GS1000 and system to make them happy
Sep 4, 2008 at 8:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

fallow81

100+ Head-Fier
Hey.

Im GS1000 owner. Im happy etc.
smily_headphones1.gif

The thing is...I'm using Lynx Two as source, RudiStor NX33 as the amp and GS1000. What I want to change is make my system more involing and musical. Without harshness - I dont want to sacrifice attack and release quality.

Additional touch of warmth will be welcome but speed, PRaT must be saved
smily_headphones1.gif

Im looking for a DAC in this case. Must be a balanced one.

What do You thinkg about C.E.C. DX51 ?

Im thinking also about PS Audio Digital Link III (With Stage I or Stage III Cullen Mod) or Stello DA100 Signature.

Sep 4, 2008 at 9:45 AM Post #2 of 31
Maybe I am wrong, but I think Rudi is the issue up here. You need some tubes between, imo. Never tried NX33, but RPX100 well, didnt like it.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:21 AM Post #3 of 31
Hm. From other side I know a guy who love RPX33 and GS1000 but he has tube source. Im thinking with tubes or analog sounding DAC - it will be much better than with studio presentation of Lynx.

Sep 4, 2008 at 10:34 AM Post #6 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am getting the GS1000 to!
What so bad about SS amp with them?!

Nothing bad for me
smily_headphones1.gif
RudiStor is great for me but source is too clinical and flat - just a studio kind of presentation.

GS1000 likes analogue sound with colour exposition. Sustain should be even overpainted - That's why it is good to have at least one element of the system which sounds like analogue.

Tube amp, tube source, or analog soundins source, amp or DAC

In my case, even musical RudiStor is not efficient, more analogue source is needed
smily_headphones1.gif

Why not RS1 ? Because I want soundstage and not headstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #8 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadLover /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok so what will u use?
And what so bad about studio sound?
I love the hear all the details, isn't it the reason for buying GRADO ?!

No..
smily_headphones1.gif

If You want to hear all details and If You like studio presentation. Better choice will be for example Sony MDR-SA5000 or Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO or AKG K272/271/270 Studio.

Grado for me is providing natural music presentation. As music sounds without electronic exposure, without amplifications. So not like on big rock concert with "100000W" seakers but like in cameral jazz club or filharmony.

Studio presentation has a lot of details and is extremly neutral but not natural. Bright with reduced colours to provide easy mastering and to look deeper into the material.

To provide natural sounding system - better not to use studio presentation
smily_headphones1.gif

Of course that's only my opinion.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:13 AM Post #9 of 31
ok
smily_headphones1.gif

As much as I see it, I love the GS1000 for being with a lot of details, and I love it for being "in your face"
Like when hearing double bass on a metal album or fine high details on a classic albums
for me, using SS is nicer, I can get more details and more "in your face" style
smily_headphones1.gif

(I don't want "laid back" style)

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:36 AM Post #10 of 31
Quote:

Why not RS1 ? Because I want soundstage and not headstage

There's no true soundstage in headphones, because it's physically imposible. Soundstage imitation in headphones is called "headstage".

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #11 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by QQQ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no true soundstage in headphones, because it's physically imposible. Soundstage imitation in headphones is called "headstage".

Of course. But comparing for example Sony MDR R10, Grado GS1000 or AKG K1000 "headstage" to other headphones - I called it soundstage
wink.gif

It is such a difference.

Sep 4, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #12 of 31
GS1k in your face, well, that's something new for me. HP1000, PS1 or any other Grado are in your face by their nature, but GS1000 are airy, with amazing soundstage, which puts all musicians nicely in their place without any rare mix between and at the same time not become to distant. Another thing is, their midrange. If you amplification can not deliver that, your GS1k will suck big time, imo. I do not think GS1k needs more detail or else from your amp, but full control/support above, cos pushing them to do some what they already are could possibly misbalance them, imo.
Like a lot of people already said/wrote, begin with your source, no matter what set up, and then amp+headphones. I wasn't in the position to do so, but other way around, so I know all ****y things about GS1000...But because of that I do believe that GS1k potentials are way underrated by a lot of folks, but that's how the life is, for some fair for other less than that...
I don't have anything against SS amps, o.k., it is just what your sound sig preferences are. Some like analytical, dry and freaking neutral , but others just enjoy the music with all faults and beauties along, but non of them are wrong, imo.

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #14 of 31
100% agree Blackmore.
GS1000 has big potential - but all system components must have great synergy togheter and more over - synergy (as all system) with GS1000.

It is a matter of taste which presentation somebody likes better - everyone can set a system for yourself.

Nothing is wrong with SS. GS1000 just in overall likes "analogue" sounding components, so it is much easier to build tube system for GS1000 than find good solid state system for GS1000.

In my taster the best mix is to mix SS with tubes componenets togheter. For Example tube source and SS amp or SS source and tube amp.

Im not saying that full SS system is wrong, but it is much more difficult to find a good one for GS1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back