GS-1000 sounding harsh with distant vocals
Apr 19, 2007 at 11:24 AM Post #77 of 103
The biggest issue amping them correctly, IMO. There are a lot of threads about it already, so just search and you will find what you need.

Quote:

Originally Posted by s2k /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also aiming GS-1000s, but some posts are shaking my confidence....

Apr 19, 2007 at 9:44 PM Post #78 of 103
in your opinion,what type of amp is better for them?tube amp or SS?
and btw how do they compare to K-1000?
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest issue amping them correctly, IMO. There are a lot of threads about it already, so just search and you will find what you need.

Apr 19, 2007 at 10:58 PM Post #79 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by gswpete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, I'll be there on Sunday. Looking forward to it.

Right now...RA-1 + GS-1000 + bowls = sweet music

I have a feeling the PS-1 might be the right headphone for you. It's more refined than the GS1000 and sounds better with bowls since they were tuned with them. They also have the bass punch and presence the GS1000 provide.

I thought the GS1000 with bagels on the right equipment sounded pretty good but it still didn't change it's overall sound. The mids are not as sweet as the PS-1 no matter what I heard the GS1000 on. The bowls completely change the GS1000 but kind of ruin the whole point of having the GS1000.

I'm not sure if anyone else is bringing a stock PS-1 to the meet but I'll only be there Saturday probably 12-6, so if you make it Saturday, it will give a good perspective on all the highend Grados. I'm looking forward to spending more time with the HP-2.

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:23 PM Post #80 of 103
I agree with iamdone. As long as you don't listen to a lot of symphonic music requiring a spread out large soundstage, the PS-1 would smooth things out for you.

It comes at a higher price and is hard to find, but it might suit your needs better.

How's your wallet feeling now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:31 PM Post #81 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree with iamdone. As long as you don't listen to a lot of symphonic music requiring a spread out large soundstage, the PS-1 would smooth things out for you.

It comes at a higher price and is hard to find, but it might suit your needs better.

How's your wallet feeling now
very_evil_smiley.gif

Even if one goes with the PS-1, I believe that a descent amp is also a requirement. You can't just plug the PS-1 to a little dot and expect to get the "Wow"....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #82 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if one goes with the PS-1, I believe that a descent amp is also a requirement. You can't just plug the PS-1 to a little dot and expect to get the "Wow"....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually I thought the PS-1 sound pretty good even out of an ipod. It's just that the PS-1 scales up nicely where is sounds amazing. I never really heard them sound bad. Some equipment can give them too much bass though and would eventually wear you down.

Edit: Also, looks like the original poster is going to have some very nice equipment and looks like he willing to spend the money. Now it's just a matter of finding one.

Apr 20, 2007 at 2:34 AM Post #83 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a feeling the PS-1 might be the right headphone for you. It's more refined than the GS1000 and sounds better with bowls since they were tuned with them. They also have the bass punch and presence the GS1000 provide.

I thought the GS1000 with bagels on the right equipment sounded pretty good but it still didn't change it's overall sound. The mids are not as sweet as the PS-1 no matter what I heard the GS1000 on. The bowls completely change the GS1000 but kind of ruin the whole point of having the GS1000.

I'm not sure if anyone else is bringing a stock PS-1 to the meet but I'll only be there Saturday probably 12-6, so if you make it Saturday, it will give a good perspective on all the highend Grados. I'm looking forward to spending more time with the HP-2.

Hehe, the GS1000 and the Opera are things that are putting major hurt on my wallet, I don't think (at least not now) I'll be able to go beyond these. As it stands, the GS1000 with bowls feel like the MS-Pro with much deeper bass and a slightly larger soundstage. The mids are full and sweet and everything I'm looking for. Now is just a matter of listening to all the stuff I listen to and see how each track sounds in this setup.

Apr 20, 2007 at 3:32 AM Post #84 of 103
Quote:

Hehe, the GS1000 and the Opera are things that are putting major hurt on my wallet, I don't think (at least not now) I'll be able to go beyond these. As it stands, the GS1000 with bowls feel like the MS-Pro with much deeper bass and a slightly larger soundstage. The mids are full and sweet and everything I'm looking for. Now is just a matter of listening to all the stuff I listen to and see how each track sounds in this setup.

I was just assuming if the GS1000 didn't work out for and you sold them and RA1 and whatever else and stuck with the PS-1 and Opera. On my brief listen to the GS1000 w/bowls vs the PS-1 w/bowls, the PS-1 was the clear winner. I did prefer the GS1000 w/bowls vs them with bagels though. I didn't like the bagels on the PS-1 at all. Changed all the great things I liked about them.

Apr 20, 2007 at 7:58 AM Post #85 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by iamoneagain /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was just assuming if the GS1000 didn't work out for and you sold them and RA1 and whatever else and stuck with the PS-1 and Opera. On my brief listen to the GS1000 w/bowls vs the PS-1 w/bowls, the PS-1 was the clear winner. I did prefer the GS1000 w/bowls vs them with bagels though. I didn't like the bagels on the PS-1 at all. Changed all the great things I liked about them.

How much are the PS-1s again?
evil_smiley.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 8:38 AM Post #86 of 103
Quote:

How much are the PS-1s again?
evil_smiley.gif

I'd say $1800-$2000, assuming you can find someone who wants to sell them.

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #88 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd say $1800-$2000, assuming you can find someone who wants to sell them.

Yeah, that's the problem. I got a like new pair with only 10 hours on them for cost, so I got lucky. I knew I'd be able to sell them for more if I didn't like them or couldn't afford them anymore, so it was risk free. Seems $1800 has now become the minimum. Even at $1400, I wasn't sure they were that much better than the RS-1. Now with my new source, I can hear a big difference.

I plan to keep for them as long as I can. Hopefully I'm never in a situation where I have to sell them. I grew up listening to headphone over speakers, so I always know I'll need some kind of headphone setup. If I ever had to, the SR-60 would still keep me happy.

Apr 21, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #89 of 103
I actually prefer them to the PS-1, at least atm.

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #90 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Accuracy goes to the K-1000
But musicality would have to go to the GS-1000

As an owner of both the K1000 and the GS-1000, I think robm321's description succinctly nails the relative sound of these two cans. If I were a studio recording engineer, the K1000's transparency would be ideal. But for just sitting back and listening to music for any length of time, they're almost too intense. The GS-1000 retains all the detail and the massive soundstage, but somehow presents it in a more mellow fashion.

I listen to both cans on a Cary 300SEI tube amp, as well as on a Grace m902 DAC/headphone amp. Both amps are capable of driving the K1000 directly from their headphone jacks, and I have also listened extensively to the K1000 from the Cary speaker outputs. The Grace m902 has really nice synergy with the GS-1000. I hear none of the problems that other users describe, such as midrange suck out, or loose bass, or harsh highs. While listening to the GS-1000 through the m902, I get that audio euphoria feeling far more often than I've ever had with the K1000, or even with my Zu Druid speakers for that matter.

By the way, don't judge the GS-1000 sound until they're broken in for 100 to 200 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back