GS-1000s and pad swapping.
Jun 22, 2006 at 3:26 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by zozo
I use flats. To me, the bagels make the mids sound like they are scooped out. Vocals sound too thin for my tastes. But worst of all, alot of my favorite recordings (JPOP
icon10.gif
) are highly sibiliant and the bagels don't make you forget it. Flats collapse the soundstage considerably, but to my ears, make the mids return, give vocals weight, and take away all the sibiliance (HF rolloff?). I have little comfort problems with the 325i with flats, so the GS-1000 with flats is no problem for me. In fact, the GS-1000 with bagels are one of the warmest circumaural headphones I have ever tried. Besides, with the flats, you get extra bass
basshead.gif

basshead.gif
basshead.gif
Wow - seriously? I tried it with flats and it rattles the brain. Couldn't stand it for more than a few seconds. But if you enjoy it, get on with your bad self.

Jun 22, 2006 at 9:55 PM Post #18 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle
Moving the drivers away from your ears just provides hi-fi jollies and artificial "soundstages" while distorting the truth. In-ear phones should come closest to correct.

I have contemplated this and posted about this before, in regards to supra-aural vs. circumaural, and which is the more "true" and "accurate" presentation.

I came in with the mindset that supra-aural is easily more accurate and true because the sound enters directly into the canal without having to interact with the pinna. The pinna of the ear can be perceived as a "room" in which sound bounces off, absorbs, and reflects sound, creating various comb filtering effects and frequency response deviations to the final sound we perceive. Circumaural in my mindset was obviously less true and accurate because sound is able to interact with the pinna and thus the obvious comb filtering effects and frequency response deviations would affect the accuracy of the sound.

Then someone mentioned that as humans we naturally use all of our ears including the pinna to hear any type of sound or live musical event.

So who is to say what is more true, the right way to listen? Supra-aural and even going further IEM's you completely avoid the pinna and sound is shot straight into the canal exactly as recorded. Circumaural, yeah you get those deviations but we "naturally" use our pinnas to hear in real life so their's a case to be made that it is more natural with circumaural.

I'm not trying to start anything, just trying to propose a different modality of thought perhaps on what your stating. If anything the questions is more philosophical and subjective than objective so i'll leave it at that

Jun 23, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #19 of 24
Very well put.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:03 PM Post #20 of 24
Quote:

Never understood this concept. The microphone(s) positioning during recording dictates what "distance" you should be perceiving. If it's close mic'd, it's close. Distant, likewise.

This is why all this talk on Head-Fi about soundstage is utter hogwash IMO. If something is close-mic'd and layered, ain't gonna be much of a soundstage on any headphone. If it was recorded like the old Mercury Living Presence recordings (i.e. minimal mic'ing but placed in an 'audience' perspective, then the headphone will likely also reveal this, regardless of what you paid for it. Moving the drivers away from your ears just provides hi-fi jollies and artificial "soundstages" while distorting the truth. In-ear phones should come closest to correct.

I agree. I do a lot of stereo recording: binaural, coincident, near coincident etc... and when played back on Grado 325i with flats the soundstage is very realistic. when played back on senn 580 the sound is noticably reverberant in those large cups.

Jun 23, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
I found the bagels to be the cause of the larger treble spike, also hearing it when I put them on ps-1's.

Biggie.

If found this too, but only past 65-70 DB on the spl, when I listen at the moderate volume (low Level where you can easily hear yourself and others speak), there is not the treble spike and the balance is dead on (like Harry's tongue in DmbNDmbr).. when listening at the lower level smooth highs mids although pushed right at the same level..and the bass in your face and all around but controlled and focused, like the senses call for
wink.gif
to my ears.

"D'ai tzaved tza zseat foo'ya"

Jun 23, 2006 at 5:15 PM Post #22 of 24
The GS-1000's sounded amazing both with the bowl pads and the bagel pads.....

Somehow, they seem to sound better than when i first received them...I guess the sound really does break after about 150 hours ++.....

Also, listening to them makes me feel so relaxed....I realised that this is actually no good....
mad.gif
I've got a exam coming in 3 days time and I've not passed the first page of my notes for the pass 6 hours....I've been listening to them and surfing headfi...I'am so dead now!!!
eek.gif
Headfi must be taken down! The GS-1000's must be confiscated!!!!
mad.gif
ARGH!!!!!!!

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by midlife
I agree. I do a lot of stereo recording: binaural, coincident, near coincident etc... and when played back on Grado 325i with flats the soundstage is very realistic. when played back on senn 580 the sound is noticably reverberant in those large cups.

It just seemed to me that you are creating an artifical concert "hall" (when the drivers are placed away from the ear in a cavity) that does not exist in the recordings. But recstar24 does make some good points about the outer ear (pinnae) coming into play, although it was my understanding that the pinnae was more for localising sound sources.

Jun 24, 2006 at 2:41 PM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

It just seemed to me that you are creating an artifical concert "hall" (when the drivers are placed away from the ear in a cavity) that does not exist in the recordings. But recstar24 does make some good points about the outer ear (pinnae) coming into play, although it was my understanding that the pinnae was more for localising sound sources.

Actually the reason you can hear soundstage on a lot of studio recordings is because they already artificially put it in there when they master the recording. They use software to setup the positioning and distance of everything. Speakers and good headphones pick this up.

My friend is a band and did all the recording and mixing himself but was talking about how it had no depth or soundstage and that they can adjust this in mastering. They also adjust the sound level so all the songs are at the same level and last, adjust the sound so the music will sound good on a bunch of different sources. Most music is not mastered to sound the best on highend equipment since it is marketed to the masses and does not reflect how it will be played back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back