GS1000 foam pads
Aug 10, 2006 at 3:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ToneDeath

Head-Fier
Are the Grado GS1000 foam ear pads available separate? If used on a pair of RS1 or 2's how would it affect the soundstage? The comfort level surely would change.

TD

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 17
cool.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by ToneDeath
Are the Grado GS1000 foam ear pads available separate? If used on a pair of RS1 or 2's how would it affect the soundstage? The comfort level surely would change.

TD

They are not avail sep yet, but will be soon.
Merc along with some other headfi members have commented on the pads being used on the older Grado cans..and it doesn't fly.

It sucks out the mids big time..and leaves you on a beach listening to tunes from the strip, where the bass and extreme overtones in the way of highs is all you hear..
I have tried it with the RS-1/2, MS1, SR-60..no dice..

Did not try it on my PS-1s though..sold them before these came out.

Hope this helps, perhaps more info on the forum, if you search

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #5 of 17
Don't do it, they're not returnable. Todd from TTVJ told me in person that he really reccomends against people doing it.

Sucks the midrange right out, and you can say bye bye bass.

Oct 6, 2006 at 7:26 AM Post #6 of 17
A little bumpage...
How about taking the GS1000 pads and modding them... Grinding them down so they aren't as tall. Dremels are great for grinding foam.

I like bowl pads when they are new. Problem is (IMHO) after 3-4 months they get soggy and dont hold their shape very well. I start to loose treble and the airy soundstage.
frown.gif
frown.gif

i know what youre all thinking.... I dont really care for flat pads, and I dont need my RS1s any "warmer" my tube amps and source/DAC is warm enough... I DO desire the added soundstage and treble "air" of new hard bowls.

So... what do you all think? Are GS1000 pads available?

Thanks,
Garrett

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #7 of 17
Actually, iamdone and I tried them on the PS-1. They didn't sound all that bad. They gave them a bigger soundstage.

That being said the PS-1 sounds better with bowls.

Oct 6, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
A little bumpage...
How about taking the GS1000 pads and modding them... Grinding them down so they aren't as tall. Dremels are great for grinding foam.

I like bowl pads when they are new. Problem is (IMHO) after 3-4 months they get soggy and dont hold their shape very well. I start to loose treble and the airy soundstage.
frown.gif
frown.gif

i know what youre all thinking.... I dont really care for flat pads, and I dont need my RS1s any "warmer" my tube amps and source/DAC is warm enough... I DO desire the added soundstage and treble "air" of new hard bowls.

So... what do you all think? Are GS1000 pads available?

Thanks,
Garrett

Get another pair of bowls? They're only $15, half what flats cost.

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321

I echo robs statement
wink.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321
Actually, iamdone and I tried them on the PS-1. They didn't sound all that bad. They gave them a bigger soundstage.

Yeah, we only listened for a few minutes but I was enjoying what I heard. I'd have to spend more time to see if it's worth $50 for when I want a big soundstage for classical or whatever else. I'll try the GS1000 bowls again on the PS-1 at the Bay Area meet.

Oh, we also tried the regular bowls on the GS1000 and it also sounded pretty good. Not as good as the RS-1 or PS-1, but it's a nice way to change the sound of the GS1000 for more energenic rock music.

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:24 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx
Are the C-pads being considered?

Yeah I just might give them a try.
cool.gif

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:46 PM Post #13 of 17
Side note... I wonder if anyone has tried the GS-1000s with bowl pads. That would be interesting....

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arspy87
Side note... I wonder if anyone has tried the GS-1000s with bowl pads. That would be interesting....

Many have,and some have even posted in this very thread
tongue.gif
look up.
I have tried this a number of times and to me it provides more of an energetic, less organic, forward sound to the presentation. It also truncates the SS down to a smaller size..and the marks in the higher register do not seem right to my ears...

Gives the feeling of a PS/RS to the GS when using bowls, but not quite the same MR or fluidity, not to mention attack

Oct 6, 2006 at 8:57 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by arspy87

Um.. iamdone and I tried that one too. I agree with iamdone's assesment:

Oh, we also tried the regular bowls on the GS1000 and it also sounded pretty good. Not as good as the RS-1 or PS-1, but it's a nice way to change the sound of the GS1000 for more energenic rock music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back