GSP Solo
Jun 5, 2004 at 1:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

shard

Head-Fier
I got my GSP Solo with the PSU1 today.

I initially wanted to let it burn in for a few days before listening to it. But I could not resist and after setting it up (iPod (Lossless)-> iPod base-> Zu Pivot-> Solo-> Equinox-> Sennheiser HD650), I put on my headphones. It was two hours later before I could bring myself to remove the headphones.

It is absolutely amazing. It just sounds so right. I own quite a few amps, X-Can V2 with all caps replaced with Blackgates, X-Can V3, Sugden Headmaster and a custom tube headamp/preamp and I think I can safely say that I prefer the Solo over every headphone amp I currently own.

With all the other amps I own (excluding the X-Can V3), be it detail, vocals, instruments, depth, soundstage. bass, quickness etc, there was always something that one did better than the others. The Solo does everything right.

My only concern is that I already like the Solo so much before burn in, I hope it does not sound very different after burn in.

Jun 6, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #2 of 18
Join the club.

Believe me, it will become (even) better.

My Solo needed 3 weeks of cont. burn in to archieve his full potential.

I still don't understand why this amp gets not more attention on this forum.

Jan

Jun 6, 2004 at 6:08 PM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nietzsche
I still don't understand why this amp gets not more attention on this forum.

I can:-

1. Long waiting list, I was told I would wait up to 2 months to get one.
2. Because of the strong pound against the dollar, not many Americans (who make up 90+ % of this forum) will take a chance on an amp they have not heard. Its probably an $800 amp in american money.
3. A few folks on the forum implied it could not sound any good after looking at pics of its internals.

It may well deserve more attention, but it will never get it.

Jun 7, 2004 at 2:10 AM Post #5 of 18
The one in the link is the old one I think. The one I got looks like this:

http://www.gspaudio.co.uk/preamps/headphone.htm

pbirkett brought up some very valid points.

1. There is a long waiting period for this amp, I waited about 2 months if not more for this amp, I had almost given up when I received a call from the local dealer that my Solo had arrived. The long wait was partly due to the fact that this is a new version. It was however worth the wait.

2. List price with the PSU is USD950. Which is alot for a headphone amp.

3. I can only say one thing, looks can be deceiving.

Jun 7, 2004 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by shard

Indeed, there is often a lot of speculation here about products by some folk who aint even heard them. The opinions of someone who has not heard a product are not valid at all to me, unless they qualify it by clearly stating they have not heard it, but to say a product does not sound good just by looking at a photo is ludicrous.

Jun 7, 2004 at 9:18 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

I think it looks really nice. If more reviews of this amplifier come up, it might be on my short list of possible sub $1000 amplifiers along with the Rudistor RP5.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

I got my GSP Solo with the PSU1 today.

I initially wanted to let it burn in for a few days before listening to it. But I could not resist and after setting it up (iPod (Lossless)-> iPod base-> Zu Pivot-> Solo-> Equinox-> Sennheiser HD650), I put on my headphones. It was two hours later before I could bring myself to remove the headphones.

My only concern is that I already like the Solo so much before burn in, I hope it does not sound very different after burn in.

Would you be willing to give us regular updates on how it sounds as you burn it in? I found it improved noticeably after 24 hours, esp. better bass, and then a little more over the next couple of weeks. Also thought it sounded very slightly more laid back at the end of burn-in.

Have you tried it with other sources? My old Rega Planet gives a much better sound through the Solo and HD600's than anything I've been able to get from my iPOD, though I haven't used such a good cable as you have.

I love my Solo, playing good music through it never fails to make me smile. I don't have any other amps to compare it with, so I can't comment on its relative merits.

Jonathan.

Jun 7, 2004 at 3:50 PM Post #9 of 18
The launch of the 2004 version got off to a bad start as there were a few modifications made to the original. The price was then increased and there were long delivery times.
The momentum of several highly favourable reviews was lost due to all this.
Maybe a few favourable reviews will help it.

Jun 8, 2004 at 2:00 AM Post #10 of 18
Its been burning in for about 2 days now.

Bass has gotten really punchy, to the point that I think I can feel it.

Detail seems to have gotten better, it was already very detailed to begin with, moreso than any amp I have heard.

Vocals and guitars sound really good. I mean really really good.

I seriously have not enjoyed listening to music so much since I bought my first headphone amp, the X-Can V2.

I hooked it up to my Sugden CDMaster/Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC 21 and it really makes my iPod sound pretty bad, even in lossless. I think the Solo is one of those amps that really reveals the weaknesses and flaws of a source.

Jun 8, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

I think the Solo is one of those amps that really reveals the weaknesses and flaws of a source.

I'm glad I didnt get one then.

Jun 8, 2004 at 10:26 AM Post #12 of 18
The new enclosure look very nice. Does it now have a power indicator lamp on the front?

If you like the sound more after two days, wait till you hear it after two or three weeks. It continues to improve.

Simon

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:30 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Its been burning in for about 2 days now.

Bass has gotten really punchy, to the point that I think I can feel it.

Detail seems to have gotten better, it was already very detailed to begin with, moreso than any amp I have heard.

Vocals and guitars sound really good. I mean really really good.

I seriously have not enjoyed listening to music so much since I bought my first headphone amp, the X-Can V2.

I hooked it up to my Sugden CDMaster/Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC 21 and it really makes my iPod sound pretty bad, even in lossless. I think the Solo is one of those amps that really reveals the weaknesses and flaws of a source.

Glad you like it shard
smily_headphones1.gif
It'll take a good 4 weeks before it really opens out so if you think it sounds good now you're in for one big surprise a few weeks down the line!

When I was working with Graham on the modifications it became clear that the sound got better and better the longer it was left on so I really do recommend you leave it powered up continuously in order that you realise the full potential of the amp.

I fitted ELNA Silmic capacitors in my test model and it sounded even better (in my opinion) but it was deemed cost prohibitive to fit them into the final production model. At a later date you may want to try swapping the caps over to ELNA Silmics as they do make a difference.

Keep us informed on how the amp sounds during the burn in period.

All the best.

Pinkie.

Jun 10, 2004 at 12:51 AM Post #15 of 18
Ive always heard these are some of the finest sounding amps around. Unfortunately with college coming around I cant spend any more money on amps. Pluh! Maybe someday. Just have to stick with my Perreux for now! Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back