GS1000 for a modest rig?
Aug 6, 2007 at 4:30 PM Post #16 of 32
325i's love detail, I say upgrade your source
biggrin.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #17 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The GS1Ks are the most finicky cans I've ever owned. Even sold my first pair because of the sound. The GS1K is missing the midrange with most top amps, let alone from portables, etc. Don't be fooled by its low impedance. This isn't one of those cases where you need the right setup to do justice to the Grados. You need the right setup for them to sound good, period. Not sure what "modest" means in the title, but be warned.

I saw your sig - IMO, your setup is definitely modest, but honestly, mine isn't much more modest than yours. IME, GS1k's will reveal with great brutality exactly what your system is made of and puts out. be warned...

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My GS1000 sounds great straight out of a juli@ sound card, but that's probably more powerful than a portable mp3 player. As much as I like them, $500 of your GS1000 purchase would go towards hearing the defects in the rest of your system. They are ruthless phones. Also, I wouldn't be caught dead lugging around $1000 mahogany phones. The wood scratches easy.

what he said - gs1k's are not portable, and don't necessarily take well to transportable, unless you don't mind knocking them around.

IMO, if you want to upgrade (depending on your $$$ situation), first upgrade to RS-1 if you want better cans, get yourself a good dac (see my sig - awesome quality for cheaper than DAC-1/Lavry DA-10, but have built in headphone amps - can be nice feature) and a digital source to feed the dac (can be had for cheap and IMO, doesn't have to be expensive as an external DAC does most of the work). Then, once you've got your next itch (or more money to burn), get the gs1k's with a SUITABLE amp. these cans react very differently to different amps which is why people kinda hated them when they first came out...IMO, stick with as neutral a SS amp as you can get.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:27 PM Post #18 of 32
I am almost exactly in teh same position. I have the cash from a coding work I just did for either the GS 1000 or the RS1. I've been reading about both for over a week now and have yet to decide. My setup is different though. I have SR 225s a Corda move, a Yamaha RC-V1700 at home (never use it for headphones though) and a Darkvoice 336i coming my way.

I am using an iPod with an ALO cable or the PC using the Corda Move DAC with lossless music as the source, and at home I use a Toshiba HD-DVD player for CDs (It has the best DACs at home from my modest equipment).

I am torn between trying a different sound signature from the GS 1000 or the same one I love from my SR 225 from the RS1. From what I've read the GS 1000 is very different from the typical Grado sound, but offer a bigger sound stage, specially with classical, blues and Jazz (which is what I probably will be using though).

If it were a decision purely base on looks I'd go for the RS1 in a heartbeat. But it is not, it is about the sound. And I am afraid that they will sound too close to my SR 225 with the equipment I have. The problem I have though is that I live in Mexico. I have to import them, and an opportunity is just around the corner just for that (my cousin is going to the US, since his wife is from a city in the US, I can ship them there and have him bring them to me). So as you can imagine I cannot try them out before buying.

Maybe I cannot help you at all with this post, but I wanted to post what my findings have been. Most people apparently didn't like the GS1000 as much as the RS1. Of course there is the matter of how much time they've been available in the market, but I don't see as much appreciation threads or wallpapers for the GS 1000. I know that is more of a fad indicator than anything and I also must add that I a more inclined for the GS 1000.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #19 of 32
Well, I placed an order for the GS1k's last night, so the die is cast. On the one hand, because I have not heard these cans through a premium setup, they may not strike me as "ruthless" as others have found they can be. On the other hand, if everything sounds like carp, I'll know not to blame the 'phones!

Gotta say, a DAC was not on my radar, previously, but in reading this thread, I'm getting the impression that this item might be next on my list? Heck, I don't really understand what they do, so I guess I got me some studyin' to do.

Aug 6, 2007 at 5:43 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe I cannot help you at all with this post, but I wanted to post what my findings have been. Most people apparently didn't like the GS1000 as much as the RS1. Of course there is the matter of how much time they've been available in the market, but I don't see as much appreciation threads or wallpapers for the GS 1000. I know that is more of a fad indicator than anything and I also must add that I a more inclined for the GS 1000.

I figured lack of hubbub might be due the fact that just not a lot of folks spring $1K for a set of cans. Plus, as you say, they're fairly new on the market. But from what I can find, though, they're very well reviewed. Apparently not the stickler for details my 325i's are, but supposedly they ooze with musicality, and sound absolutley fab at low levels, which is a big selling point for me.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #21 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torula Yeast /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I placed an order for the GS1k's last night, so the die is cast. On the one hand, because I have not heard these cans through a premium setup, they may not strike me as "ruthless" as others have found they can be. On the other hand, if everything sounds like carp, I'll know not to blame the 'phones!

I doubt you will dislike them. Should have bought them with the Black Dragon though.
evil_smiley.gif

I hope you will enjoy them as much as I do.

Aug 6, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...IMO, stick with as neutral a SS amp as you can get.

For the record this is exactly opposite as I recommend. While other considerations like current, etc. would come into play with loads, on the SS/tube front, you really need to work with the GS1Ks "reverse" response curve to get them to sound best. For that reason a bit of a bubble amp signature helps this Grado especially. As a side benefit it also helps soften the sibilance. There are plenty of wonderful amps I wish I could afford (Zana Duex for instance) that don't sound right with the GS1Ks (at least with stock tubes) and the GS1K midrange "issue". There are better, more balanced tubes even with my Woo that shows this "issue" too and thus to be avoided. As always it's about synergy, but I'd disagree with Omendelovitz in where the aim should be. Different strokes of course. I agree though in his definition of modest.
wink.gif

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:08 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the record this is exactly opposite as I recommend. While other considerations like current, etc. would come into play with loads, on the SS/tube front, you really need to work with the GS1Ks "reverse" response curve to get them to sound best. For that reason a bit of a bubble amp signature helps this Grado especially. As a side benefit it also helps soften the sibilance. There are plenty of wonderful amps I wish I could afford (Zana Duex for instance) that don't sound right with the GS1Ks (at least with stock tubes) and the GS1K midrange "issue". There are better, more balanced tubes even with my Woo that shows this "issue" too and thus to be avoided. As always it's about synergy, but I'd disagree with Omendelovitz in where the aim should be. Different strokes of course. I agree though in his definition of modest.
wink.gif

What about the EC/SS? I've heard that works well with the GS1000?

I'm also curious as to how the Stello DA100 would mate with them.

Aug 6, 2007 at 7:16 PM Post #25 of 32
I've just started exploring the 120ohm output of my Opera (after using the 0ohm constantly since I got the headphones). With a couple of hundred hours of burn in, they sound amazing. A much more relaxed sound. Highs could be harsh with some songs but now they are very smooth and enjoyable.

The impedance boost from the Opera seems to do the GS1000 well. Colors them a bit towards the warmer side which the (sometimes) sharp highs can benefit from.

I'm with blessingx. Don't go for a neutral amplifier, go for the oppsite.

Aug 6, 2007 at 9:39 PM Post #26 of 32
it seems my neutral amp comment wasn't well received - I can understand why...Let me clarify. I listen at LOW levels, not ear blasting, so I don't hear the peaking these cans are capable of...

I personally wouldn't recommend the EC/SS for these cans - bass will sound overbearing and mushy(boomy?).

In general, I believe that a warm can needs to balanced out with a cold amp. Tube amps tend to be warm, which can sound euphonic, but also sloppy. I'm a stickler for detail and accuracy as well, I should've mentioned that as well.

Artemio, I wouldn't worry about the 225's sounding too "close" to the RS-1's. I love the 225's, but the 1's are in a league well beyond the 225's...if you get the 1's, sell the 225's and save for a nicer source or the eventual mating of the 1's with a gs1k... my 2c.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:00 AM Post #27 of 32
I upgraded to GS-1000's from 325i's, they do sound alot better after you get some usage one them. But, unlike the 325i's the GS-1's are worth the extra dole for the comfort alone(if you wear your headphones for long hours on end benders like me then you'll understand). LOL.

Oct 3, 2007 at 10:38 AM Post #28 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about the EC/SS? I've heard that works well with the GS1000?

It's good for its price range, but you can do much better when you climb the ladder.

I've read good reports on Grace 902, Yamamoto HA-2, Meier Opera, and personally, I use the SP Extreme with Chatham 6AS7G and flat plate VT-231.

Oct 5, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #29 of 32
i drive my gs1k with a Yamaha dvd-s2700 and a Musical Fidelity x-can v2 and they sound great
gs1000.gif

Oct 5, 2007 at 6:13 PM Post #30 of 32
I absolutely hate my GS1000 when played amped by my Cary 300SEI w/Sophia Meshplates. They love Solid State, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back