't intended to say that customs aren't worth it, but rather just to make sure that the OP really wanted customs. I mean, jumping from $50 IEMs to $1050 IEMs or whatever the JH-13 was going for is a massive jump. You just have to know how serious you are about the hobby. If you aren't in need of the absolute best, then why spend $800 more than you need to? Westone's IEMs provide excellent fit, and if you are happy with that fit, custom fit isn't as needed. Yes, customs have benefits, and provide a generally nicer experience, but there's a large price gap and the law of diminishing returns does take effect. If you're serious about it, sure, go for the JH-13, but if you just want something that sounds good, you'll be happy with any top tier IEM as long as you do your research and find the one with the sound signature for you. Westone's cable is superb and unless you abuse it I can't see anything happening to it.
So don't break your back to get the customs if you don't need them, though if you really want to work hard to save up enough, you'll definitely be happy. I suppose my point is that you shouldn't be taking financial risks or putting other things on the line to get customs if they aren't needed. I've had plenty of opportunity to get used customs at cheap prices, but I was perfectly happy with what I had at the time. Even though I could afford the customs, I went ahead and used the money for better things, namely starting up a business.

Yeah, I misread your post. I agree with those sentiments. If the OP is still considering Monsters and the like, I think they would be a better choice. When I jumped on the JH13s I was dead-set on them, there were no two-ways about it. No one could convince me otherwise, especially not my friends who insisted dropping that kinda money on "earbuds" was daft. And I came to that steadfast decision on my own, with quite a bit of reading and financial planning. That's what it really takes to make the jump to customs.. responsibly, anyway.

In this light a decent pair of universals should more than suffice. No need to go overboard, as curiosity of this sort can be financially dangerous.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back