GS1000 vs K701...
Jun 19, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #31 of 179
For the post above about Sony making a GS-1000 like headphone for $500. They already made a wood headphone, but it was more like $4K and lacking bass.

A good way to look at it is GS-1000 tuned by ear - to what sounds good and musical.

The K701 was tuned by techynology - to make it sound accurate.

I felt the K701 was sterile but very enjoyeable to listen to in an analytical way. The bass impact was missing but deep and extended. I wanted to keep it for that but kept going back to the GS-1000. In fact, I liked the musicalness of my Senn HD600/Cardas more. It just made me want to keep listening in comparison.

I think the K701 is a tramendous value, but for me I gotta feel the emotions of the music. That is part of accuracy. You can be accurate in flatness, but inaccurate in bringing the music to life which you would experience live.

Also the K701 has a broad high frequency spike that is needs taming. It's not as flat as it gets portrayed. It is a terrific headphone for the money though.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #32 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortalcoil /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait till you get your GSk.
biggrin.gif

I am waiting.
gs1000.gif

As robm321 pointed out though: All headphones have different characteristics (not frequency response graps), all which appeal to different kind of listeners. It seems people focus so much on what's better that they forget to enjoy the music. Sure, part of the enjoyment lies in analyzing but overanalyzing music kills it as you keep looking for flaws and ways to improve, unable to accept the way it currently sounds like.

Bottom line is, a pair of K701 will sound better to some, while a pair of GS1000 will sound better to others. It's a matter of taste.

Jun 19, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #33 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...part of the enjoyment lies in analyzing but overanalyzing music kills it as you keep looking for flaws and ways to improve, unable to accept the way it currently sounds like. Bottom line is, a pair of K701 will sound better to some, while a pair of GS1000 will sound better to others. It's a matter of taste.

"What's better" is a polemic and more complicated than many here grant, but moving the opposite direction in that all things are equal (it's just a matter of taste/opinion), is even worse. All conversations just got very uninteresting. But speaking of opinion, having owned both, sold both, and having another GS1K being sent to me now, I felt the unGrado was the superior phone with the right equipment. It's just after many meets (and trying MPX3, Zana Deux, Mappletree, RA1, etc.) I haven't found what the equipment is. Hearing how awful it sounded with the RA1, which surely it was tested with, has given me some serious doubts on this matter. So maybe it isn't the superior phone. I'm not sure. The GS1000 is much more finicky in synergy (assuming synergy is possible and I'm hoping the reverse signature WA6 will help here) than the K701. So not only does the K701 handly win in price-performance, but also likely in associated equipment costs. Like all Grados, the GS1000 is quite easy to power, but with its unusual signature, the midrange is very recessed (and I'm no Grado fan so not comparing to the RS1) without the proper amp. Which that is (if it exists) is what I'm wondering.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:02 PM Post #34 of 179
Quote:

Bottom line is, a pair of K701 will sound better to some, while a pair of GS1000will sound better to others. It's a matter of taste.

that statement is the most accurate that can be said about the two headphones sound.
it should put all arguments in that regard to rest. neither is better. it depends which is better for you! can we all agree on that? i just hate constantly hearing one is technically better than the other. you don't listen to "technical". you listen to music.

i will add, whether the price is worth it or they are a good value is also up to each individual person. i stated my opinion. it is not written in stone. everyone can form their own opinion. if you just love the gs1000 then $10,000would probably be worthy to you. likewise if the k701 were to be priced accordingly.

music_man

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:03 PM Post #35 of 179
well, I love my K701. I do think they are great and tremendous Hp for classical music.

I do not find them sibilant at all!

All I say is that - sure, they are neutral! that anyone can say! the thing is, I do prefer neutral and analytical to classical music (and maybe some jazz) for the other music, I do have some Sr325 and DT880 - those are fun!!
biggrin.gif

(BTW, I dont think either that neutral is a bad thing - one can always put on some EQ - which is not that easy with some coloured HP)

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #36 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
"What's better" is a polemic and more complicated than many here grant, but moving the opposite direction in that all things are equal (it's just a matter of taste/opinion), is even worse. All conversations just got very uninteresting. But speaking of opinion, having owned both, sold both, and having another GS1K being sent to me now, I felt the unGrado was the superior phone with the right equipment. It's just after many meets (and trying MPX3, Zana Deux, Mappletree, RA1, etc.) I haven't found what the equipment is. Hearing how awful it sounded with the RA1, which surely it was tested with, has given me some serious doubts on this matter. So maybe it isn't the superior phone. I'm not sure. The GS1000 is much more finicky in synergy (assuming synergy is possible and I'm hoping the reverse signature WA6 will help here) than the K701. So not only does the K701 handly win in price-performance, but also likely in associated equipment costs. Like all Grados, the GS1000 is quite easy to power, but with its unusual signature, the midrange is very recessed (and I'm no Grado fan so not comparing to the RS1) without the proper amp. Which that is (if it exists) is what I'm wondering.

I see your point but some people will prefer one phone over the other, regardless of their sonic signature, price or preformance. A pair of HD600 will always be better than the freebee IEM phones you get with your new Mp3 player, but there is a limit to this as you rise in the price-classes. A pair of GS1000 will sound better and be more musically fulfilling for some than for example a pair of Qualia.

And I didn't mean taste in the sense that everthing is equal. I like brunettes better than blondes. They are both people, but they have different character. Same goes with headphones. Grado GS1000 and AKG K701 are both headphones, but they don't share the same characteristics. Let's say the GS1000 are more musical. That appeals to one crowd (brunettes in this case). The K701, which are more 'neutral' appeals to another (in the case blondes).

How is it not a matter of taste?

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #37 of 179
the 701 and GS1K...I can't think of 2 more different headphones. When I listen to them they each have their strengths...but neither of them are perfect. Getting the right synergy for the GS-1k is really tough. I've put it on the backburner for now.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #38 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by music_man /img/forum/go_quote.gif
that statement is the most accurate that can be said about the two headphones sound. it should put all arguments in that regard to rest. neither is better. it depends which is better for you! can we all agree on that? i just hate constantly hearing one is technically better than the other. you don't listen to "technical". you listen to music.

Prove 'neither is better' if you're eliminating the possibility that either could be better. Those putting forth the argument that the K701 or GS1000 is superior are at least trying to reason the case (valid or not). Those retreating to neither could be possibly be superior need to argue that case, no? And next time you cring at the sound of stock ears buds, etc. that's technical problems. The music is still there.

Seriously, I agree with you somewhat in practice, but in principle there's no way I see the value of just saying 'it depends' to every discussion here. It's up to the reader to decide the value of technical arguments, not the writer to stop all propositions as it may not apply.

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #39 of 179
Quote:

And I didn't mean taste in the sense that everthing is equal. I like brunettes better than blondes. They are both people, but they have different character. Same goes with headphones. Grado GS1000 and AKG K701 are both headphones, but they don't share the same characteristics. Let's say the GS1000 are more musical. That appeals to one crowd (brunettes in this case). The K701, which are more 'neutral' appeals to another (in the case blondes).

How is it not a matter of taste?

Both bondes and brunettes might leave you lonely on the couch if you spend your dough on the cans, instead of their diamond ring....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Talking about blondes vs brunettes... K701 is sterile vs GS1000 is lust.
gs1000.gif

Jun 19, 2007 at 7:41 PM Post #40 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good way to look at it is GS-1000 tuned by ear - to what sounds good and musical.

I wonder how those same ears have once tuned RS-1 and RS-2 to have their beautiful sound signature.

Quote:

I think the K701 is a tramendous value, but for me I gotta feel the emotions of the music.

Me too. That's why I love HD650.
tongue.gif

Quote:

Also the K701 has a broad high frequency spike that is needs taming. It's not as flat as it gets portrayed. It is a terrific headphone for the money though.

Very true. That spike is very painful with many of my tracks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am not going make a battle again
wink.gif

There's nothing to battle for my friend.

Jun 19, 2007 at 11:56 PM Post #41 of 179
i think most of us agree on one thing. the gs1000 and k701 sound very different from one another. my post was not really about the sound. it was about why someone would compare a $300-$400 headphone to a $995 one. i think that has also been addressed in this thread. by those that simply do not feel the gs1000 is a $1,00 phone and those that feel top of the line is just that regardless of the price tag. both headphones are their respective companies finest offerings. furthermore, even though the gs1000 is at a higher price point grado is not a company that outclasses akg, thus offering more expensive products. akg sells microphones that cost more than the gs1000. they also made the k1000. which intrestingly the k701 is supposed to replace. maybe look at it that way. regardless of what sound you prefer and from what headphones. my point was it is fair to compare the two at their respective price ranges. that is what i was addressing. as to whether they are even comparable sound wise is a different issue entirely.

i will say as to the sound it might depend on what people listen to. that may speak volumes of which headphones in general they prefer. if i were to say i listen to jazz fusion(flim,ritenour), easy listening(neil diamond,paul simon),classical pops(offenbach,gershwin) you may fully understand why i prefer the k701. or maybe not. now, when i listen to ferry corsten,tupac and kid creol the gs1000 steps up to the plate in a way that the k701 does not for me.

i do not feel that either phone is in an entirely different class of the other. therefore i feel even though there is a large monetary difference the comparison is warranted. if solely from a financial standpoint. the fact remains that sonically we are comparing apples and oranges. this is not however likened to comapring triports to the he90. it will boil down to what each individual prefers between these two. their is a large price difference, i do not see a large class difference. i know others dissagree. we can easily find ten people on either side of the fence. so that proves my point. no one in their right mind will say triports are better than the he90
wink.gif

music_man

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:19 AM Post #42 of 179
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are you comparing a $300 phone to a $1000 phone? You make no mention of musical tastes, house sound preferences, nothing. There are lots of threads where people have written about the GS1000 now, and about 10 million where the K701 was discussed.

450.00 phone. You have the GS at retail price, so lets be fair to the AKG's please..

Jun 20, 2007 at 12:20 AM Post #43 of 179
I would go to an audio shop :p

Jun 20, 2007 at 4:54 AM Post #44 of 179
Quote:

i was not even trying to talk about the sound though.

first of all i think that if you look at the technology and r&d the k701 is technically superior. again, nothing to do with sound!

So your argument is that AKG has done some R&D and put a name on their driver - 'VariMotion' - and therefore they're better. Nevermind the fact that you don't know what R&D and experience has gone into the GS1k driver - all you need is to know that AKG did some R&D and your mind is made up? Come on.

Quote:

well, in many paragraphs i am complaining they are too expensive for what we get. that can be argued also. rightfully so, i already mentioned the reasons they probably cost what they do. small company etc.

no one will ever agree on their price or their sound. it is up to each individual what they hear and their wallet thinks. i am simply stating my personal opinion on this since i did not see this thread when it was new. i feel i am somewhat qualified to do so since i have owned gs1000's since shortly after they were released. i have heard them extensively.
my k701's have thousands of hours and the gs1000's hundreds.

Hundreds of hours? They need 300-400 hours just to burn in, more than even the K701. I wouldn't call that extensive listening. Also, the price has to do with the fact that they are technically superior headphones. It has nothing to do with the size of the company, and you can see that by the fact that the SR-60 is such great value.

Quote:

to recap, my point was not about sound. it was indeed about value.

Value is dependent on taste. You can have your own opinion on value and I won't argue with you about it for one second - but there are certain things that don't depend on your taste, and I've already pointed them out - they are that the GS are more detailed, much faster, have more precise imaging, and are better at complex layering. If you don't think they are $1000 headphones, that's fine by me, but don't pretend that conclusion has anything more substantive than your personal taste to back it up.

Jun 20, 2007 at 8:01 AM Post #45 of 179
some of the people in this thread that have defended the gs1000 have shown up as gs1000 fanboys in many threads regarding them. you like them. opinions. some people love them some don't. as i said before you never have a problem finding 10 people that feel either way about gs1000 vs. k701. this is not a ferrari motor vs. a hyundai motor. neither is so much more sophisticated in it's manufacture than the other. or it's sound. whether one agrees with this statement is opinion not fact. look at grados frequency chart. regardless of how they sound. look at the uneven lacquer, sanding and tooling marks, glue drips. common to most all examples of grado. worthy of $1,000? first and foremost the sound? i say average. certainly not $1,000.

that is my opinion. the gs1000,grado fanboys will vigorously defend their position via many posts on the subject. different strokes for different folks.

now, where are the k701 fanboys at? i know you are out there! http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=221603
smily_headphones1.gif

music_man

Users who are viewing this thread

Back